Kawfee beanz, DIY and assorted Shenaniganery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Whee - fun times (not).

So, we got our change back to very cold, plus snow. I went out to snowblow and saw a couple foot diameter hole, several feet deep, immediately adjacent to the driveway, along the line where a drainage culvert goes from a drainage ditch on one side, outlet goes to a seasonal stream that has its own culvert under the state highway). Probing, it looks like it extends about 18" into the paved area.

Our driveway is about 8' above where the culvert is, and it's probably about a 30' total length of culvert. Multiple calls and eventually someone from state DOT stopped by, agreed that yes, likely a culvert failure, and said that at least under current rules it's homeowner responsibility to replace, though I can see if his supervisor is willing to do it. Either way I need to talk to the supervisor, and it takes a state highway permit, and nothing can be done until Tuesday (MLK day).

So, likely looking at a multi $k repair ( a lot of excavation, putting in the new pipe, backfill, then probably do the final driveway repair in the spring - We're back into bad winter weather), and driving is kinda iffy (worker bee said we can probably hug the far edge of the driveway for now, but no idea if that hole under the driveway will keep extending further).

Joys...

O. M. EFF. G.

Bad word, bad word, bad word, bad word..... So sorry Mark - that SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tejas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
East Texas
Whee - fun times (not).

So, we got our change back to very cold, plus snow. I went out to snowblow and saw a couple foot diameter hole, several feet deep, immediately adjacent to the driveway, along the line where a drainage culvert goes from a drainage ditch on one side, outlet goes to a seasonal stream that has its own culvert under the state highway). Probing, it looks like it extends about 18" into the paved area.

Our driveway is about 8' above where the culvert is, and it's probably about a 30' total length of culvert. Multiple calls and eventually someone from state DOT stopped by, agreed that yes, likely a culvert failure, and said that at least under current rules it's homeowner responsibility to replace, though I can see if his supervisor is willing to do it. Either way I need to talk to the supervisor, and it takes a state highway permit, and nothing can be done until Tuesday (MLK day).

So, likely looking at a multi $k repair ( a lot of excavation, putting in the new pipe, backfill, then probably do the final driveway repair in the spring - We're back into bad winter weather), and driving is kinda iffy (worker bee said we can probably hug the far edge of the driveway for now, but no idea if that hole under the driveway will keep extending further).

Joys...

Wow Mark, that truly bites. Puts my piddly little problems in perspective.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Getting ready to watch the Falcons/Eagles game. And though it's extremely hard to root for the Falcons, (for me at least)
Hoping that they win and the Saints win tomorrow, which will put the NFC championship game in the Superdome!!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
It doesn't look like much (on the right edge of the driveway), but extends two feet to the left from what is visible. Multiple feet deep. Over a cubic yard.

At least it was visible due to the fresh snowfall, and I was snowblowing rather than driving to work before daylight [emoji5]
4502151d1f3ee5d67eb48a2304972b9e.jpg

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Whee - fun times (not).

Joys...
Very not good. Sorry to hear it, Mark.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
It doesn't look like much (on the right edge of the driveway), but extends two feet to the left from what is visible. Multiple feet deep. Over a cubic yard.

At least it was visible due to the fresh snowfall, and I was snowblowing rather than driving to work before daylight [emoji5]
4502151d1f3ee5d67eb48a2304972b9e.jpg
WOW Mark!! I'm so sorry to read this. I hope that it's not as bad as you think it is.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong.

It's a case of getting it fixed fairly quickly. The holiday and needing a state permit stretch things out.

If I can get the state DOT or town highway department to cover it, great. Otherwise it'll be time to spend a bit [emoji5]

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Where did everybody go?? This used to be a jumping thread and now no posts since Tuesday?

Snowed in here. 11 inches of snow in my yard and on my driveway. Work was cancelled last night and may be cancelled for me tonight as well. Temps are in the teens right now going up to the 30's later on today. Doesn't bode too well for someone who works evening shifts and comes home at 11pm.

Hope everyone has a great day! :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
You're right, where is everyone?

We've got the annual meeting at work this weekend. I actually enjoy these a lot, but they're tiring. From now til Monday the days will be long lasting on into the night. Saturday night is a big dinner as is Sunday night. Then Mon & Tues I'm off so I can recover (an introvert on an extroverted weekend = exhausted).

'terms of weather, we've got pushing 2 feet of fluffy snow but by the time I have days off next week we will have warmed into the 30s. So that fluffy snow will become sloppy snow covered in ice. Skating vs skiing.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Where did everybody go?? This used to be a jumping thread and now no posts since Tuesday?
I've wondered the same thing.There for a few days,i thought maybe my notification thing wasn't working,so i would come here and it was like a ghost town,no new posts in sight haha.I remember a while back,i'd get home from work and there would be like 5 pages worth of posts to catch up on,now theres like 1-2 posts every few days.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

Snowed in here. 11 inches of snow in my yard and on my driveway. Work was cancelled last night and may be cancelled for me tonight as well. Temps are in the teens right now going up to the 30's later on today. Doesn't bode too well for someone who works evening shifts and comes home at 11pm.

Hope everyone has a great day! :)

I've wondered the same thing.There for a few days,i thought maybe my notification thing wasn't working,so i would come here and it was like a ghost town,no new posts in sight haha.I remember a while back,i'd get home from work and there would be like 5 pages worth of posts to catch up on,now theres like 1-2 posts every few days.
I've been wondering the same thing. And like you said I used to have 10-15 messages daily and for the last few weeks a few every few days. As a result I have joined another thread as well that is as active as this one has been in the past but I'm not leaving here.

Is this the natural turn of threads? Mdmbers move on to other threads after a while? Or their lives go in different directions?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
I've been hunkered down with the driveway problem, doing work from home. I'm up at state DOT level now, hoping the area supervisor returns my call tomorrow and is in a benevolent mood. Current ny paperwork shovels culvert replacement onto the home owner, though the culvert is on the state's right of way land (my official property line is at the top of a small hill, not down in the ditch where the culvert is). Town and county level do the replacements free, for roads in their jurisdictions. Supervisor is supposed to have discretion, it's a case of playing nice and hoping they want to help.

(This is a non trivial repair, a lot of earth to move.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread