Kayfun 5 with MTL kit -VS.- Kayfun mini v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
Hello people

I thought id make this thread specifically for talk about the kayfun and the MTL kit

My first problem with it right out of the package.. how is the consumer expected to differentiate the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6mm reducers? mine came with no identification.

So, I recently got the kayfun 5 with MTL kit, i love my mini v3 and i thought it would be similar.. i threw my go-to build for the mini v3 into the new kayfun 5, used the biggest looking size of MTL kit. (1.6, but cant say for sure. They all look pretty similar)

It vaped pretty good, not quite as good as the mini v3, but good. Another thing i noticed however is that the cotton got a burnt taste much quicker than the mini.

I was getting 3-4ml of good vape before it turned musky in the kayfun 5, with mtl kit in & on 3 dot airflow
I can get upwards of 8-10 mtl before i feel like changing on a perfect wicking in the mini v3.

This has been dissapointing, i tried other builds because i figured it was just a different tank overall, but still no luck. I might try it without the MTL kit (i got them at the same time, have only used with kit) and see if i still get burnt taste quickly.
FYI, i only use single coil 28-29 gauge builds. Nothing fancy, just micro coils. I tried same diameter as my mini v3 build, didnt go well. Put a bigger diameter coil and it worked even worse.

Its not about the airflow, with the mtl kit its fine.. i was noticing significant decline in performance before i even vaped 1 full tank of the 5. I realize thats about 2 tanks in the mini v3, but its very rare i rewick the mini v3 before at least 3 tanks(on my usual ADV) so this has been bugging me.

If theres any of you out there who use the MTL kit on the kayfun 5, let me know your builds and how you wick it. Theres nothing on the internet yet that i can find.

Reactions: rhelton

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Juice feed is apparently designed around the air flow characteristics of a tank. If it's DTL you need more juice at a lower vacuum. For MTL, there's lots of vacuum, so juice gets sucked into the wick faster.

I've turned the airflow down on a couple of tanks that are meant to be DTL and got flooding. I can usually find a good compromise in the air flow ring on most tanks.

I've been meaning to order a K5 clone before it's too late (FDA). I just haven't gotten around to it.

Reactions: subwayaznm

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
Juice feed is apparently designed around the air flow characteristics of a tank. If it's DTL you need more juice at a lower vacuum. For MTL, there's lots of vacuum, so juice gets sucked into the wick faster.

I've turned the airflow down on a couple of tanks that are meant to be DTL and got flooding. I can usually find a good compromise in the air flow ring on most tanks.

I've been meaning to order a K5 clone before it's too late (FDA). I just haven't gotten around to it.

You are right, the same goes for a MTL tank, if you suck the hell out of it you will get flooding. by dtl, i assume you mean Direct Lung

Im asking if people have experience with the MTL kit, maybe im using the wrong airflow setting, but they should not release a part and market it for use with the kayfun 5 if it will not perform optimally with that device.

Jim-

GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Los Angeles County, Ca. USA
I have been using a MTL kit on all 3 of my K5's. I did not spend too much time considering the size differences because I put the 1.2 bore in and the rest went into storage without a second glance. I like a very tight draw. In fact, I still prefer the KFL+ or MV3 draw over the K5..MTL kit or no. My build however; unlike yours it seems, transferred over from my other Kayfuns to the K5 just fine and has given me an excellent vape (air flow issues aside). Might have to tinker with it for a bit to find your sweet spot. Perhaps marking the kit plugs and then trying each one might give you some insight on where that sweet spot is hiding. :)

Reactions: King_Louie

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
Ive been finding the exact same thing as you King Louis- I like a very restricted airflow- I try to get all my atties similar to the original non adjustable KFL, the KFM3 is amazing, but I've been sorely disappointed by the KF5- I've tried all 3 chokes (prefer the smallest diameter) and it always feels on the verge of a dry hit- have tried all sorts of coils- tend to mainly vape twisted kanthal at around 1.2 ohms. Got a bit fed up with it in the end and it's now one of my temp control only atties since it's harder to get a dry hit with a DNA200 and SS!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You are right, the same goes for a MTL tank, if you suck the hell out of it you will get flooding. by dtl, i assume you mean Direct Lung

Im asking if people have experience with the MTL kit, maybe im using the wrong airflow setting, but they should not release a part and market it for use with the kayfun 5 if it will not perform optimally with that device.

Another factor is the PG/VG ratio. I vape 80pg/20vg juices most of the time, so they are thinner than the high VG juices people tend to use with DTL tanks for cloud creation.

Tighter airflow seems normal to me just because I smoked filter cigarettes way back when I smoked. As I said, I haven't tried the Kayfun 5 and can't really comment on that tank. I do have half a dozen Kayfun 3.1's and Kayfun Lite Plus V2's. Those are my go to tanks and I vape them in MTL style.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
Another factor is the PG/VG ratio. I vape 80pg/20vg juices most of the time, so they are thinner than the high VG juices people tend to use with DTL tanks for cloud creation.

Tighter airflow seems normal to me just because I smoked filter cigarettes way back when I smoked. As I said, I haven't tried the Kayfun 5 and can't really comment on that tank. I do have half a dozen Kayfun 3.1's and Kayfun Lite Plus V2's. Those are my go to tanks and I vape them in MTL style.

No offense but the kayfun 5 is a completely different beast here. Im really only trying to compare it to the kayfun mini 3. The older tanks are all mtl style, but this new 5 is the first to offer Direct Lung inhale. I hope to make it a satisfying MTL, however. If i cannot, i will go back to mini v3, but i like the building deck on the 5 more

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
Update- i took out the mtl pin and it works so much better on the 1st airflow option. I just wish it was a tiny bit tighter, but the mtl kit was just not working properly for me. Heres my build
coil.jpg

Reactions: subwayaznm

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Hello people

I thought id make this thread specifically for talk about the kayfun and the MTL kit

My first problem with it right out of the package.. how is the consumer expected to differentiate the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6mm reducers? mine came with no identification.

So, I recently got the kayfun 5 with MTL kit, i love my mini v3 and i thought it would be similar.. i threw my go-to build for the mini v3 into the new kayfun 5, used the biggest looking size of MTL kit. (1.6, but cant say for sure. They all look pretty similar)

It vaped pretty good, not quite as good as the mini v3, but good. Another thing i noticed however is that the cotton got a burnt taste much quicker than the mini.

I was getting 3-4ml of good vape before it turned musky in the kayfun 5, with mtl kit in & on 3 dot airflow
I can get upwards of 8-10 mtl before i feel like changing on a perfect wicking in the mini v3.

This has been dissapointing, i tried other builds because i figured it was just a different tank overall, but still no luck. I might try it without the MTL kit (i got them at the same time, have only used with kit) and see if i still get burnt taste quickly.
FYI, i only use single coil 28-29 gauge builds. Nothing fancy, just micro coils. I tried same diameter as my mini v3 build, didnt go well. Put a bigger diameter coil and it worked even worse.

Its not about the airflow, with the mtl kit its fine.. i was noticing significant decline in performance before i even vaped 1 full tank of the 5. I realize thats about 2 tanks in the mini v3, but its very rare i rewick the mini v3 before at least 3 tanks(on my usual ADV) so this has been bugging me.

If theres any of you out there who use the MTL kit on the kayfun 5, let me know your builds and how you wick it. Theres nothing on the internet yet that i can find.
I noticed that I needed to thin my tails on my wick with the V5 much more so than the V3. The V3 should not flow liquid any better than the V5 but for some reason it did for me. I am using a 2.5mm coil in the the V5 with a very snug wick in the coil. I then take half of the tail and thin it by removing half of the thickness to where its fluffy near the coil and thin down in the deck. Also making sure that the tails touch the bottom of the deck. On one wick I had cut the tails just shy of touching the bottom thinking that the liquid would fill the deck area easier that way. It did the opposite and I had really bad dry wick problems every two or three pulls.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
I have both authentic kayfun mini v3 and kayfun 5 with MTL kit.

I much prefer the kayfun 5 with MTL kit with the smallest airflow reducer for one reason -- Microgurgling

Since I like a tight draw, when using the kayfun mini v3 I get micro gurgles, which really annoys the crap out of me. Considering with the K5 MTL kit, i can never make it as tight as a kayfun mini v3, the airflow with the smallest insert is perfect for me. And because airlfow is not restricted with the center pin, I have zero gurgling with the K5.

Flavor is subjective but I thing both k3 mini and k5 have great flavour.

The feel of the k5 airflow also feels alot more quality as well, its just smooth. K3 mini is kind of rough with the AFC screw.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
I have been using a MTL kit on all 3 of my K5's. I did not spend too much time considering the size differences because I put the 1.2 bore in and the rest went into storage without a second glance. I like a very tight draw. In fact, I still prefer the KFL+ or MV3 draw over the K5..MTL kit or no. My build however; unlike yours it seems, transferred over from my other Kayfuns to the K5 just fine and has given me an excellent vape (air flow issues aside). Might have to tinker with it for a bit to find your sweet spot. Perhaps marking the kit plugs and then trying each one might give you some insight on where that sweet spot is hiding. :)

I have both authentic kayfun mini v3 and kayfun 5 with MTL kit.

I much prefer the kayfun 5 with MTL kit with the smallest airflow reducer for one reason -- Microgurgling

Since I like a tight draw, when using the kayfun mini v3 I get micro gurgles, which really annoys the crap out of me. Considering with the K5 MTL kit, i can never make it as tight as a kayfun mini v3, the airflow with the smallest insert is perfect for me. And because airlfow is not restricted with the center pin, I have zero gurgling with the K5.

Flavor is subjective but I thing both k3 mini and k5 have great flavour.

The feel of the k5 airflow also feels alot more quality as well, its just smooth. K3 mini is kind of rough with the AFC screw.

Which airflow setting on the kayfun 5 itself are you using with the MTL kit in? im curious because i was using the 2 pip airflow with the biggest MTL kit in, im going to experiment some more. Id like to hear whats been working for you guys

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
Subscribed. I have both and the MTL kit, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting for my next coil build, but I've been feeling lazy lately.

Let us know how it goes. So far, ive had a great vape with no MTL kit in on the lowest airflow setting

With the MTL kit in however, ive yet to have a satisfying vape (i tried all airflow configurations) however i only tried 1/3 of the mtl pips, maybe ill have better luck with the other two.

Reactions: BuGlen

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Let us know how it goes. So far, ive had a great vape with no MTL kit in on the lowest airflow setting

With the MTL kit in however, ive yet to have a satisfying vape (i tried all airflow configurations) however i only tried 1/3 of the mtl pips, maybe ill have better luck with the other two.

I run the same way right now without the MTL kit on the lowest setting. The flavor is outstanding, but the draw is just a tad too loose for my MTL style. I have a second K5 that hasn't been setup yet, so I'll throw my standard build with the middle-sized MTL in that one this weekend and report back.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
So after inspecting the MTL inserts under my magnifying glass, I decided to go with the largest opening (1.6 mm) instead of the middle sized option. Installing the insert was really easy and I got it most of the way in with my fingers and used a square tip on my screwdriver that was big enough to cover the flat part of the lip to tap it lightly into it's final position. Standard Kanthal build with the wick tails just a little longer to compensate for the adjusted coil height (higher due to the lip), then primed the wick and filled the tank.

I started with the tightest airflow setting at first and the flavor was still excellent with a slight improvement in the vapor production (I think because of the focused air on the small coil), but the draw was a tighter than the mini. I then opened the airflow to the widest setting and it got closer to the mini, just a bit more restrictive, but still very nice. BTW: I run the mini with the airflow wide open because I like a fairly loose MTL draw.

Overall, I'd have to say that so far (for the last hour) it's made a very positive improvement on the draw for the K5. The flavor is still outstanding (no difference that I can tell) and the vapor production is quite nice. I might have liked it better if they offered other size options such as 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 mm (2.2 being the same size as the mini), but it's a definite improvement over the most restricted airflow without the kit.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
No offense but the kayfun 5 is a completely different beast here. Im really only trying to compare it to the kayfun mini 3. The older tanks are all mtl style, but this new 5 is the first to offer Direct Lung inhale. I hope to make it a satisfying MTL, however. If i cannot, i will go back to mini v3, but i like the building deck on the 5 more

No offense taken. I've been meaning to order a KF5 to add to my collection, but decided to wait for the design to settle out. I like adjustable airflow and that's one of the few shortcomings of the KF style RTA. People have been drilling out airflow intake holes and air tubes forever on the KF2 and KF3.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
No offense taken. I've been meaning to order a KF5 to add to my collection, but decided to wait for the design to settle out. I like adjustable airflow and that's one of the few shortcomings of the KF style RTA. People have been drilling out airflow intake holes and air tubes forever on the KF2 and KF3.

I very much agree with you on the point that adjustable airflow is great, it makes it so that it appeals to more people (always a good thing)

But at the same time, i just feel like kayfuns have always appealed to a specific crowd, MTL'ers. I kind of enjoyed never having to worry about airflow, all my kayfuns i just build them and forget it, and enjoy the great vape. I cannot lie, i feel like i experience more leaking on the kayfun 5 than the others because of the exterior adjustable airflow on the 5.

I have good experience with every single kayfun model, excluding the 4 and the original mini, those two i never tried. Sure they might need slight drilling to fit the individual user, and sure itd be great to have some sort of slightly adj. airflow, but imo those models surpassed the 5 even though it is all the newest innovations.

To be honest, the only things that appeal to the kayfun 5 to me over any other kayfun is the: new deck, stupid easy to build
larger tank capacity than the mini v3
(topfill option if comparing to kayfun other than the mini v3)
After hearing pbusardos review, the adj airflow didnt appeal to me, as i would only use #1

I have given up on the 5 and im vaping the mini v3 as we speak. Im not so impatient that im going to sell it, even though i did spend a good bit of money not to use it. I hope i can find a build or something that will make me enjoy it more, but i can say as a dedicated kayfun fan that i feel kind of let down by it.

If you love your KFL/KFL+/ even 3.1, i would venture to say that you would enjoy the mini v3 far more than the v5. That is my personal opinion, but if we enjoy the same type of atomizers, i think you would have the same experience.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I very much agree with you on the point that adjustable airflow is great, it makes it so that it appeals to more people (always a good thing)

But at the same time, i just feel like kayfuns have always appealed to a specific crowd, MTL'ers. I kind of enjoyed never having to worry about airflow, all my kayfuns i just build them and forget it, and enjoy the great vape. I cannot lie, i feel like i experience more leaking on the kayfun 5 than the others because of the exterior adjustable airflow on the 5.

I have good experience with every single kayfun model, excluding the 4 and the original mini, those two i never tried. Sure they might need slight drilling to fit the individual user, and sure itd be great to have some sort of slightly adj. airflow, but imo those models surpassed the 5 even though it is all the newest innovations.

To be honest, the only things that appeal to the kayfun 5 to me over any other kayfun is the: new deck, stupid easy to build
larger tank capacity than the mini v3
(topfill option if comparing to kayfun other than the mini v3)
After hearing pbusardos review, the adj airflow didnt appeal to me, as i would only use #1

I have given up on the 5 and im vaping the mini v3 as we speak. Im not so impatient that im going to sell it, even though i did spend a good bit of money not to use it. I hope i can find a build or something that will make me enjoy it more, but i can say as a dedicated kayfun fan that i feel kind of let down by it.

If you love your KFL/KFL+/ even 3.1, i would venture to say that you would enjoy the mini v3 far more than the v5. That is my personal opinion, but if we enjoy the same type of atomizers, i think you would have the same experience.

I agree with what you're saying, even though I never tried any RTA other than the K5 and the mini v3, so I can't compare to the older Kayfun versions. Brand loyalty is a comfort zone and consumers come to expect certain aspects to remain constant, especially when those aspects are signature to the brand. For me, both the K5 and the mini v3 provide a great vape experience, although different from one another, and they're both complete different from the carto-tanks and Nautilus setups I was using recently.

I'm on the fence about the MTL kit. It does make the K5 draw much closer to the mini v3 and improves some aspects. On the other hand, it takes away from the original design of the K5 which (to me) brings out different notes in my liquids compared to the mini v3. I really do love both of them for different reasons, and I may end up taking the MTL kit out of my second K5 and use it as designed. A very loose MTL hit without the kit, but still very distinct and enjoyable.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
I agree with what you're saying, even though I never tried any RTA other than the K5 and the mini v3, so I can't compare to the older Kayfun versions. Brand loyalty is a comfort zone and consumers come to expect certain aspects to remain constant, especially when those aspects are signature to the brand. For me, both the K5 and the mini v3 provide a great vape experience, although different from one another, and they're both complete different from the carto-tanks and Nautilus setups I was using recently.

I'm on the fence about the MTL kit. It does make the K5 draw much closer to the mini v3 and improves some aspects. On the other hand, it takes away from the original design of the K5 which (to me) brings out different notes in my liquids compared to the mini v3. I really do love both of them for different reasons, and I may end up taking the MTL kit out of my second K5 and use it as designed. A very loose MTL hit without the kit, but still very distinct and enjoyable.

I can say that i am not one of those people who is saying, 'screw you svoemesto!'

I think the 5 is great for what it is. Its more that so far it hasnt been to my personal satisfaction, and i know many people love it.
I agree with you, i think this tank is not truly designed for an mtl experience. For me, the mtl kit has just hindered optimal performance.

I hope to enjoy the 5, ill still keep attempting to get a build right (for me)
If you could share yours i might just try it

I guess the point is that alot of people compare the mini v3 and the 5, where like you said- they are two different vape experiences.

Reactions: BuGlen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread