kayfun base shorting out? not reading ohms, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
about 2 weeks ago I had a kayfun base just stop working after working just fine. every coil i built it wasnt reading the ohms. the insulator looks like it isnt damaged, it was an Ivogo clone and i just assumed it was a dud. figured i would just use the rest of it for parts if i ever needed. well now my tobeco clone did the same thing! it was working just fine, i gave it a bath to rebuild it. did my typical 1.7 ohm coil, put it on my vamo to double check the ohms and boom 9.9 ohms, why are my bases shorting out? its so frustrating. i need help! nothing looks damaged, no posts are touching or anything like that. im down to my last kayfun if i cant fix these. i have 0 trouble with them and then after a rinse in water they just wont work anymore. anyone got any ideas? i need help! thanks ecf

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Sorry I apologize for this correction but i use to be a tech. Shorts would read as 0 ohms. LOL. What you describe is an Open.
Fist what kind of kayfun? Is is a lite or 3.1? Have you checked it with an ohm meter? If it's a lite they don't have an adj center pin and that mixed with the Vamo which IME has a twitchy center pin are combining to basically not make contact.
Other possibilities is dirty contacts but probably not. You can try to coax the center pin of the Vamo up some with a tiny screwdriver or paperclip. But the ohm meter is what i would use to help diagnose this.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry I apologize for this correction but i use to be a tech. Shorts would read as 0 ohms. LOL. What you describe is an Open.
Fist what kind of Kayfun? Is is a lite or 3.1? Have you checked it with an ohm meter? If it's a lite they don't have an adj center pin and that mixed with the Vamo which IME has a twitchy center pin are combining to basically not make contact.
Other possibilities is dirty contacts but probably not. You can try to coax the center pin of the Vamo up some with a tiny screwdriver or paperclip. But the ohm meter is what i would use to help diagnose this.

when it reads 9.9 thats the vamos way of saying "no atty found" and it reads my other kayfun just fine at the moment. and they are all KFL's

and now just tried on my other vamo, my working kfl reads correctly and my non working one is still not reading ohms...so now we know it is the base. any other suggestions? or anyone know the cause or a solution?

Last edited:

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Check the center block to see if it's touching the negative. Screw holding center block in could have broken if you tightened it too much, happened to me before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

the two blocks are not touching but where do i find that screw?

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Oh then I'm not sure. I have the 3.1, sounds like you have a kayfun lite plus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

well yeah its a plus because it has afc, but technically i guess its a r91 because the airflow is on the side.

no one has had this happen or heard of it happening? ive tried google and cant find anything, its gotta be my fault but i dont know what im doing wrong. maybe i am building them too fast after washing? i rinse with warm water, dry the best i can and then build usually immediately. if their is still some water some where could this cause the kayfun to permanently stop working? this is my usual way of doing it and ive done it lots of times with no issues but then again i have 2 broken kayfuns in front of me :( could this be the cause?

Buster282

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
FL USA
sounds like you need to take the base completely apart. clean everything (no water). blow out all openings with air. inspect every thing. replace any damaged parts. reassemble. check with an ohm meter. is it OK? then build and install a coil. check again with an ohm meter. should help to narrow it down as to whats wrong. they do have repair kits for them - screws, o rings and insulator pads, center pin is available also. good luck :2cool:

Last edited:

Laylel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Victoria, BC, CA
sounds like you need to take the base completely apart. clean everything (no water). blow out all openings with air. inspect every thing. replace any damaged parts. reassemble. check with an ohm meter. is it OK? then build and install a coil. check again with an ohm meter. should help to narrow it down as to whats wrong. they do have repair kits for them - screws, o rings and insulator pads, center pin is available also. good luck :2cool:
Sorry to break in, where can i find those. My KFL got bathed in oil, i did clean it like forever, and it got better when i did replace o-rings, but still has some after taste, i think insulator just suck it in, will like to replace it.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
when it reads 9.9 thats the vamos way of saying "no atty found" and it reads my other kayfun just fine at the moment. and they are all KFL's

and now just tried on my other vamo, my working kfl reads correctly and my non working one is still not reading ohms...so now we know it is the base. any other suggestions? or anyone know the cause or a solution?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. "No atty found" would indicate an open circuit, not a short. It sounds like the center pin is not making a connection to the mod. Take a meter and check resistance between the center pin and the outer part. If it shows normal, then it's definitely the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread