Status
Not open for further replies.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I'm helping a couple people with their kfls. The first is a guy.. I'm showing him how to take it apart and recoil/rewick it. I'm putting it back together and filling it from the top and juice is leaking out the drip tip :confused: Never had this happen. So I turn it upside down and blow out the chamber and it just keeps dripping from the air hole. Take it apart and start over. Same thing over and over. After close inspection.. he had cross threaded the plastic section on one of the metal sections. I was able to snap it back together and then assemble it properly. The leaking issue was solved.

My second friend is a woman who complains of both flooding and dry hits. When we met up, I took it apart and the wicks were standing straight up! Like they were reaching for me to pick them up LOL. Her problem? She sucks way too hard! She managed to suck the wicks straight up into the chamber/chimney! She was sucking so hard that too much negative pressure was pulling too much juice up into the chamber..more than the coil could handle and quickly flooding it. It doesn't help that she's using my EH Pro clone that has a tight draw anyway. I'm going to let her use my kfl+ with the afc all the way open and see if that helps but if she doesn't change her draw (stop acting like she's sucking a golf ball through a rubber hose) then she may not be able to use the kayfun.

She tried a protank type device and said that it would drip out the bottom. I couldn't figure it out at the time but now I know it was from her sucking too hard and flooding it. She bought my RSST and it works great for her (wicked with cotton) she can suck hard on the RSST all day and it won't hurt it.

Here's a list of problems and possible solutions that I found somewhere... supposed to come from the svoemesto site. I know it's long but it may be of some help to ones having problems. The full instruction manual that this came from can be downloaded HERE

The problem: Kayfun Lite sloshing, flooding, liquid flows out through the duct hole.
First you need to check if the tank is airtight.
If the tank is not sealed, e-liquid will pour out of it into evaporation chamber by the
principle of communicating vessels, and then it will flow through the air duct.
Check if evaporation chamber (3) is firmly screwed to the base; all o-rings are in place and
intact: (1с), (3с), (4b), and especially - (4c).
O-ring (4c) is the easiest one to lose during disassembly/assembly.
Also make sure that the transparent window (3b) is not cracked in case you use it.
Also make sure that the screw (1l) in place and tightly screwed.
If you have verified that the seal is not broken, but the problem still persists - let's try to
find and eliminate the cause.
There may be several more reasons for leaks:
The reason: Wick is too long and/or coil lies too low over the air duct.
What happens: If the wick is too long and it takes all the available space in the
evaporation chamber, then, when swollen with e-liquid, it leans to the posts (1d) and (1e)
at the level of the air duct or even higher.
Liquid begins to flow from the wick to the poles and then into the duct.
In this case the duct becomes kind of extension of the wick.
The same happens when coil lies too low over the air duct - swollen with liquid wick can
stick out between the coils and touch the poles.
What to do: shorten the wick, position it correctly on the sides of the poles, lift coil higher
over the air duct.
The reason: With each draw, evaporation chamber receives more e-liquid than can be
evaporated; as a result e-liquid floods the evaporation chamber and flows through the duct
out.

There may be several reasons for this:
Reason number 1: insufficient heating temperature, or rather lack of power (voltage) to
the coil, when coil can’t heat up to required temperature
What to do: Increase the power (voltage) on the battery mod or build a coil with less
resistance.
Probably batteries are depleted - charge/replace battery if it is the case.
Reason number 2: Too strong/long draw
Try to inhale slowly and smoothly.
You need to get used to the lighter draw, especially if you are used to hard draws of
conventional cartomizers and tanks.
Find comfortable for your strength and duration of the draw that would at the same time
allow all e-liquid entering the evaporation chamber to evaporate during the draw and
Kayfun Lite would not overflow/slosh.
You will quickly get used to this type of draw and will get the most from your Kayfun Lite.
Minor leaks may also happen if the tank is filled completely, or it is filled more than halfway
while Kayfun Lite is lying horizontally or with mouthpiece tilted down for some time.
In this case, one of the grooves (1h) could be at the top "in the air" and another one at the
bottom dipped into e-liquid.
In this case the air will escape from evaporation chamber through the top groove and eliquid
will flow from the tank to the evaporation chamber through the bottom groove.
Naturally this process stops as soon as both grooves are covered with e-liquid.
Make sure that both grooves are always covered with e-liquid, keep Kayfun Lite horizontally
in such a way that the mouthpiece is always slightly higher than the evaporation chamber.
Even better, keep it in the vertical (or near vertical) position if your battery mod allows it.
Leaks may also happen when ambient temperature and/or pressure changes abruptly, for
example when you walk into a heated room from the cold or in an airplane during
takeoff/landing.
It may even happen during rapid ascent/descent in express elevator.
Solid (metal) parts of the device are expanding/shrinking with temperature/pressure
change, changing the volume of the tank and causing e-liquid to flow into the evaporation
chamber.
Pressure drop causes the process similar to what happens when you draw, just without
heating the coil.
To avoid leakage in such cases we recommend you to keep/transfer Kayfun Lite upside
down i.e. mouthpiece down.
In this case, grooves (1h) will be at the top in the «air bubble» and when the temperature
or pressure changes, air will flow between evaporation chamber and tank instead of eliquid.
The problem: Burnt taste. This problem is opposite to the leakage. Dry wick is the most
common cause of burnt taste.

The reason: Too high heating temperature, to be exact - excessive power (voltage) is
applied to the coil. This heats up the coil above desired temperature.
What to do: reduce the power (voltage) on the battery mod or install higher resistance
coil.
The reason: No liquid left in the tank.
What to do: Refill the tank
The reason: Tails of the wick are packed too tightly in the evaporation chamber.
What happens: Too tightly packed wick may block grooves (1h) and obstruct e-liquid flow
from the tank to evaporator chamber.
What to do: Place wick properly.
It must lie free over the grooves (1h) but should not be pressed against or stuck into them.
The reason: The grooves (1h) are blocked
What happens: Pieces of wick are stuck in grooves (1h)
What to do: Remove pieces of wick from grooves (1h)
The reason: Holding Kayfun Lite upside down (mouthpiece part down) all the time, for
example when lying down.
What happens: In this position liquid does not cover grooves (1h). As a result, liquid
doesn’t flow into evaporation chamber and does not saturate wick during the draw.
What to do: Do not use Kayfun Lite in this position
The reason: Too long piece of the resistance wire is left between the screws and the wick.
What happens: The pieces of resistance wire that don’t contacts the wick get easily
overheated
What to do: Adjust the coil position to eliminate long resistance wire legs not contacting
the wick.
The reason: Resistance wire is wrapped too loose around the wick
What happens: Coils that don’t contact the wick get easily overheated
What to do: Rebuild coil correctly: resistance wire should have contact with the wick along
the length of the coil
The reason: Resistance wire is wrapped too tight around the wick
What happens: Resistance wire pinches the wick and obstructs the flow of e-liquid along
it, this can be the reason of burnt taste
What to do: Rebuild coil correctly: resistance wire should not pinch the wick
The problem: Burnt taste and flooding at the same time
The reason: Yes, this can also happen if during assembly you don’t place tails of the wick
along the grooves but leave them lifted.
This is usually done out of habit - wick tails are placed this way in some popular
cartomizers.
What happens: In this case, when you draw, liquid flows into evaporation chamber, does
not find wick tails to suck into (they are raised up), eventually rises over the air duct level
and overflows.

Meanwhile coil remains dry causing burnt taste.
What to do: Install wick correctly
The problem: The draw is too tight
The reason: Very large coil and/or wick
What happens: Air flow in evaporation chamber gets obstructed
What to do: Setup the coil and wick correctly
The reason: The blockage of the air duct (1g)
What happens: Something obstructs the airflow through the duct
What to do: Remove the obstruction
WARNING: Some flavorings that make up liquids for electronic cigarettes have a
devastating impact on the polycarbonate material transparent body part is made of.
If you use such a liquid, please use metal body part instead of polycarbonate body part in
order to avoid breakage.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
This post here.. by Turbocad6.. helped me finally figure out what I was doing wrong and set me on the course to success!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/436118-kayfun-lite-263.html#post10702984

guys, those channels puff up with juice when you draw, kind of like the squonking of a reo, if there is no wick right there to suck up this swelling up of juice by the little outlets then the juice will just be sucked back into the tank when you stop your draw and you will get NO feed, if wick is there, and juice is sucked up, then when you stop drawing it can't suck the same juice back in so it sucks air back in, if you're not getting a rising air bubble on just about every draw then you are not wicked properly, don't keep the wick away from the hole, keep it right there to suck up any swell up of juice from it. if you put way too much, THAN you could seal off these orifices well enough that the tank won't even see the suction, so don't over stuff it, but def wick right at the feed holes. after getting my full sized kayfun I now realize how much more room you have, the mini is easy t use too much wick and seal up the tank but the full sized kayfun and the light have huge wells, don't be afraid to get some wick right in there, it's the only way it'll feed,otherwise the same juice just goes in and out, in and out, and never feeds the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread