Kayfun Lite Plus problems - flooding, little vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
I got the kayfun a week ago. Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then it flooded. I tore it down, cleaned and rebuilt everything. Again, it worked fine for a while then started gurgling, leaking out the airhole, and only delivering a tiny puff of vapor. I tore it down once again, cleaned it and assembled being sure all gaskets were properly seated. When I first fire it after it's been sitting a while, I hear a pop, then almost no vapor, then gurgling, flooding and I can taste juice through the drip tube. I'm using cotton ball wicks and a microcoil build, 28 gauge Kanthal, 9 wraps for 1.4 ohms, on a ProVari at 3.1 volts. juice is my own, 100% VG with 10% flavor and 5% distilled water.

Any thoughts? I sure as hell love the taste but my Ikenvape cartos and Ibtanks were way more reliable. I'd like to get away from using cartos though... would really like this to work.

mekc57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Oregon
Try a 5/32 or 2mm wrap. You might not be getting enough cotton though your coil to absorbs all the juice that is coming though the feed holes. I have my best luck with a 2mm screwdriver with 7 wraps for about 1.3 ohms. 5/32 was even to small for me.
I've been vaping a kayfun for about a year. I have tried a lot of different set ups. I actually have two KFLs and 3 R91%

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I got the Kayfun a week ago. Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then it flooded. I tore it down, cleaned and rebuilt everything. Again, it worked fine for a while then started gurgling, leaking out the airhole, and only delivering a tiny puff of vapor. I tore it down once again, cleaned it and assembled being sure all gaskets were properly seated. When I first fire it after it's been sitting a while, I hear a pop, then almost no vapor, then gurgling, flooding and I can taste juice through the drip tube. I'm using cotton ball wicks and a microcoil build, 28 gauge Kanthal, 9 wraps for 1.4 ohms, on a ProVari at 3.1 volts. Juice is my own, 100% VG with 10% flavor and 5% distilled water.

Any thoughts? I sure as hell love the taste but my Ikenvape cartos and Ibtanks were way more reliable. I'd like to get away from using cartos though... would really like this to work.

did you happen to refill just prior to the flooding? If so, how do you fill? The kayfun works on negative pressure. I've found that top filling gives me nothing but trouble.....flooding a lot. Even bottom filling, you need to blow out the excess. If you have removed the air adjustment screw like most do, you will want to remove the atty from your mod when you blow it out....juice will come out of the bottom hole also

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
Give this build a try.
Good for newer Kayfun builders

My Blog

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks! I'll give this a go. I did everything as you say except for measuring the cotton better.

did you happen to refill just prior to the flooding? If so, how do you fill? The kayfun works on negative pressure. I've found that top filling gives me nothing but trouble.....flooding a lot. Even bottom filling, you need to blow out the excess. If you have removed the air adjustment screw like most do, you will want to remove the atty from your mod when you blow it out....juice will come out of the bottom hole also

Yup, and that's exactly what happened with bottom filling. I also got liquid dripping out the dip tube when filling from the bottom screw. Is that normal?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Thanks! I'll give this a go. I did everything as you say except for measuring the cotton better.

Yup, and that's exactly what happened with bottom filling. I also got liquid dripping out the dip tube when filling from the bottom screw. Is that normal?

yes, that's normal.....i fill till I get one or two drips.....that's how I know its full :p. You have to blow it out after, until no more juice comes out the air hole. Afterwards you should be good.

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
yes, that's normal.....i fill till I get one or two drips.....that's how I know its full :p. You have to blow it out after, until no more juice comes out the air hole. Afterwards you should be good.

I guess I'm not having too many problems then! I'm getting liquid dripping out before it's full, but probably because I use a syringe to fill, maybe it's too much pressure. I'll try filling by just dripping into the fill hole.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I got the Kayfun a week ago. Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then it flooded. I tore it down, cleaned and rebuilt everything. Again, it worked fine for a while then started gurgling, leaking out the airhole, and only delivering a tiny puff of vapor. I tore it down once again, cleaned it and assembled being sure all gaskets were properly seated. When I first fire it after it's been sitting a while, I hear a pop, then almost no vapor, then gurgling, flooding and I can taste juice through the drip tube. I'm using cotton ball wicks and a microcoil build, 28 gauge Kanthal, 9 wraps for 1.4 ohms, on a ProVari at 3.1 volts. Juice is my own, 100% VG with 10% flavor and 5% distilled water.

I wonder if opening the airflow a little more might help this... it sounds like too much juice is coming into the chamber, like it needs more air. I was also thinking that maybe you were overfilling, except you said it doesn't happen when you first fill, but sometime later, which means the flood is coming in at some point long after the filling -- like the suction of drawing on it over a period of time is forcing too much into the chamber and it won't vaporize all of it. Turning up the power on your mod might help it a little too; when i first put a new wick in my KFL+, I keep the power low for the first few hits, to make sure the wick gets saturated before I put serious heat on it, and if I'm getting the gurgling sometimes just turning it up a bit helps a lot.

I get that popping thing too, after it's been sitting for a while -- first thing in the morning it's wicked, I have to point it away from me when I hit the button the first time. I think that's fairly normal. I had it really bad earlier in the week, and the only thing that fixed it was to re-wick and hope for a better outcome; it turned out much better after I re-wicked it.

Andria

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia
To prevent it from leaking, what I did is

When there are still some juice in the kayfun, I use scotch magic tape to stick on the AFC screw & air hole then only fill the tank. After screwing back the fill hole only I remove the tape. It work most of the time.

Now I'm trying to fill it from the top (testing stage) by finishing vaping all the juice and vape few more puff. I using a nano clear tank so I can see the balance juice. After filling the juice from the top, I screw the top cover a little then quickly turn it upside down then only screw it tightly close.

Hope this work for you guys.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
I don't understand why it would drip out the top when you fill it from the bottom. The only reason it would do that is if the small o-ring on the top section that the chimney slides into is messed up, otherwise it should be completely sealed up there. I always fill from the bottom and have yet to see as much as a single drop come out. I always hold it at about a 45 degree angle and make sure I can see an air bubble on top of the juice so I know I haven't overfilled it, then put the fill screw back in.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the EHPro Kayfun 3.1. As others said, filling through the top breaks the vacuum and you sometimes have to invert after reinstalling the top cap and blow through the drip tip while holding a tissue over the bottom air hole. Any juice in the air ducts will be blown into the tissue.

If I fill through the bottom screw, initial flooding doesn't happen. It's how I fill most of the time.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I don't understand why it would drip out the top when you fill it from the bottom. The only reason it would do that is if the small o-ring on the top section that the chimney slides into is messed up, otherwise it should be completely sealed up there. I always fill from the bottom and have yet to see as much as a single drop come out. I always hold it at about a 45 degree angle and make sure I can see an air bubble on top of the juice so I know I haven't overfilled it, then put the fill screw back in.

That's true about the top o-ring; it should seal the liquid chamber completely. However there is one other way (other than a faulty o-ring) that there could be some dripping while it's upside down to fill -- if you get carried away priming the wick before you close it all back up. I want to make sure that my wicks are completely saturated, and I do sometimes get a bit carried away, so in that case there is more than sufficient liquid in the atomizer chamber, and it drips out when you turn it upside down to fill -- or, when you hold it upside down to blow out the flood -- be careful you don't get a mouthful of juice if that atomizer chamber is really flooded! I've gotten it on my lips quite a few times, in that case, but fortunately realized it before it got into my mouth.

Andria

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I don't understand why it would drip out the top when you fill it from the bottom. The only reason it would do that is if the small o-ring on the top section that the chimney slides into is messed up, otherwise it should be completely sealed up there.

What he said.

I always fill from the bottom and never had a leak or flooding. Check the o-ring in the top cap; you should feel some slight resistance when the chimney tip enters into the top cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread