Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
2014-04-18 18.06.17.jpg

Regulations are getting out of hand, as I’m sure more than a few of you have noticed at least two or three times in the last forty-five seconds or so. And I’m not just talking about E-cig regulations, but the entire regulatory environment of contemporary governments the world over. Somewhere along the way, someone must have looked at the world and said, “You know what this complex world of infinite possibilities and combinations of possibilities needs? A bunch of organizations composed of unelected officials with completely unchecked, limitless power to over-complicate this already overly-complex planet at an exponentially-increasing rate until the whole of humanity grinds to a screeching halt resulting from an inability to move an inch without violating multiple ordinances, directives, mandates, and caveats, thereby coming in direct conflict with a regulatory issue based on previous rulings by said regulatory issue’s governing agency.” In fact, I’m almost certain that is EXACTLY how the original statement was worded, to ensure compliance with preexisting vernacular regulations, of course.

Now, this is an electronic cigarette-related blog post, so I’m going to focus my attention here on the many proposed (and some already existing) regulations pertaining to the electronic cigarette industry. However, I’m going to do that via metaphor, and the metaphor I’ve chosen to employ is that of the Motion Picture Production Code (better known as the Hays Code) which was used in Hollywood as a pan-studio nationally-accepted guideline for the production of movies between the mid 1930s and the late 1960s:

Those of you who are adequately versed in the classic products of Hollywood of Yesteryear will immediately call to mind a series of favorite films released during the aforementioned time frame that are, at least by today’s loose standards, wholesome to the point of being tame. No profanity, no nudity, no extreme acts of violence (outside of a few cheesy Thompson submachine gun-related deaths in a handful of Cagney flicks), no blatant sexual innuendo or entendre, etc. We’ve been conditioned to think that this period of time was some sort of failure in terms of the grand American spirit of “free speech.” What many won’t understand about the Hays Code is this: it was NOT a system of government-sponsored regulations. It was NOT the “law of the land” by any stretch of the imagination. It was actually a privately-operated organization. Without going into too much detail, the Hays Office came about as an answer to an outcry put forth by a majority of the population, and it did a very thorough job of placating that outcry... (Click here to read the rest of my article)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MalkinMania71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
PA
So this is sorta on this topic. Just read this article and I am new to vaping - E-cig industry awaits looming federal regulation

So should I go out and buy a bunch of the flavored juice I like before big government bans it or makes it more expensive than smoking cigarettes? vaping has allowed me to quit smoking after 20 years with little to no effort (nothing has even come close before). I am saving money and enjoying every aspect of it (saving money, feeling better, no cough, etc.). Now big government is going to come in and make the price of juice out of hand and regulate the crap out of it. Very frustrated right now. Since I am new to this, I was not sure how all of the possible new regulations will effect it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    So this is sorta on this topic. Just read this article and I am new to vaping - E-cig industry awaits looming federal regulation

So should I go out and buy a bunch of the flavored juice I like before big government bans it or makes it more expensive than smoking cigarettes? Vaping has allowed me to quit smoking after 20 years with little to no effort (nothing has even come close before). I am saving money and enjoying every aspect of it (saving money, feeling better, no cough, etc.). Now big government is going to come in and make the price of juice out of hand and regulate the crap out of it. Very frustrated right now. Since I am new to this, I was not sure how all of the possible new regulations will effect it.

I suspect that if the FDA bans flavors there will be a lot of folks wanting unflavored juice instead of tobacco or menthol flavored. That way they can flavor their own.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    @ejuiceconnoisseur:
    Excellent blog post! Thank you! :thumbs:

Somewhere along the way, someone must have looked at the world and said, “You know what this complex world of infinite possibilities and combinations of possibilities needs? A bunch of organizations composed of unelected officials with completely unchecked, limitless power to over-complicate this already overly-complex planet at an exponentially-increasing rate until the whole of humanity grinds to a screeching halt resulting from an inability to move an inch without violating multiple ordinances, directives, mandates, and caveats, thereby coming in direct conflict with a regulatory issue based on previous rulings by said regulatory issue’s governing agency.”

Yup. Very well put.

Two quotes come to mind:

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
    Ronald Reagan

The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

One thing, though:
    It is not "nicotine addiction" - it is "nicotine dependence". "Addiction" necessitates the substance use / activity does harm to the user.

realsis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2014
    California
    I'm new to vaping but I joined CASSA and I didn't only join I will write letters to authority when the call comes to do so. I URGE everyone here to get involved! It will only take a moment of your time to tweet or write a congressman. It's really quite simple. CASSA has outlined everything you need to say in giving your testament. It's much easier than I'd thought it would be but we ALL must get involved! In numbers we are strong! Apart we are weak. CASSA needs US ALL even newbies like myself! So please don't just join CASSA write some letters when they need it! Tweet when they need it. It's not hard to get involved and be proactive! Please if you join plan on helping! Imagine what we could accomplish if we ALL wrote letters and ALL tweeted when we were asked! We would make a very important impact for our cause! We need everyone's help! Get on board and let's ban together for our cause! So please be active, it's a way we CAN make a difference! If we all just do a tiny part it will be a huge difference! So please join CASSA and do your part when needed so WE can make a difference!

cocoloco

ECF Veteran
    Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado

So should I go out and buy a bunch of the flavored juice I like before big government bans it or makes it more expensive than smoking cigarettes? Vaping has allowed me to quit smoking after 20 years with little to no effort (nothing has even come close before). I am saving money and enjoying every aspect of it (saving money, feeling better, no cough, etc.). Now big government is going to come in and make the price of juice out of hand and regulate the crap out of it. Very frustrated right now. Since I am new to this, I was not sure how all of the possible new regulations will effect it.

They did it once and were told to back off. There's no guarantee that they won't try to do it again. And if you've bothered to notice, the present threat is not so much from the Feds as from the States.

If you are really enjoying the experience and don't plan on going back to tobacco because of vaping, then I would urge you to err on the side of caution.

I have a one year supply in the freezer, and have started work on year 2. If they ban it - like many here think they will - then I'll have a cushion that will hopefully last me until clearer heads, or the Supreme Court, prevail.

One caveat ... the number of people that don't expect a ban is probably just as high as those who do. Weigh your needs against the possibility and act accordingly.

realsis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2014
    California
    You should depending on what you checked when you signed up but go to the CASSA website and look for their calls to action, write letters when asked to do so, (they outline what to say so it's really easy) tweet when they ask. Be proactive. I'm new as well and I just joined and responded to my first call to action by writing a letter to a congressman. They provide the names and email. I followed their general outline and gave my testament. It was much easier than I thought it would be. When they have a call to action just read on about what they would like us to do. It usually starts out by tweeting, after that scroll down and you will find the information on whom to write the email testament to and whom to send it to. They have made it very simple to get involved and help. Just think of the impact it would make if we all wrote letters!! I urge you to write letters and get involved. If you read the calls to action they will tell you how exactly to do it. Even though I'm a new vapor I believe we ALL have something to offer. Just take 5 min. And write, tweet, it will make a huge difference! If your not getting emails from CASSA, visit their site and see the calls to action and help out! The more people who do this, the better for our cause!

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    I have a one year supply in the freezer, and have started work on year 2. If they ban it - like many here think they will - then I'll have a cushion that will hopefully last me until clearer heads, or the Supreme Court, prevail.

... or until a Black Market forms. Which it will. Where there is demand, a supply will be offered.
    And if I have to go to the Black Market to live a healthier life, so be it.

I am in Europe, we lost in February against the mercenary bureaucrats of the European Union and the well-filled coffers of Big P. We are "on recess" now until the time comes for that de-facto ban on everything but cigalikes to be made into national law.

Have I stockpiled? You betcha. An army cannot fight on an empty stomach :)

Love the quotes, Anjaffm. :thumb: Too bad most people alive today are not aware of them. :(

Thank you, dear :wub:
    I cannot remember where I read the 1st one, but the 2nd one (Alexis de Toqueville) can be credited to Kent C. He posted it on ECF once, and I lapped it up :) It fits so well in so many cases.

Hey, and if the younger people do not know the quotes... let them read them. And maybe.. just maybe.. see the truth behind what we say, what we quote. Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Big THANK YOU for joining CASAA, dears! :wub:
    Heck, I am a member - and I am from Europe :) I do not write to your congressmen, but I most certainly tweet when tweets are called for.
    Every person counts when it comes to getting active. Yeah, I said we lost against the EU, above. We lost a battle. But we have not lost the war. And our numbers are increasing every day :)

cocoloco

ECF Veteran
    Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado
    I don't know if we will have a black market here in the USA, Anjaffm. I say that because I expect a public outcry that will be as loud as it will be indignant. We may not have political powers, but we do have very loud voices - and they grow in numbers every day. I suspect that the FDA having been turned back once would not come back for more if we were to stop them for a second time. My sense is that by the time they think they're ready for another round, enough research will have been completed to demonstrate the foolishness of their little game.

If you lost a battle in the EU, I don't blame you for taking the black market route - I know I would. But take heart ... our research here may be enough to turn the tide over there. But more importantly, your politicians are no different than ours ... your collective votes will go a long way towards getting their attention.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread