KF Prime arrived and now to build ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hey guy's , My Prime got here about an hour ago and i'm itching to get a build in it so here's the question.
I like vapeing in temp control and I also like using SS for my builds but my question is can I get a , lets say 1.0 ohm coil in that small deck as it would have to be about 10 -11 wraps on a 2.5mm and spaced ?.
I only have SS in 28g and 10 -12 wraps seems pretty "long" to fit on the deck , I say 1 ohm-ish because I heard it does'nt perform well under .5 Ohms.
I guess I could use KA1 to reach my 1.0 target ( 1.0 is not set in stone I just pulled it out as an example ).
What i'm trying to ask is ,,, what 28g SS coil will do well in the KF Prime in T/C.....
Thanks for sticking with me it's been a long day and I need my meds ,, no seriously I do..

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
Hey guy's , My Prime got here about an hour ago and i'm itching to get a build in it so here's the question.
I like vapeing in temp control and I also like using SS for my builds but my question is can I get a , lets say 1.0 ohm coil in that small deck as it would have to be about 10 -11 wraps on a 2.5mm and spaced ?.
I only have SS in 28g and 10 -12 wraps seems pretty "long" to fit on the deck , I say 1 ohm-ish because I heard it does'nt perform well under .5 Ohms.
I guess I could use KA1 to reach my 1.0 target ( 1.0 is not set in stone I just pulled it out as an example ).
What i'm trying to ask is ,,, what 28g SS coil will do well in the KF Prime in T/C.....
Thanks for sticking with me it's been a long day and I need my meds ,, no seriously I do..

I think if you use 3mm you can use an 8 or 9 wrap.

I was trying to accomplish the same thing on the Hastur mini that I got a couple of days ago. I put something silly like a 14-wrap contact coil on it. I looked through a bunch of reddit/ecf/VU posts and my sorta understanding of TC is that the high-resistance/low-wattage paradigm of VW doesn't really apply (as much). You just set the temperature to the vape you like and let the chip figure out how to get there.

So I put a 9 wrap spaced coil, also 28awg 316L. I could have gone smaller but I like the idea of a longer wire heating more cotton at lower temperatures and this is what I was able to fit comfortably on the deck (actually probably 1 wrap too many). It came in around 1ohm after all, but I wasn't aiming for that. The mod spends most of the time firing around 5V depending on the temp I set. My next build will be 6 or 7 wraps to see how that changes the vape.

I still don't fully understand the nuances of TC but hopefully this helps you to not worry so much about getting to a particular resistance. The temp you pick is what matters.

Hope your day gets better!

Ken

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
What build is best for you will depend on your personal preferences... like... hot/cold... tight/loose airflow... and the wattage, etc.

10-12 wraps probably wouldn't get good air flow to the ends.

Try 7 slightly spaced wraps with a 2.5mm core diameter. If you don't like it, pull out the deck and put a new build in. Wire is cheap.

Solaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2017
Thanks guy's , Well it looks like I might be able to get away with about 8 wraps spaced or go ahead and just make a bigger contact coil.
If I can build a spaced coil that doesn't cover the airflow too much and comes in at @ .7 - .8 or so I'll be happy.
Just decided I need to make a wire order I have ALL kinds of Kanthal and N80 and even some Nickel 205 ( whatever that is ,,lol.) but only one roll of SS.
Y'all have a great night , thanks again.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I see you have one,,,,, how's it acting ?.

It's terrific, I've been switching back and forth from Kan to SS TC and I am finding the TC just a bit brighter flavour and smoother draw. I had no problem with a 10 or even 11 wrap contact coil, but I am still new at it and just trying different builds. Happy vaping, I think you'll love it.

PS for me the most important part is the wicking, less is more

Solaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2017
just threw in a SS build made with some crazy pre built wire , it's made with 32gX3/40g --316L , this was tucked WAY back in my wire draw so I rolled a 7 wrap ( I think can't remember now) but anyway it's very tiny / thin twisted fused Clapton wire ohm-ing out to 0.66.
Yes it's lower than I wanted / hoped for but what the heck and for a first try it's giving me a fab vape .
My setting for it is 410f powered with 24.5 j in Standard mode on my SxMini MX.
Very impressed with this set-up and they go together great.
So my first venture with these two has been a success , now I can play around and find my " sweet spot " then try something else.
Prime is awesome ,,,,,,, me likey.
Thanks guy's.

Steven Martin

Feb 6, 2019
I have one and can list good advice I found here and my own observations with the primary focus on temp control issues. as a direct response to the original post, I have had the same issue only when I did not have the air control ring pushed down into the lock position and the tank would bind on it instead of seating on the o ring.
  • I suspect that coils made with thick wire and >2.5mm id may be pushed down by the chimney when the juice control is closed leading to ohm fluctuations
  • I use max 2.5 id coils usually 2mmid x30g 316L ss x about 18 wraps and then pull a couple out so that it is neat. 1.85 ohms at present.
  • You must lock the first ohm reading on your device before you fire it
  • Do not dry burn ss ever as it make tc impossible. not even to clean it!
  • I had to lift my coils quite high to get any flavour and now some juices are overpowering, the difference was surprising.
  • with tc set at 20 watts, a tcr value of 95 and a temp of 205 Celsius I get a supreme vape and wicks that last for many tankful's. previously it was a wick per fill.
  • I wick firmly in the coil but thin the tails to the point where they nearly fall out of the juice wells, if there is a bulge out beyond the side of the build deck I believe screwing the tank down compresses the cotton and starves the coil.
  • there are many references stating the need to tighten the center pin to correct ohm fluctuations. I watched a review where the center pin was removed exposing a 5mm nut. my nut was loose not the pin.
  • the coil legs can go around the outside of the posts.
  • It make the nicest rattling, gurgling, and popping noises when everything is just right.
  • the prime is definitely not a beginners tank :)
Hope it helps Cheers

Last edited:

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I have one and can list good advice I found here and my own observations with the primary focus on temp control issues.

I think you have good intentions but I do disagree with some of the advice you posted.

• I use max 2.5 id coils usually 2.5id x30g 316L ss x about 18 wraps and then pull a couple out. 1.85 ohms at present.

I'd certainly like to see a photo of that build! 18-16 wraps is a whopper!

My recommendation to others looking for a good build for TC is to start with 7 slightly spaced wraps of the 316L. I think 18 wraps is extreme for such a small chamber.

• It make the nicest rattling, gurgling, and popping noises when everything is just right.

In my experience, it is almost completely SILENT when everything is right.

I'd think that you've flooded it if it is gurgling. Popping might be due to a gappy wick... probably more likely to be a problem with a huge 18 wrap coil. If you use a smaller coil, you may have better air flow to the coil and a more flavorful vape.

When I top fill, I invert the tank before closing or opening the liquid flow control. That should eliminate flooding during filling.

Last edited:

Steven Martin

Feb 6, 2019
IMG_1598.JPG
my mistake 2.0mm id but the rest is correct.

Last edited:

Steven Martin

Feb 6, 2019
I don't believe this is a correct statement. Do you have anything to support it?

Also to agree with @smoked25years , my prime is almost completely silent.

Ken
dry burning stainless steel changes its molecular structure according to many sources on the web, this in turn changes its tcr value to an unknown specific to that particular coil. I could not get temp control to work until I heeded this advice and it works without fault now.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread