Kicked out of an establishment for vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
This is more of a vent thread. I found it comical given the circumstances and wrote a yelp review on the establishment. I recognized the establishment's wishes but thought it was a bit out of line.

The other night a friend came over that I haven't seen in a while. I live in an apartment with 2 sports bars within walking distance. Obviously, this is a huge plus because I don't have to worry about drinking and driving or taxis.

I usually frequent bar A because of the laid back atmosphere and staff; however, on this particular night they were dead and decided to try bar B a try.

When I walk in, we order a pitcher of beer and I ask the bar tender if I am aloud to vape inside. She said of course, go right ahead! I showed her my set up so that they doesn't confuse it for any type of tobacco product which was met with a "nice set up you have there". For the record, I use a IPV mini (30watt) with an Atlantis with 5ml extender vaping 20%PG, 80%VG juice. While at the bar talking to my friend, I feel a tap on my shoulder. A lady identifies herself as the manager of the bar and states to me "I know we allow vaping in here; however, the device you are using is emitting entirely too much smoke and is bothering me." I casually asked her if any other patrons are complaining (I sat myself at the end of the bar to isolate us because I vape out of respect) and she indicated they are not; however, my smoke is blowing her way and overcoming her and she cannot enjoy herself. She asks for me to either blow it down or less to prevent this. "Of course" I reply and start to take smaller drags and exhale from my nose so it blows down to the ground. After 2 minutes of this, I hear "Damn it, that's it. That guy is still doing it." She yells to the bartender to "tell that guy he can no longer do that inside and he must either leave or go outside". Well, it's raining outside so that isn't happening.

What made me the most mad is I was told I can vape, but then it's too much. I'm told to blow it down, but I guess the sight of it ...... her off. I heard other patrons tell her that it isn't bothering them. I isolate myself to try not to bother anyone, even after given approval to do it inside, and she gets ...... and not only calls me out infront of everyone but cannot come to me herself to tell me to leave or go outside. Great manager.

Upon paying my tab, I ask the bartender if my vapor was bothering her or other guests. She stated she had no complaints and barely noticed it, but the manager is boss and she must listen to her.

Bar B will no longer be patronized by myself, and I've informed other vapors to steer clear if they wish to go here.

/endrant

There are so many bars in Tampa that I don't need to deal with this type of BS, even after given permission and listening to demands given to me if I wish to continue to do so inside. With 20%VG/80VG, I was not even blowing monster clouds. All I wanted was that vapor/nic sensation that goes oh-so-well with alcohol...especially after a long week of work. Oh well.

Last edited:

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I don't get the anger. Someone who is not in charge of the establishment says it is ok, but when someone who is in charge- the manager, says it is not, suddenly there is an issue. No wonder I don't trust Yelp reviews...

Re-read my post sir - I will requote myself:

A lady identifies herself as the manager of the bar and states to me "I know we allow vaping in here; however, the device you are using is emitting entirely too much smoke and is bothering me."

As for your yelp comment - I am one to comment on yelp fairly. For instance, if I'm in a restaurant and I get bad service, I don't judge the restaurant based off a server's bad day. Rather - I comment on the food, atmosphere, value, ect. Before writing anything negative, I also give them a try, or 2, to see if it's the wait staff in general or just one bad apple.

I wrote a review on this establishment on the first try based on the fact that a manager told me this versus an employee. That's a bit different.

Last edited:

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Your experience is unfortunate and I feel for you, however, as the "manager" of the bar she should have the right to ask you to stop vaping in her establishment; right or wrong. It may just be her inexperience with vapors, her misunderstanding of the health risks (or lack thereof), or maybe she was simply in a pissy mood and choose you on which to vent her anger. Regardless, I'm the type of person who will respect the wishes of others, when in a public setting, especially with something as contentious as vaping. Your response and chosen option to go to another bar was probably the right thing to do.

Peter

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Re-read my post sir - I will requote myself:

A lady identifies herself as the manager of the bar and states to me "I know we allow vaping in here; however, the device you are using is emitting entirely too much smoke and is bothering me."

I read it. They probably just allow cigalike-sized vapor...

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
We have a popular bar here that opened a vape shop inside. I don't go to bars but assume it is a because of the no smoking laws here and they saw a way to keep customers.

I was talking to the owner of a coffee shop I frequent that is now a coffee shop/vape shop rolled into one. Business blew up due to the popularity of vaping and the need for a good place to hang out and vape. This is also a popular coffee shop located near the state University here in Tampa so you draw in the college crowd as well at night whom aren't interested in getting drunk but to hang out and still meet people without the need of alcohol.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Your experience is unfortunate and I feel for you, however, as the "manager" of the bar she should have the right to ask you to stop vaping in her establishment; right or wrong. It may just be her inexperience with vapors, her misunderstanding of the health risks (or lack thereof), or maybe she was simply in a pissy mood and choose you on which to vent her anger. Regardless, I'm the type of person who will respect the wishes of others, when in a public setting, especially with something as contentious as vaping. Your response and chosen option to go to another bar was probably the right thing to do.

Peter

When it comes to vaping, I always act with respect as I know the general consensus of the uneducated is it's smoking. If I vape around someone, I always ask permission. Outdoors I exhale toward the sky and always ask for permission while indoors.

I also take this opportunity to educate others as to what vaping really is as it's not smoking.

Last edited:

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
They will just say vaping is not allowed if the issue comes up again...

Sounds like the proper way to go to avoid conflict; however, a lot of bars around here have allowed it indoors. It not only drives in patrons due to the boom of popularity of vaping, but when it's hot outside (especially here in Florida with the humidity) it's nice to not have to step outside to get your nic fix while drinking.

There is so much competition in Tampa when it comes to drinking establishments that it only seems right to adapt.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
They will just say vaping is not allowed if the issue comes up again...

This.
And technically you weren't kicked out of the bar - you were asked to stop vaping inside
or to leave.
I'm not sure which side I'm on here because I'm going to come off as an old fart when
I say vaping high wattage big devices, with higher vg juice in a public establishment
isn't really the best of ideas to me. The manager might not even be aware that these
big devices existed when they chose to allow vaping inside the bar. And it's certainly
in her right to prevent you from using the device inside, just as it's your right to leave.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Sounds like the proper way to go to avoid conflict; however, a lot of bars around here have allowed it indoors. It not only drives in patrons due to the boom of popularity of vaping, but when it's hot outside (especially here in Florida with the humidity) it's nice to not have to step outside to get your nic fix while drinking.

There is so much competition in Tampa when it comes to drinking establishments that it only seems right to adapt.

It's a new hobby, so many establishments haven't figured out how do deal with it yet..

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
This.
And technically you weren't kicked out of the bar - you were asked to stop vaping inside
or to leave.
I'm not sure which side I'm on here because I'm going to come off as an old fart when
I say vaping high wattage big devices, with higher vg juice in a public establishment
isn't really the best of ideas to me. The manager might not even be aware that these
big devices existed when they chose to allow vaping inside the bar. And it's certainly
in her right to prevent you from using the device inside, just as it's your right to leave.

I am the same way hard to decide. But if I was going somewhere that doesn't allow smoking inside and I had never been there before my subohm setup with near max vg juice would probably not be what I decided to roll with. It's just going to draw attention no matter how stealth you try to be with it in a smoke free environment.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
I don't drink in the US, but on holiday at my local, which is full of smokers, I don't blow any more clouds than a cigarette does, unless I'm flirting with the bartender blowing Zombie Apocalypse at her face...

When out in public, I take basically cheaper egos and spinner types, with a smaller
tank on them. Mainly because I figure I might end up losing it and I don't want to be
out much, LOL.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
I am the same way hard to decide. But if I was going somewhere that doesn't allow smoking inside and I had never been there before my subohm setup with near max vg juice would probably not be what I decided to roll with. It's just going to draw attention no matter how stealth you try to be with it in a smoke free environment.

Exactly.
I stealth it in a lot of places where it's probably allowed anyway.
I prefer low key.
It's not a vape shop where everyone has the one thing in common,
it's out in the public eye.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
When out in public, I take basically cheaper egos and spinner types, with a smaller
tank on them. Mainly because I figure I might end up losing it and I don't want to be
out much, LOL.

I just take a couple ProVari and carto tanks-

330fhjs.jpg

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Exactly.
I stealth it in a lot of places where it's probably allowed anyway.
I prefer low key.
It's not a vape shop where everyone has the one thing in common,
it's out in the public eye.

If they allowed smoking it would be a different story cause well you can't say but it's your cloud of stuff I am offended by. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread