Newport News, Virginia, United States
Reactions: Bea-FL

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Thats a decent one. If that doesnt work you for then about the only thing you can do is put it on a higher pole, or maybe up on a tree???
Yup we tried a higher pole but nada…the live oaks around us and for miles around are huge…40-50+ feet tall.

• Optimistic
Reactions: mikepetro

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Well, you might not get OTA, but it must be pretty nice living in a forest! :)
It is… most of the time…the trees keep the summer heat from getting as bad as in open areas. And we only have to mow about 4 times a year. The leaves keep grass really low.

The only problem has been that the shade is great for mosquitos and when the hurricane came through we spent a sleepless night worrying that a tree would fall on the house. We have since had the three trees that could cause the greatest damage if they fell on the house cut down.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
It is… most of the time…the trees keep the summer heat from getting as bad as in open areas. And we only have to mow about 4 times a year. The leaves keep grass really low.

The only problem has been that the shade is great for mosquitos and when the hurricane came through we spent a sleepless night worrying that a tree would fall on the house. We have since had the three trees that could cause the greatest damage if they fell on the house cut down.
Shade or no shade, I dont think there is any escape from the Florida Air Force!

Reactions: Mowgli

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Well, you might not get OTA, but it must be pretty nice living in a forest! :)

I've wondered about that particular 150mi antenna sold on Amazon. It gets good reviews. Where I live about 90 miles South of Atlanta I'm thinking I could get pretty good reception since there's a 1000ft rise from Macon to Atlanta. I should be able to mount the antenna in the second story attic and point it correctly over the treetops. As a last resort I could pole mount it on an outside eave if needed.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I've wondered about that particular 150mi antenna sold on Amazon. It gets good reviews. Where I live about 90 miles South of Atlanta I'm thinking I could get pretty good reception since there's a 1000ft rise from Macon to Atlanta. I should be able to mount the antenna in the second story attic and point it correctly over the treetops. As a last resort I could pole mount it on an outside eave if needed.
If you luved closer I'd sell it to you. As it is I'll be putting it on Craigslist.

• Optimistic

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
If you luved closer I'd sell it to you. As it is I'll be putting it on Craigslist.
Actually I have been selling stuff at Craigslist for about 20 years. The trick is to price right. You find current new price and used price and search Craigslist for what other sellers are asking. Then you price your merchandise accordingly.

Many people make the mistake to expect to make a kiling selling that way. I don't, yet I've earned several thousand dollars that way…that includes a car:). And of course one should never allow buyers to come to your house.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Actually I have been selling stuff at Craigslist for about 20 years. The trick is to price right. You find current new price and used price and search Craigslist for what other sellers are asking. Then you price your merchandise accordingly.

Many people make the mistake to expect to make a kiling selling that way. I don't, yet I've earned several thousand dollars that way…that includes a car:). And of course one should never allow buyers to come to your house.

I'm the same way these days about letting people come to your house to look at things you've advertised. I'd rather trade a car with a dealer than go for a test drive with the prospective buyer driving me around. CarMax is the fix for that problem if the dealer won't cough up a decent trade-in.

Did you have problems with that antenna or was it just finding a suitable place to get signal?

Last edited:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I'm the same way these days about letting people come to your house to look at things you've advertised. I'd rather trade a car with a dealer than go for a test drive with the prospective buyer driving me around. CarMax is the fix for that problem if the dealer won't cough up a decent trade-in.

Did you have problems with that antenna? I'd like to heat about why you didn't use it.
Dave here is the first post that should answer your question. I think there are a couple more after that. Let me know if you have more questions after you read them.

Kicking Cable to the Curb

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Well got my roku delivered today and got it installed. Getting to know the free channels. Man, the roku channel itself has so many free movies and shows! Watching Philadelphia tonight…a great movie. But my favorite thing so far is the aquarium screensaver. :wub:
IMG_3576.PNG

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well got my roku delivered today and got it installed. Getting to know the free channels. Man, the roku channel itself has so many free movies and shows! Watching Philadelphia tonight…a great movie. But my favorite thing so far is the aquarium screensaver. :wub:
    View attachment 711907
    As an alternative, if you get a Firestick you can open the world of Android with plenty of tv and movie apps.

Reactions: Bea-FL

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Question: I looked and looked and cant find out how do you tell how long a movie/show is available on a given channel. I assume they are not available indefinately.
    They generally dont tell you, but except for HBO and the like, for the most part it is forever.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    GF had one, it works, but not nearly as well as an external antenna.
    One downside to it is that it is not easy to change the orientation to point it in other directions. But it does lend itself well to putting on the wall behind the TV if you get enough stations at that angle.

Reactions: DavidOck
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread