Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
No big surprise there. All the FDA is accomplishing is nothing. It is a known fact that, after a study was made earlier this year, Marlboro, Camels, and Newports are the cigarettes of choice by youth. Not the cherry, vanilla, toffee, or clove style. In fact, when I went to high school many moons ago, Newport was the "cool" cigarette to have. If you smoked a Newport, you were cool.

When I went to High School, believe it or not, the students actually had a smoking area.

So, I don't go for this sudden government crackdown on cigarettes. The government ITSELF is soley responsible for the current generation of smokers. They're going about it half-assed backwards. Ban all flavors except menthol (big amongst youth), ban electronic cigarettes, all to insure that the Marlboro Monopoly Act takes full effect.

Eventually people will see through this sharade for what it is indeed worth. An attempt to keep the money flow intact . This ban on fruit flavors is a big joke, and accomplishes nothing.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I do like that opinion piece, Lacey, but find it unfathomable that the author blames the FDA for the ban on flavored cigarettes. That prohibition was voted on by both house of Congress after much open argument. The FDA was given a mandate, not a choice in this matter. Congress also mandated that the FDA could not order menthol banned and could not order nicotine eliminated from tobacco smoke.

The FDA didn't make these rules. Why on earth would the author of a piece for Reason not know and acknowledge that fact?

I have always found the flavored-cigs-lure-kids argument ludicrous on its face. They do not. And I think any notion that they do can be refuted in less than a minute. The ban on flavors is simply another step step toward eventual tobacco prohibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread