The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Kids and Smoking

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by LaceyUnderall, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LaceyUnderall

LaceyUnderall Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2008
    USA and Canada
  2. Symmetric

Symmetric Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
    Dallas, GA, USA
    I've said it a million times; Kids don't smoke because it tastes good, they do it because it's cool. If schools encouraged kids to smoke, the underage smoking rate would be .1% (there're always those kids that do as they're told)

3. kristin

kristin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    Great article find, Lacey. Kind of kills the concept that e-cigs are also an segway to teenage smoking because of the flavors, too. Good to have those numbers available to counter the e-cigs are targeting kids argument!

4. BigJimW

BigJimW Moved On ECF Veteran

May 17, 2009
    Warwick, RI
    No big surprise there. All the FDA is accomplishing is nothing. It is a known fact that, after a study was made earlier this year, Marlboro, Camels, and Newports are the cigarettes of choice by youth. Not the cherry, vanilla, toffee, or clove style. In fact, when I went to high school many moons ago, Newport was the "cool" cigarette to have. If you smoked a Newport, you were cool.

When I went to High School, believe it or not, the students actually had a smoking area.

So, I don't go for this sudden government crackdown on cigarettes. The government ITSELF is soley responsible for the current generation of smokers. They're going about it half-assed backwards. Ban all flavors except menthol (big amongst youth), ban electronic cigarettes, all to insure that the Marlboro Monopoly Act takes full effect.

Eventually people will see through this sharade for what it is indeed worth. An attempt to keep the money flow intact . This ban on fruit flavors is a big joke, and accomplishes nothing.

5. Applejackson

Applejackson Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
    Albany, NY
    Actually, from the sound of things, it accomplishes one thing. It ensures the big 3's stranglehold on the cigarette market, not allowing any company to offer an alternate product.

6. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
  7. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
    I do like that opinion piece, Lacey, but find it unfathomable that the author blames the FDA for the ban on flavored cigarettes. That prohibition was voted on by both house of Congress after much open argument. The FDA was given a mandate, not a choice in this matter. Congress also mandated that the FDA could not order menthol banned and could not order nicotine eliminated from tobacco smoke.

The FDA didn't make these rules. Why on earth would the author of a piece for Reason not know and acknowledge that fact?

I have always found the flavored-cigs-lure-kids argument ludicrous on its face. They do not. And I think any notion that they do can be refuted in less than a minute. The ban on flavors is simply another step step toward eventual tobacco prohibition.

8. LaceyUnderall

LaceyUnderall Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2008
    USA and Canada
    TB - While you are completely right that Congress made these rules, not the FDA, is it not possible that the pressure by the FDA and other mad anti-smoking groups through their propaganda made these rules to be so?

9. circeseye

circeseye Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2009
    Modesto
    funny thing is i couldn't stand the flavored cigs to me they sucked. i was a marlboro smoker all my life and flavors just wasnt good to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.