Kind of new to vaping need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It could simply be vaper's tongue - once you get used to a flavour you can go through a spell of not tasting it. It's also not unusual to not taste vape flavours at all for a period, especially just after quitting smoking. People have speculated that it may have something to do with the taste buds recovering after quitting. Have you tried different flavours and a new coil? If you have any 6 mg/ml left, can you try it out to see whether or not you still taste it?

Another issue that your post brings up is that your tank might not suit you. Smok tanks are really for cloud chasing more than flavour. Their general popularity means a lot of people who are new to vaping wind up using Smok products when they'd really be happier with something else.

Are you familiar with the difference between MTL and DL style vaping? Mouth-to-lung (MTL) means you suck the vapour into your mouth and then inhale it. MTL devices tend to be more flavour-focused. The Juul would be MTL. Smok devices are DL, or direct lung: you inhale the vapour straight down. They're more cloud-focused, although that doesn't mean you can't get good flavour.

If you don't mind answering a few questions, someone here might be able to suggest a better tank for you:
  • Does DL or MTL sound better to you, or are you not sure?
  • What wattage are you using?
  • What coil are you using? Have you tried any others, and, if so, which did you prefer?

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. So many variables exist between the juul and the smok, and additional input is needed to help you. What coil are you using? Pg/vg ratio of your juice? What wattage are you using to fire the coil?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hello, I've stopped smoking using the juul but I was going through pods often, so I switched to a baby smok with ejuice 6mg. Now I'm at 3mg but I'm not tasting the flavors. I'm chasing flavor not clouds. What am I doing wrong? Or do I need to go back to 6mgs? Please help
Less nicotine does not equal less flavor. I think it is almost the opposite many times because nicotine itself has a flavor.

Whyte bread

Dec 14, 2018
It could simply be vaper's tongue - once you get used to a flavour you can go through a spell of not tasting it. It's also not unusual to not taste vape flavours at all for a period, especially just after quitting smoking. People have speculated that it may have something to do with the taste buds recovering after quitting. Have you tried different flavours and a new coil? If you have any 6 mg/ml left, can you try it out to see whether or not you still taste it?

Another issue that your post brings up is that your tank might not suit you. Smok tanks are really for cloud chasing more than flavour. Their general popularity means a lot of people who are new to vaping wind up using Smok products when they'd really be happier with something else.

Are you familiar with the difference between MTL and DL style vaping? Mouth-to-lung (MTL) means you suck the vapour into your mouth and then inhale it. MTL devices tend to be more flavour-focused. The Juul would be MTL. Smok devices are DL, or direct lung: you inhale the vapour straight down. They're more cloud-focused, although that doesn't mean you can't get good flavour.

If you don't mind answering a few questions, someone here might be able to suggest a better tank for you:
  • Does DL or MTL sound better to you, or are you not sure?
  • What wattage are you using?
  • What coil are you using? Have you tried any others, and, if so, which did you prefer?
funny you say that I also tried the myle and enjoyed that as well. The juul didnt give me a strong enough pull. But the mile did but again its buying pods. And yes I'm a MTL vaper lol.. the wattage is questionable i adjust it often to get the best flavor without a burnt taste. And i have no idea of the cool. I went into the shop and got little to no help. I was thinking maybe i should switch to a refillable pen style device? I havent smoked a cigarette since dec 27, 2017 so almost a year. I did try and couldnt tolarate the taste (wet ash tray yuck) lol

Whyte bread

Dec 14, 2018
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. So many variables exist between the juul and the smok, and additional input is needed to help you. What coil are you using? Pg/vg ratio of your juice? What wattage are you using to fire the coil?
its 70vg/30pg. Have no idea of the coil type. And I adjust the wattage occasionally trying to get the most flavor. I do have the vent just slightly opened.

Reactions: VapourFlavour

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
funny you say that I also tried the myle and enjoyed that as well. The juul didnt give me a strong enough pull. But the mile did but again its buying pods. And yes I'm a MTL vaper lol.. the wattage is questionable i adjust it often to get the best flavor without a burnt taste. And i have no idea of the cool. I went into the shop and got little to no help. I was thinking maybe i should switch to a refillable pen style device? I havent smoked a cigarette since dec 27, 2017 so almost a year. I did try and couldnt tolarate the taste (wet ash tray yuck) lol

At least the cigarettes are behind you! A refillable pod system might work well. I'll leave the recommendations to someone else as I'm not too familiar with them.

If you want to try a different tank with your current mod, the leading contenders for MTL are Aspire's Nautilus series and the Innokin Zenith. There's a new version of the Nautilus that's either just come out or is coming out very shortly - the 2S.

MTL also tends to involve higher resistance coils, lower wattage and higher nicotine levels, so if you try one of the above tanks you'll want to turn your settings way down and try increasing your nicotine - about double is common. You'll go through juice a lot more slowly so even with the higher nicotine level you should be getting about the same amount of nicotine overall as you were with the Baby.

• Agree
Reactions: Whyte bread

Whyte bread

Dec 14, 2018
its 70vg/30pg.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Less nicotine does not equal less flavor. I think it is almost the opposite many times because nicotine itself has a flavor.

That's my experience as well. I used 24 mg/ml juice for the first few years I vaped, and I had to order it with 2x the flavour to taste anything. I finally started dropping my nicotine levels and once I got below 10 the juice I'd relied on for years became so sweet and strong it was utterly disgusting. It finally occurred to me to drop the double flavour request and it went right back to how I remembered it.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
"the wattage is questionable i adjust it often to get the best flavor without a burnt taste. " The following may help you with wattage and taste:
Resistance is Futile - Vapor Connection LLC | Pittsburgh's Premiere Vapor Shop & Lounge
What Ohms should I choose?
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour
"I went into the shop and got little to no help." In what country and city?
Could fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

• Informative
Reactions: Diver9543
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread