Kind of surprised - taste/smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
So Sunday I started vaping while reducing analogs. Had smoked 2-3 PAD depending on life/length of day/etc. Each day, I've cut back a bit more on analogs. Today I've had 8 and will likely have 1 more. vaping 1-2 ml.

By 2nd day, analogs tasted wretched. That didn't surprise me based on what I'd read/heard from others who've gone over to e-cigs.

Yesterday I learned to draw properly on the Ego / Saturn I'm using, to drink more non-caffeinated fluids and to chain vape. Result: the withdrawal type feelings I'd had Sun-Mon had gone.

Today I didn't chain vape so feeling a bit edgy but not the light-headedness I had Sun-Mon. I had some chest discomfort last night so I think subconsciously I didn't want to chain vape today. Maybe not so good.

What has been a big surprise for me is that in spite of not being off analogs yet, taste and smell have bowled me over today. I made an Americano coffee and was surprised that it smelled so strong but it tasted awful. I usually love them but had to dunk it out after a few sips. I made a maple flavored coffee in Keurig. Have had one before. Didn't notice the smell before. Noticed mild taste. Today both smell and taste were overpowering.

I'm 45 and have smoked since 16 so this has been a pretty wild day. Everything tastes/smells different. What is strange is that I've quit smoking before - twice for as long as 6 months - and never noticed this. I don't know if it's a case where I'm not distracted with quitting and withdrawal so I'm more aware.

Is this normal without even being off analogs entirely?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Familiar story, with perhaps your own variations. The taste/smell thing affects all of us to one degree or another. The body is more than willing to heal itself, it just need the right ingredients added, and the wrong ingredients removed. It is this detoxification process that we give the name withdrawal symptoms, or symptoms of quitting. It gets better! Happy to have you on the Team. Congrats, and keep up the good work. You can do it!

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I know the feeling well, went through it myself. Used to love regular Foldger's coffee, now it taste muddy, has to be 100% Colombian or coffee is mud water. those cheap, imitation extracts for cooking, yeah they tasted fine when I smoked, now - no way, obvious fakes and, I want the real thing. (Some no so cheap imitation flavors are good.)

You'll notice not so pleasant smells and tastes more as well as the pleasant ones but, after a while you get used to it and, realize it's no different than any other non smoker, just your brain wasn't used to it being that way and, you do get used to it.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
a suggestion as well, instead of chain vaping, which will occur at first anyway or may continue more for the enjoyment then the need, would be to up your nic level in your juice.

And congrats....be prepared for major sinus drainage :D as all of that gunk finally starts to clear out of your head....and yes make sure to drink plenty of water/juice/gatorade something non-caffeinated and probably non-carbonated to keep your body hydrated as vaping does dry you out but if that's really the worst side effect ;) it's a lot better than cigs

yes once you get used to the ego batteries you will come to love them over the cig-look-a-like craptastic things.

Welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask any questions, really there is nothing too stupid to ask (trust me, been there done that, still asking stupid things)

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Wait until the day you only have 1/2 or one in the morning or at night, thats when I realized how nasty analogs are. Congrats on doing what you are, it sounds like you are well on your way!

It's pretty odd for me. I had tried Zyban for one quit and it worked great until I started getting panic attacks (never had them before that!) and had to stop it. The grossness of cigarettes I'm feeling with e-cigs is pretty much the same as Zyan!

Thanks... getting there! I'm trying to approach this like weight loss - I didn't get to smoking so much overnight, don't expect to stop it overnight.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Familiar story, with perhaps your own variations. The taste/smell thing affects all of us to one degree or another. The body is more than willing to heal itself, it just need the right ingredients added, and the wrong ingredients removed. It is this detoxification process that we give the name withdrawal symptoms, or symptoms of quitting. It gets better! Happy to have you on the Team. Congrats, and keep up the good work. You can do it!

Thanks Bill! Yes - detox is a better way to put it than withdrawal. More apt for what I'm feeling.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Getting off a 2-3 pack a day addiction is tough. Keep plugging away, you're doing great. It's strange being able to smell again. That was an odd adjustment. Things like chocolate taste even greater :) Just about everything tastes better.

Oh no, I had enough problems with chocolate while smoking... it will taste better now? haha :ohmy:

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
I know the feeling well, went through it myself. Used to love regular Foldger's coffee, now it taste muddy, has to be 100% Colombian or coffee is mud water. those cheap, imitation extracts for cooking, yeah they tasted fine when I smoked, now - no way, obvious fakes and, I want the real thing. (Some no so cheap imitation flavors are good.)

You'll notice not so pleasant smells and tastes more as well as the pleasant ones but, after a while you get used to it and, realize it's no different than any other non smoker, just your brain wasn't used to it being that way and, you do get used to it.

Great description on the folgers... muddy is how the Americano tasted to me. What would a (presumably) sane person do? I made another one and it tasted just as awful so realized, yeah, I can taste again and this is not good.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
same for me, have only been vaping for about 3 weeks. Started on a Friday and by tuesday the analogs were tasting nasty(and I loved my cigs) had my last one 2 weeks ago today. It has never been this easy to quit before. Taste is very different then any other time i have quit .

Interesting you said that... the taste thing IS very different for me.. not sure why. Congrats to you! I hope to be analog-free soon!

minigoat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
USA
Hi Sharon, welcome and all !

I am coming up on 2 years and have a similar history to yours. Has taken me a bit longer to re-learn flavors and smells since for most of my life they were masked by you know what. I do recall having to stop inhaling with e-cigs because of discomfort back when I started vaping. I did the mouth/nose only thing for a couple days and it passed. Have not had a problem since.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
a suggestion as well, instead of chain vaping, which will occur at first anyway or may continue more for the enjoyment then the need, would be to up your nic level in your juice.

And congrats....be prepared for major sinus drainage :D as all of that gunk finally starts to clear out of your head....and yes make sure to drink plenty of water/juice/gatorade something non-caffeinated and probably non-carbonated to keep your body hydrated as vaping does dry you out but if that's really the worst side effect ;) it's a lot better than cigs

yes once you get used to the ego batteries you will come to love them over the cig-look-a-like craptastic things.

Welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask any questions, really there is nothing too stupid to ask (trust me, been there done that, still asking stupid things)

Thank you! I had been in California for a couple months, came back to Canada and had a miserable summer cold for a couple weeks. Had cut back smoking for that. Got allergies after the cold but had gone back to smoking. One week of allergies and decided to break out e-cig and just get this done with. So I'm already dealing with mucus garbage with that. Hopefully it will make the detox easier.

I'm rotating between 24 and 11 nic juice. I need to pick up some more attys and flavors since I'm a bit limited now. Have 2 tobacco like ones and a fruit one. Fortunately I tried them in a B&M store before so I knew I'd like em all but time to add more in the mix. A local place has nic juice in 2 increments so my plan is to rotate between 24-12 and then drop 2 every few weeks. First I need to get off analogs entirely though! The 24 seems to be more difficult for me at night... I had a lot of trouble sleeping the first 2 with using it. Last night I stuck to the 11 at night and it was easier. I also slept better too.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Hi Sharon, welcome and all !

I am coming up on 2 years and have a similar history to yours. Has taken me a bit longer to re-learn flavors and smells since for most of my life they were masked by you know what. I do recall having to stop inhaling with e-cigs because of discomfort back when I started vaping. I did the mouth/nose only thing for a couple days and it passed. Have not had a problem since.

Thanks! I feel better knowing it's not just me! The good news is - life will be more interesting now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread