Kinetic Battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Wow I guess I am not the only one that has thought of this. What may be better than shaking the device is a crank motor. Most electrical motors when provided energy turn in one direction. If you reverse this and turn it yourself electricity is produced. What I imagined after thinking that shaking a personal vaporiser could cause damage was a flip down crank lever such that when folded does not take up extra room. Cranking the lever provides energy to the atomizer as needed. Those shake up flashlights actually do have a battery. The reverse crank does not and is why it has some additional benefits. The downfall is that you have to crank while you vape ... I suppose the crank method could be used to create an ultra small personal vaporizer... or could be used in combination with a battery for charging on the fly. Small electric motors are widely available and cheap. Adding a crank is not rocket science. The wiring and voltage regulation... I am completely ignorant of. Can anyone provide a simple to understand explanation of what I am talking about and provide insight on concerns regarding voltage out put and how much "cranking" you would have to do do to provide enough energy to vape on demand?

Thanks

link to examples (does not include small motors but same principal applies.)

Another link and text following:
LINK

"Hold unit in one hand and turn the crank lever with the other. You can generate 5 to 6 Volts / 200 to 250 mAh to recharge your Hymini and your GPS, Mobile Cell Phone, iPod or other devices via the USB charging port."

Another example of how you could DIY with an old printers stepper motor.
YouTube - Make The World's Simplest Hand Cranked LED Flashlight

Now further expand the idea to make the cranking motion easier buy incorporating the physics of a device with a pull cord that performs an action when retracted. Pull cord to specific length (no power) watch it self retract (while turning motor) while you vape. No more batteries. Ever.

Last edited:

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
There are many hand cranked generators out there that could easily be modded to do what you are looking for:
Dynamo Flashlight with 5 Super Bright LEDs
"...generates up to 800 milliamps current to charge the built in Ni-MH batteries Rechargeable battery: 3 pieces of AA 1600mA/3.6V Ni-MH"

and it costs $12 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Kaito 5-LED Hand Crank Rechargeable Flashlight, MS606: Home Improvement

Then there's this one:
Dynamo Flashlight with 5 Super Bright LEDs that "...generates up to 1,300 milliamp current..." - That is powerful enough to directly run an eCig with no battery, although I can't imagine trying to crank one while simultaneously puffing away at a manual eCig.

I would envision making a manual passthrough with one of these. It should not take much more than the case itself, a default "on" pushbutton switch, and some wire going to a battery tube with a connection terminal on it. Or it could be made as a single unit - crank it up, then vape until the charge runs down, then crank some more.

I guess it would be great if you go camping a lot or something like that.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Unless you're building something pedal powered, there is no way you'll be able to generate enough current to vape off of something like this directly. You could make something out of a flashlight to slowly charge a battery, but there are pre-built USB hand crank chargers already that would do just as good or better.

Here's one for $2.90 with free shipping.

Here's a stronger one that also doubles as a flashlight.

joeparker54

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2009
MI
That's gonna take a whole lotta crankin;)
I think a better solution would be an ultracap/supercap powered deviced that could be recharged in seconds. Who wants to buy a $170 flashlight to mod??:evil: Google Light for Life for more info. Then again, as a Candlepowerforums member, a shiver runs down my spine when I look at any flashlight mod.

Here's one for $2.90 with free shipping.

(read the reviews of that one on dealextreme... the voltage is unregulated and pops out up and down 4 to 6 volts)

Here's a stronger one that also doubles as a flashlight.

(this one is my second choice from frys here in alpharetta, but its a bit huge to vape off of unless you hack up a usb pass though)

simage

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Massachusetts
That's gonna take a whole lotta crankin;)
I think a better solution would be an ultracap/supercap powered deviced that could be recharged in seconds..

lol...I was thinking the same thing...I was just reading up on these..They are about 25% of the efficiency of a battery but I think if you add a wireless charging board and get a wireless transmitter in your car at home and in work you could make it through the average day holding a charge almost at full capacity! Just use some wiitricity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread