Kissbox Extended arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
OK so my 2 Kissbox extended kits came in the mail last night. Things are charged up and I've got a chance to play with it so I thought I'd post a couple thoughts.

A little background I've been using a Puresmoker Classic Penstyle for a couple months now and while I've been generally satisfied with the product supply issues had me down to a single battery and my USB pass-through croaked so I was getting pretty desperate to get some new equipment and since PS didn't have any stock at the time I did a little research and decided to try the Kissbox extended out. The fact that it came with the car adapter and the USB pass-through went a long way on my decision the longer warranty didn't hurt either I figured sure it might cost more but at least I can expect 3 months life out of a battery instead of 2.

Having been through this before, this time I followed the advice that I've been giving to people and ordered 2 units this gives me 2 atomizers chargers USB pass-through’s and 4 batteries which should provide sufficient redundancies to weather parts failures.

First I’m completely satisfied with the initial customer experience. I admit to some trepidation in advanced based on some of the forum chatter as well as one friend here at work who's had some problems getting his order.

I made my order for 2 Kissbox extended kits and a couple boxes of carts on Monday. Because I'm an impatient idiot I failed to read the email from Janty properly when I did the PayPal transaction and forgot to put my order# in the PayPal transaction. I emailed orders@jantyusa.com and got a quick response from Jeff that it had been taken care of I also emailed asking about shipping lead time and got another reply indicating that the order should ship that day.

One thing I would definitely suggest to Janty is to change their PayPal order process they need to establish a formal relationship and handle their billing in a way more appropriate to a company rather than a private individual. For example when I order to Puresmoker I am redirected to the PayPal site and all the transaction information is in the order so all I have to do is choose funding type and complete the transaction no need to enter any order numbers no potential for mistakes to be made due to over-exuberance or simple stupidity. I suspect that many of the issues people have experienced with orders probably trace back to a failure to put the order number in the PayPal transaction.

I received confirmation of electronic receipt from the shipper on Monday indicating that Janty had notified them of the shipment. I got a bit concerned when the shipping status never changed on Tuesday then when I got to work on Wednesday morning I found the shipping status had changed to Arrival at Unit convincing me that it was probably going to be in my mail box when I got home.

When I got home last night I found the package in my mail box. Gleefully pulled it out and set up everything to charging.

On the packaging, it’s very compact compared to the stuff I received from Puresmoker. The Kit actually consisted of two main boxes the smaller of which held the batteries, atomizer, switches, charger and a box of RY4 high cartridges. The second box held the extended equipment and the case. The sub boxes were stuffed in with very little unused space so which frankly makes more sense than the large box with dividers and tons of air that came with the Puresmoker unit.

The Kissbox differs from Generic Penstyle in that it has separate switch and battery design compared to most which have their switch built into the battery housing. The threads on the battery are different from generics since the switch actually threads into battery rather than the atomizer I would imagine this is intentional to prevent people from connecting the battery directly to the atomizer by mistake and causing the atomizer to burn itself out. The disadvantage being that it's charger will not work non-Janty batteries and you won't be able to use you standard Penstyle charger to charge the Janty batteries.

The connection on the switch itself if standard so it will work perfectly fine with non-Janty atomizers and you can use the Janty atomizer with generic batteries.

I'm still getting used to the manual switch but I definitely see how it would be superior for dripping with the flat contact that won't allow liquid to get into switch mechanism or battery unit. I do wish there was a visible indicator that it its engaged and delivering power, I guess one has to assume when vapor isn't coming out that the battery is dead.

One thing I definitely like about the automatic switch is that the LED is on the switch itself which means I can see it when vaping unlike the ones on the end of the unit you know on the other side of the tube so the device itself occludes visibility of its status.

At this point I'm mainly using my Puresmoker atomizer because it seems to perform better then again the Janty atomizer is brand new and these things tend to have a break in period so there is a good chance that after I use it a bit its performance may improve don’t get me wrong it’s making vape but it still seems a little odd to me and that might be just a difference in the draw that I’ll get used to over time.

Build quality over all seems quite solid for the vaporizer parts themselves. The charger’s cable could be a little longer it's only about 9 inches long meaning it has to pretty much sit right at a plug.

The USB pass-through has a rechargeable battery in it which is replaceable meaning it can be used when disconnected from power as a backup battery when not at a power source. It also included a car adapter and a wall adapter which is a nice little bonus. My only gripe with it is that the cabling itself is a flat kind of weak looking bit that just strikes me as not in keeping with the overall build quality of the rest of the kit.

Oh yeah it also included a carry case that can hold 2 batteries the switches and atomizer with Cartridge in it. The case itself could be a little better if it had a lip for both parts of the clam shell to ease opening It would also be nice if it had space for a small bottle of liquid but considering that most kits don’t even offer cases my criticisms seem kind of petty.

In conclusion at this point I'm very pleased with my Kissbox sure it costs more up front $134 isn't anything to sneeze at considering the kit from Puresmoker is only about $50 Even adding in the PS USB pass-through you only get to about $70, say $15 bucks more for a car USB adapter and you'd still be $40 bucks cheaper than the Janty kit.

Still the longer warranty on parts as well as the flexibility of being able to choose manual vs auto switches counts for something and considering the failure rate I'm having on batteries from Puresmoker it is likely to end up at about a wash in overall price.

I definitely plan on doing more business with Janty in the future based on the experience so far.

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
I bought an extended Kissbox when they were on sale. Also bought the Puresmoker 801 with USB for a backup supplier. Eventually, I sold the Kissbox as the Puresmoker 801 with usb out performed the Kissbox and replacement parts are cheaper.

Brian

Don't misunderstand I like PureSmoker and would have been more than happy to continued ordering exclusively from them had it not been for the supply chain issues. In fact I'm currently waiting for a new Penstyle kit from PS and a ton of Juice but in 2 months I've had two batteries fall apart on me and a USB pass-through fail to the point where I was sneaking in the occasional analog while topping off my remaining working battery.

This is no fault of Steve or anyone at PureSmoker, It's not like he asked Customs to hold his shipments.

But because of these issues I decided it would be a good idea to explore other sources for equipment and supplies. As far as costs of parts they aren't that different and Janty has a much greater warranty period which obviously is reflected in the higher costs. My experience so far with batteries is that I’m getting around 2 months use out of the PureSmoker batteries PureSmoker’s warranty however is only 15days which means that I'm going to loose a battery every other month. With a three month warranty on the Janty batteries assuming their life is equivalent (and they might be higher) That means I should get 3 months use out of a battery minimum compared to the 2 months I'm getting out of the PureSmoker product. The price difference on bats is only 2 bucks which means I'm I should be coming out about 12 bucks to the good per battery.

Since I've been lucky enough not to have an atomizer failure yet I can't honestly comment on the how that's going to compare and since I can always stick PureSmoker atomizers on my KissBox its really a moot point anyway.

The only real questions remaining for me are the switches and USB pass-through. So far my experience with the PureSmoker Pass-through hasn't been glowing. When it worked it was wonderful but it failed at around a month.

I'm pretty sure the failure on my PS Pass-through was switch related so the Janty pass-through won't have that issue. Since the switch is a separate part with a longer 6 month warranty I don't have to worry about a switch failure leaving me without power.

The two companies have different business models and each has their advantages. Cash would be in a really good position if his supply were constant however the semi-disposable model has a high requirement for constant source of new product.

Admittedly Janty is at a bit higher risk due to their warranty they'll have more exposure to supply issues if they aren't keeping sufficient stock back to handle replacements. However assuming they’ve done their due diligence and have sufficient stock kept in reserve for warranty service they should be a more stable source.

I most certainly did not mean this review as a slam on Puresmoker my experiences with that company have been excellent I just wanted to share my experience with Janty as well.

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
Don't misunderstand I like PureSmoker and would have been more than happy to continued ordering exclusively from them had it not been for the supply chain issues. In fact I'm currently waiting for a new Penstyle kit from PS and a ton of Juice but in 2 months I've had two batteries fall apart on me and a USB pass-through fail to the point where I was sneaking in the occasional analog while topping off my remaining working battery.

This is no fault of Steve or anyone at PureSmoker, It's not like he asked Customs to hold his shipments.

But because of these issues I decided it would be a good idea to explore other sources for equipment and supplies. As far as costs of parts they aren't that different and Janty has a much greater warranty period which obviously is reflected in the higher costs. My experience so far with batteries is that I’m getting around 2 months use out of the PureSmoker batteries PureSmoker’s warranty however is only 15days which means that I'm going to loose a battery every other month. With a three month warranty on the Janty batteries assuming their life is equivalent (and they might be higher) That means I should get 3 months use out of a battery minimum compared to the 2 months I'm getting out of the PureSmoker product. The price difference on bats is only 2 bucks which means I'm I should be coming out about 12 bucks to the good per battery.

Since I've been lucky enough not to have an atomizer failure yet I can't honestly comment on the how that's going to compare and since I can always stick PureSmoker atomizers on my KissBox its really a moot point anyway.

The only real questions remaining for me are the switches and USB pass-through. So far my experience with the PureSmoker Pass-through hasn't been glowing. When it worked it was wonderful but it failed at around a month.

I'm pretty sure the failure on my PS Pass-through was switch related so the Janty pass-through won't have that issue. Since the switch is a separate part with a longer 6 month warranty I don't have to worry about a switch failure leaving me without power.

The two companies have different business models and each has their advantages. Cash would be in a really good position if his supply were constant however the semi-disposable model has a high requirement for constant source of new product.

Admittedly Janty is at a bit higher risk due to their warranty they'll have more exposure to supply issues if they aren't keeping sufficient stock back to handle replacements. However assuming they’ve done their due diligence and have sufficient stock kept in reserve for warranty service they should be a more stable source.

I most certainly did not mean this review as a slam on Puresmoker my experiences with that company have been excellent I just wanted to share my experience with Janty as well.

I never had a problem with Janty either and consider it the Cadilac of e-cigs. I prefer a lot of vapor over quality though. I have three USBs from PS. One I have been using several months with no problems, the others are backups. You can't drip with PS stuff or you risk a stuck switch. You are right about the current supply problems with Puresmoker also. If he doesn't get things ironed out soon I will have to switch vendors myself.

Brian

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Your initial review of the Kissbox is pretty accurate. I expect you will be a devoted manual switch user within a week. I am not a big fan of the Janty atomizer so I use generic penstyle atomizers from Puresmoer and VaporGuys instead. The only downside to the Janty pass-through is that the atomizer receives current from the battery, not the USB port. So, if you have a USB port that can provide a solid 5V, you will not get anymore than around 4v from the inline battery. And yes, it is a bit flimsy ro it never leaves my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread