Kroma-A & Innokin Zenith Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
OK. Finally have to go ahead and get another mod, because I am giving up on my current piece of crap - Aspire Zelos.

In looking at the official Innokin web site, the starter kit is named just as I have included in the Subject line above. However, in looking at their "authorized" sellers, none of them carry this kit.

So, I found a company I had used before BUT they have it labeled as: Innokin™ iTaste Kroma-A 75w TC Starter Kit (w/ Zenith tank). Seriously? Why the name differences? I can't see anything different in what is contained in each kit.

The official Innokin on line store sells this kit for $73 US, the other one (and also another, different company) sell it for $50 US. The company I used before has a statement on their web site about the products being authentic, specifically saying they don't carry "knock offs"? Do I just bite the bullet and buy the one from Innokin's store for $23 more?? Can anyone help??

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I have nothing to add to what AXIOM_1. But I'd like to know why you say the Aspire Zelos is crap. When I first started looking for a box mod a month and a half ago, the Zelos was one of the first I considered (before registering here, in fact). I dismissed it because I read the Nautilus tank must be emptied before the coil can be changed (although I've since learned there are ways around that) and because I didn't want an internal battery. Then I ended up getting the Kroma-A, despite its battery, because it came with the Zenith tank. What bullet did I dodge by deciding against the Zelos?

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I have nothing to add to what AXIOM_1. But I'd like to know why you say the Aspire Zelos is crap. What bullet did I dodge by deciding against the Zelos?

The Aspire Zelos with a Nautilus 2 tank first and foremost leaks - at times. It is very finicky on this matter.
1.) When filling the tank, IF you are lucky enough NOT to have the tank come off with the top (doesn't always happen), when you put the top back on, you have to turn the mod upside down to finish the last twist or so (supposedly helps remove excess air and reduces leakage and gurgling - NOT).
2.) Then, you have to let it sit for at least 5 minutes before attempting to use it (let juice into the coil).
3.) And, then it needs to have the air holes opened up fully and to blow through it (again, I guess to get rid of air - WTFK).
4.) Then, EVERY TIME, I use it I have to suck on it at least 20 puffs to get vapor.
5.) Never have had it NOT gurgle.

After that it's all good - until you have to add juice or replace coil. LOL!!:glare:

I know others have had the same problems and yet some have not. Does that mean there are lemons out there? Maybe, if so I got one. :nah:

• Informative
Reactions: AXIOM_1

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I have nothing to add to what AXIOM_1. But I'd like to know why you say the Aspire Zelos is crap. When I first started looking for a box mod a month and a half ago, the Zelos was one of the first I considered (before registering here, in fact). I dismissed it because I read the Nautilus tank must be emptied before the coil can be changed (although I've since learned there are ways around that) and because I didn't want an internal battery. Then I ended up getting the Kroma-A, despite its battery, because it came with the Zenith tank. What bullet did I dodge by deciding against the Zelos?

I've had mine for over a year, I think, and it was a nice move up from my Isticks. The only probs I had was that it auto-fired with the Zenith a couple times. In the end, I gave up because the fire button wasn't where my finger naturally reached for. Well, I had also gotten the evic fit which is awesome sauce.

Today, I needed to fix a bowing shelf in our closet and it made a perfect wedge. Nice ending.

It would probably serve most folks well. No real regrets here.

Reactions: AXIOM_1

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The Aspire Zelos with a Nautilus 2 tank first and foremost leaks - at times. It is very finicky on this matter.
    1.) When filling the tank, IF you are lucky enough NOT to have the tank come off with the top (doesn't always happen), when you put the top back on, you have to turn the mod upside down to finish the last twist or so (supposedly helps remove excess air and reduces leakage and gurgling - NOT).
    2.) Then, you have to let it sit for at least 5 minutes before attempting to use it (let juice into the coil).
    3.) And, then it needs to have the air holes opened up fully and to blow through it (again, I guess to get rid of air - WTFK).
    4.) Then, EVERY TIME, I use it I have to suck on it at least 20 puffs to get vapor.

After that it's all good - until you have to add juice or replace coil. LOL!!:glare:

I know others have had the same problems and yet some have not. Does that mean there are lemons out there? Maybe, if so I got one. :nah:
    So in reality you were having issues with the tank, not the mod. Never mind. :rolleyes:

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    So in reality you were having issues with the tank, not the mod. Never mind. :rolleyes:
    Huh? Yes, I guess. But, "Never mind", Including eye rolling, is not really very helpful. And, besides, how do I know it isn't the construction of the entire kit???? After all, it is supposed to fit the mod.

Sorry, I don't match your level of sophistication on vaping. Just trying to learn here...

Last edited:
    • Winner
    Reactions: United States

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Huh? Yes, I guess. But, "Never mind", Including eye rolling, is not really very helpful. And, besides, how do I know it isn't the construction of the entire kit???? After all, it is supposed to fit the mod.

Sorry, I don't match your level of sophistication on vaping. Just trying to learn here...
    Excuse my sarcasm above. That was uncalled for. :blush:

Your mod is only a battery power source. Your tank is what holds the liquid and makes the vape. All mods and tanks use a common industry-wide 510 connection. Just because the tank "fits" the mod doesn't mean you couldn't use a different tank if it doesn't meet your expectations. So in effect, you could continue to use your mod (if you like it) ... just get a different tank.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    Thanks for that. I get what you are saying, but I am thinking the premise (from my very limited knowledge) is wrong. To me, no matter what tank you put on that specific mod, because of the set up in general - wouldn't it work pretty much the same - no? I might just try another tank, and not give up on the mod itself, if there were one that worked differently. Again, from my limited experience, I haven't seen one...

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Thanks for that. I get what you are saying, but I am thinking the premise (from my very limited knowledge) is wrong. To me, no matter what tank you put on that specific mod, because of the set up in general - wouldn't it work pretty much the same - no? I might just try another tank, and not give up on the mod itself, if there were one that worked differently. Again, from my limited experience, I haven't seen one...
    Well, its always a good idea to have a back up setup.

Most mods are not ALL that different from one another. Different form factors, sitting in the hand a little differently; some are more robustly made than others for added durability, some use internal batteries while others use external batteries; some put out more wattage than others; some use better chip sets than others. It all depends upon what works out best for you and your budget.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    No, all of that stuff lies with the tank, not the mod. Also, a few of the issues you describe like sitting for five minutes before use is a requirement of every drop in coil tank. Priming and breaking in a coil is necessary to get good performance and decent coil life.

Now I get the design of the N2 had refill issues that were annoying despite being an "improved top fill system". You could easily keep the battery part and buy a Zenith tank and get all the benefits without spending money on a new mod itself, unless you want an extra for backup.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    You could easily keep the battery part and buy a Zenith tank and get all the benefits without spending money on a new mod itself, unless you want an extra for backup.
    Thanks, I will look into a different tank. From all that I have heard, a backup is a good thing. So, Innokin kit has been ordered, and now I will look into different tanks that will fit the Aspire Zelos. Both are internal battery mods, but for my level of experience, that is probably OK.

Reactions: Eskie

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    In reality, the juice attachment (tank) is more important than the battery device used. It is what actually produces the vapor.

You'll need to learn the difference between a MTL (mouth to lung) tank and a DTL (direct to lung) tank. And then there are sub-ohm tanks, which are usually DTL tanks. The most important factors in choosing a tank are MTL/DTL type of draw, air flow options, top or bottom fill, liquid capacity, and the type of coils it uses.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA

You will like the Zenith. Easy top fill. Easy coil changes. No leaking (for me, thus far, anyway). It's the only tank I've used, but it's all I need.

Of course, I plan to get a Nautilus 2s (probably, eventually), because I like the way it looks. But that's shinyitis talking, not need.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    In reality, the juice attachment (tank) is more important than the battery device used. It is what actually produces the vapor. You'll need to learn the difference between a MTL (mouth to lung) tank and a DTL (direct to lung) tank. And then there are sub-ohm tanks, which are usually DTL tanks. The most important factors in choosing a tank are MTL/DTL type of draw, air flow options, top or bottom fill, liquid capacity, and the type of coils it uses.

Will go with MTL - long term smoker, trying to shake the habit. Air flow, want one with options because that helps with vapor quantity, and I want as much as I can get. Already had a bottom fill - hated it. Coils, gotta long way to go on that one yet. Like more liquid capacity - hence the Innokin.

I haven't 'been around the block' a lot of times, but a few anyway.

Reactions: Eskie

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    If the N2 tank is the problem that I have been experiencing, and from comments here it sounds like it is - GO another tank route.

Yes, get another tank …. However, since you ordered the Kroma kit you have nothing to worry about since both the tank and mod are great in that kit... However, if you get another tank, then you will have a working back-up unit just in case something ever happens to the Kroma.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread