Lab Equipment: Must Have's and Gimicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
Hi there, I'm about to make a rather large order to start up my e-juice mixing lab and I was wondering, what do I REALLY need, now, I really want a Nitecore e-liquid Mixer NFF01, but I know I don't need it, not untill I get really good at making juice and am starting to make bigger quantities.
I also ordered 25 10ml bottles, so I can make 5-7ml test batches to save on wastage, for that I ordered a proper scale and some 1ml syringes, to help with the small quantities I'll be working with.
But what else would be your ESSENTIAL pieces of lab equipment for a first time buyer and starter e-juice maker?
Wer're gonna have some fun with this thread, I can see it already, we're gonna get our vape geekness on!! :w00t:;):lol::banana:

Dunder Mifflin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
California
I make my own bottle boxes from craft boxes and sheetrock corner bead and elastic cord. The corner bead and elastic cords hold the bottles at an angle to be able to read the labels. I'm up to 14 Flavor boxes...Lol

14064084_10209043401355079_4154748054108306674_n.jpg

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Essential? To me; that means:
Ingredients:
-- PG
-- VG
--Nicotine
(first three can be in combination, or separate ingredients)
-- One or more flavor concentrates

A means to measure ingredients:
-- Small assortment of syringes and blunt-tipped needles
or
-- A scale that has 0.01g resolution
----- if using a scale, without syringes, may need an additional means of dispensing concentrates that don't come in dropper-tipped bottles. Disposable/reusable pipettes, syringes, disposable/reusable eye droppers, or extra dropper-tipped bottles all solve the problem.

Something to mix ingredients in:
-- Can be re-purposed bottles from commercially bought e-liquids
and/or
-- New bottles

A means to calculate the amount of ingredients to use:
-- Paper and pencil
or
-- Pocket calculator
or
-- E-liquid calculator (can be on-line, or down-loadable)

A work area that provides ample room to work, and is safely away from children, pets, and distractions... preferably with running water handy.

Time

Trying to mix, when one is in a rush, is a recipe for only failure. Time is also an e-liquid recipe's best/most consistent ally.

A reasonable supply of ready-to-vape e-liquid on hand:
The panic, and rush, to get something vapeable "right now;" can cause a mixer to cut corners, forget steps and/or ingredients, and be forced to vape unvapeable e-liquid. Having an adequate supply of juice, that is enjoyable to vape (commercial, and/or previous DIY), removes this added pressure to succeed immediately.

A means to record your work:

-- Paper and pencil
-- Spreadsheet/word processing software
-- (within) Certain e-liquid calculators
The manner of recording notes doesn't matter. What matters, is that it is something the user will use, and then uses it. Notes are essential for recording recipe ideas, what does/doesn't work, and what might want to be done differently next time.

Nothing is more heartbreaking than to mix up the genuine "perfect mix," only to not remember what was done, and never be able to repeat it. Notes are also a good tool to avoid repeating past mistakes. :)

That's my list of essentials. For me, everything else becomes a matter of convenience. As an old(er) guy, with crappy eyes and shaky hands; I do find the following nearly essential.
-- A digital scale became essential for me; because I couldn't see the tiny graduation marks on the smaller syringes.
-- A secondary large-mouthed primary mixing vessel (beakers, in my case); because my shaky hands kept missing the tiny-mouthed e-liquid bottles.
-- A small funnel to transfer my mixes from the beakers to the bottles; again, shaky hands.
-- A small hobby paint mixer; because I am lazy, and hated shaking all the bottles.

I have tried a bunch of additional tools, tricks, and and gimmicks; but none have lasted the long haul, for me. Others, I'm sure, have had different experiences; and those are every bit as valid, as my own.

That is the beauty of DIY; taking a basic process, and making it your own. Successful mixers, that I have known, all have a few things in common:
-- they find a way to keep it fun, so they want to keep doing it.
-- they are willing to fail. Mixing a bad batch (or 3, or 10) is not the end of the world. They keep trying different things.
-- they are willing to learn from their mistakes. They don't say this tastes nasty and give up. Instead, they try to figure out why it tastes nasty. Instead of looking at a bad batch as a failure; they are more likely to look at it as a puzzle to be figured out. For some, it can even be a motivator.

Those who most commonly fail as DIYers are:
-- The ones that have no time (family, commitments, good old "life"). (This is no fault of the individual; it just isn't the right time to embark on DIY.)
-- Those who don't have the have the patience to learn from their mistakes; and change their thinking and processes. The "Veruca Salt's" of the world generally don't do well with DIY. (Everybody sing "I want it now!")
-- Those who "know it all". Those who think they have it all figured out... before they ever start mixing. These folks tend to think in terms of "this is how it should be," instead of thinking "this is how it is... what do I do next?" They will blame everything but themselves and their understanding and expectations; and usually give up out of frustration.
-- Those expecting to be professionally successful/profitable mixers right out of the gate. Unless they are living in a part of the world, that bans access to commercial completion, that is unlikely to happen. They don't understand the time, effort, and experience required, to turn out consistently good juice.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
That statement is your personal opinion...not a fact. I've found that it helps DIY newbies distinguish between the 2... if "IMO", or "from my own experience", or "to me" are used somewhere in statements like that. There are many of us who measure by volume and don't find it to be wasteful, messy, nor inaccurate except in large batches when we already know what we're doing. ;)

Everything I post is implicitly a personal opinion. Volumetric measuring leaves ingredient residue on all of the glassware which necessitates cleanup and means less of the good stuff in your bottle. VG in particular coats the surface of graduated cylinders and must be scraped off, which I consider messy.

IMHO, you can measure accurately using either method. Its all in what comes more natural to you.

I have scales accurate to .001g, but I find them a pain to mix with as I tend to over dispense when adding by the drop or squirt. Not to mention having to figure out (and keep track of) the drops/ml for every one of my couple dozen flavor bottles. I have trusted friends that swear by gravimetric though. Using syringes and bottles to dispense into a beaker or bottle just comes more natural to me.

A few tricks to volumetric mixing.
  • Know what a meniscus is
  • Try to use the smallest syringe that can dispense the total volume of your ingredient in one measurement. For example, if you need to dispense 18ml then use a 20ml syringe vs a 10ml. Having to make 2 measurements doubles the possibility of error.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I bought chubbies in several sizes up to 100mL without realizing what they were intended for. These are the same bottles that vape stores use for their professional e-juice. Once the top is screwed on it locks in place and it's impossible to get off to refill without destroying the bottle. The actual material is incidental.
You can get the tips off with patience and a thin knife blade. Used to have to do this to add nic to them.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I bought chubbies in several sizes up to 100mL without realizing what they were intended for. These are the same bottles that vape stores use for their professional e-juice. Once the top is screwed on it locks in place and it's impossible to get off to refill without destroying the bottle. The actual material is incidental.

I reuse my authentic chubby gorilla 50ml bottles all the time - a lil flat head screwdriver (doesn't have to be blue ;)) under the nozzle cap (above the threads), and they flip right off.

I'm not sure though, if they are the same as what you are talking about however. Mine just came full of commercial juice, so I saved them for diy.

Everyone has forgotten the most important thing that you will need:

High Tech Labels

I use this:
    label.jpg

And this:
    sharpie.jpg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    BTW, to the original poster. Those magnetic stirrers, I own two lab quality ones..
    They are a gimmick, sooooo not need to mix juice. Even if you are doing 10 gallons at a time I still would not use these.

Many people, myself included in my early DIY days, over-complicate what it essentially a very simple process.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Storage, Storage, Storage. So many flavorings. Since the op is just beginning, might I suggest to organize your flavorings now before it gets out of hand.
    Also, store your nic safely away from kids, pets.
    I mix by weight. I use Ketchup and Mustard squeeze bottles for my PG/VG.
    I also like to use a mini funnel when mixing. No more aiming at that tiny opening.

Since we're on the subject of fingernails - someone in the DIY forum came up with the. brilliant idea of using these to store your flavours in. You can fit a 30ml bottle in each slot, or two 15ml bottles:

Lumcrissy Portable Nail Polish Organizer

mystash.jpg

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Volumetric measuring is wasteful, messy, an inaccurate except in large batches when you already know what you're doing.

That statement is your personal opinion...not a fact. I've found that it helps DIY newbies distinguish between the 2... if "IMO", or "from my own experience", or "to me" are used somewhere in statements like that. There are many of us who measure by volume and don't find it to be wasteful, messy, nor inaccurate except in large batches when we already know what we're doing. ;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Storage, Storage, Storage. So many flavorings. Since the op is just beginning, might I suggest to organize your flavorings now before it gets out of hand.
    Also, store your nic safely away from kids, pets.
    I mix by weight. I use Ketchup and Mustard squeeze bottles for my PG/VG.
    I also like to use a mini funnel when mixing. No more aiming at that tiny opening.
    I started using beakers to mix, bought cheap ones on amazon. So much easier, I just rinse with hot water; worth every penny.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    A word about syringes with blunt tip needles. Some of those needles are as large as 16 gauge and are almost 2 inches long. That's great for getting down in deep bottles but you have to take that amount of Nicotine PG VG or flavorings into account when you mix because that won't be included on your graduation marks on the syringe. Especially with Nicotine, you could overdo it by mis-measuring if mixing small batches. For a more exact measurement always clear your needle and or unscrew it before transferring liquids. It might be the thing that makes or breaks your batch.
    I respectfully disagree with the portion of your statement which I underlined above.
    The only time any size needle becomes problematic; is when the syringe is misused. Misuse, in this case, is double (or more) pumping the plunger of the syringe (usually to clear the excess liquid; and thereby causing the erroneous measurement). The extra volume, that is introduced by the addition of the needle's own volume, is a zero sum result. Yes, there is extra fluid in the needle; but that extra fluid remains in the needle (as well as the tip) after the first depression of the plunger, and does not create an over-pour.

If the DIYer wants to reclaim the residual fluid left in the needle (after dispensing the measured amount); double pump the syringe back into the original concentrate bottle... not into the current recipe batch.

Where needles can cause problems, if the DIYer is not paying attention, is by introducing air bubbles into the syringe. If these air bubbles are not removed before measuring and dispensing; they will create under-pour situation. To be as precise as the syringe is capable of (syringes, just like scales, have defined acceptable +/- tolerance ranges); the bubble(s) should first be removed, and then measure and dispense the desired volume.

BTW: I struggled with the idea of what impact the needle does/doesn't have regarding measuring too. It wasn't until I spoke with a friend, who is a registered nurse, that I was finally able to get my head wrapped around it. :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Pre-mixing your bases saves so much time and cleanup. I mix mine and Meg's salts base up in 600ml batches in these bottles. That leaves plenty of head room for a good shake. They do have some cheaper but these do not leak, been using the same 3 for close to year and zero problems. I give them a hot water rinse every 3 batches.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sque...d=1564167491&s=gateway&sprefix=Oaklyn+&sr=8-6

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Luer-Lok Syringes can be found cheap, about 10 cents each, at Veterinarian supply stores. Pretty much makes them disposable. I bought a box of each of several sizes.
    upload_2019-7-26_8-52-22.png

These Luer-Lok tips are very cheap on FT and are great. They fit Luer-Lok Syringes and bottles. You can get them in various sizes, get the small ones for thin liquids and cut the tip back for heavy viscosity liquids like VG.
    upload_2019-7-26_8-42-54.png

These 118ml bottles (other sizes available) accept standard Luer-Lok tips and needles and are perfect for dispensing VG and PG. Or a Master Batch of unflavored nic. I vape 36mgl, so I make a Master Batch of unflavored 50/50 PG/VG 40mgl and then I know I can add ~10% flavoring and hit my desired strength. Add 1ml of flavor to a 10ml bottle and fill it up with my Master Batch, easy peazy.....
    (Click pic for link)
    upload_2019-7-26_8-45-40.png

These Luer Lok caps make it easy to cap off your bottles when not in use.
    (Click pic for link)
    upload_2019-7-26_9-8-40.png

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Volumetric measuring leaves ingredient residue on all of the glassware which necessitates cleanup and means less of the good stuff in your bottle. VG in particular coats the surface of graduated cylinders and must be scraped off, which I consider messy.
    I measure out VG first, then use the same graduated cylinder to measure PG, which will happily pick up the residual VG that stuck in the cylinder.

A 250ml graduated cylinder is the one and only piece of "lab equipment" I use for mixing. But I use very little flavoring and just measure it by the drop, and I understand that may not work for everyone.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    But why would you intentionally use bottles that require a screwdriver or knife to open when there are better alternatives?
    I wouldnt, the bottles I shared are as low as 15 cents ea on eBay as @Letitia pointed out.
    No screwdriver needed, just your fingernail.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread