Lab Equipment: Must Have's and Gimicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Not sure exactly which part of my post you disagree with, but...if this part of your response is true...

Everything I post is implicitly a personal opinion.

your disagreement can't be with this part of my post:
That statement is your personal opinion...not a fact.

I can't see how you could be in disagreement about this part:
There are many of us who measure by volume and don't find it to be wasteful, messy, nor inaccurate except in large batches when we already know what we're doing.

because there really are many of us who feel that way, or we wouldn't be measuring by volume.

So, it must be the middle statement I made. However, I have actually had several DIY newbies tell me that it's often hard to distinguish someone's opinion from fact, in posts about DIY. They get somewhat confused at times as to what to believe. That's the reason I made that statement.

ETA: It's all good though. I'm well past letting Disagree ratings bother me. I just like to understand what someone disagreed with, is all. Never hurts to gain insight into the thinking of others, IMO.

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Not sure exactly which part of my post you disagree with, but...if this part of your response is true...

your disagreement can't be with this part of my post:

I can't see how you could be in disagreement about this part:

because there really are many of us who feel that way, or we wouldn't be measuring by volume.

So, it must be the middle statement I made. However, I have actually had several DIY newbies tell me that it's often hard to distinguish someone's opinion from fact, in posts about DIY. They get somewhat confused at times as to what to believe. That's the reason I made that statement.

ETA: It's all good though. I'm well past letting Disagree ratings bother me. I just like to understand what someone disagreed with, is all. Never hurts to gain insight into the thinking of others, IMO.
That was a vengeful Disagree for having the temerity to quibble over some trivial detail of my fine effortpost without also taking the time to compliment it. I will concede that accuracy is not particularly crucial, so losses to the measuring equipment in volumetric mixing may be disregarded without incurring disaster.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi there, I'm about to make a rather large order to start up my e-juice mixing lab and I was wondering, what do I REALLY need, now, I really want a Nitecore e-liquid Mixer NFF01, but I know I don't need it, not untill I get really good at making juice and am starting to make bigger quantities.
I also ordered 25 10ml bottles, so I can make 5-7ml test batches to save on wastage, for that I ordered a proper scale and some 1ml syringes, to help with the small quantities I'll be working with.
But what else would be your ESSENTIAL pieces of lab equipment for a first time buyer and starter e-juice maker?
Wer're gonna have some fun with this thread, I can see it already, we're gonna get our vape geekness on!! :w00t:;):lol::banana:

You have gotten some Very Good advise already. As well as a Little Drama. LOL

But I am Very Surprised no one has mentioned getting a Lab Coat?

08W2303B.JPG

They really Don't do all that much for protection. But the Geek Factor is Off the Charts.

No Self-Respecting DIYer should be without one.

Not sure I would Answer the Door while you are wearing it with an Erlenmeyer Flask in your hand? Especially if Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne is playing in the background.

But that is up to You.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
You have gotten some Very Good advise already. As well as a Little Drama. LOL

But I am Very Surprised no one has mentioned getting a Lab Coat?

08W2303B.JPG

They really Don't do all that much for protection. But the Geek Factor is Off the Charts.

No Self-Respecting DIYer should be without one.

Not sure I would Answer the Door while you are wearing it with an Erlenmeyer Flask in your hand? Especially if Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne is playing in the background.

But that is up to You.

I do have a lab coat and so much more. This is a picture of me correcting a mixing mistake.
_0005_Water%20Content%20&%20Moisture%20Content%20Testing.jpg

I am using a pair of tweezers to carefully remove custard flavor molecules after an over pour. It's why I PERSONALLY feel a microscope is essential. I think it's also important to point out the size of my gloves.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
-Avoid "chubby gorilla" bottles as these cannot be reused.-
@GOMuniEsq actually they make up to 60ml chubbies in ldpe. I don't think they all are, but I have seen them for sale.
I bought chubbies in several sizes up to 100mL without realizing what they were intended for. These are the same bottles that vape stores use for their professional e-juice. Once the top is screwed on it locks in place and it's impossible to get off to refill without destroying the bottle. The actual material is incidental.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Volumetric measuring leaves ingredient residue on all of the glassware which necessitates cleanup and means less of the good stuff in your bottle. VG in particular coats the surface of graduated cylinders and must be scraped off, which I consider messy.
I measure out VG first, then use the same graduated cylinder to measure PG, which will happily pick up the residual VG that stuck in the cylinder.

A 250ml graduated cylinder is the one and only piece of "lab equipment" I use for mixing. But I use very little flavoring and just measure it by the drop, and I understand that may not work for everyone.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I measure out VG first, then use the same graduated cylinder to measure PG, which will happily pick up the residual VG that stuck in the cylinder.

A 250ml graduated cylinder is the one and only piece of "lab equipment" I use for mixing. But I use very little flavoring and just measure it by the drop, and I understand that may not work for everyone.
Right on! Before I discovered mixing by weight I used to "lubricate" my cylinder by doing the PG first, so that I'd have an easier time getting the VG out. Your technique sounds far more effective.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
-Avoid "chubby gorilla" bottles as these cannot be reused.-
@GOMuniEsq actually they make up to 60ml chubbies in ldpe. I don't think they all are, but I have seen them for sale.
You can rinse and reuse ldpe. Though I can unfortunately confirm that they aren't good for transferring concentrates into. Stick with PET or glass for those. I have found that I prefer dropperbottles.com ldpe unicorn bottles over the chubby brand though.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I bought chubbies in several sizes up to 100mL without realizing what they were intended for. These are the same bottles that vape stores use for their professional e-juice. Once the top is screwed on it locks in place and it's impossible to get off to refill without destroying the bottle. The actual material is incidental.
You can get the tips off with patience and a thin knife blade. Used to have to do this to add nic to them.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
actually they make up to 60ml chubbies in ldpe. I don't think they all are, but I have seen them for sale.

Yep. Just helped a friend's husband start DIY 2 weekends ago. He had several of them he'd gotten eliquid in from a local vape shop. He washed and reused 2 of them for some DIY he made.

Just a few places they're sold are: liquidbottles.com, heartlandvapes.com, bullcityflavors.com and also on Amazon.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I reuse my authentic chubby gorilla 50ml bottles all the time - a lil flat head screwdriver (doesn't have to be blue ;)) under the nozzle cap (above the threads), and they flip right off.

I'm not sure though, if they are the same as what you are talking about however. Mine just came full of commercial juice, so I saved them for diy.

Everyone has forgotten the most important thing that you will need:

High Tech Labels

I use this:
    label.jpg

And this:
    sharpie.jpg

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Status