Labubs Looks Over: The FreeMax Twister 30w Kit, with Fireluke 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
Introduction and Overview
What's up all, back again with another review on another great kit from FreeMax, the Twister 30w with the new Fireluke 22 sub-ohm tank. This is a kit that has something for almost everyone, for the beginner who doesn't know what their style of vaping is yet, for the higher resistance build old-timer, for those who prefer Mouth to Lung or Direct to Lung (or Restricted Lung, even). The younger siblings to the Twister 80w and the Fireluke tanks, the FreeMax Twister 30w and Fireluke 22 are a good regulated VW tube mod and a great 22mm multi-purpose tank. Let's get into the nitty gritty below.

(Disclaimers at bottom)

Product Pages:

FreeMax Twister 30w Unveiling

------------

Album link, though I'll be linking relevant images throughout the review-

------------

Manufacturer Specifications
FreeMax Twister 30w

• Dimensions: 78.3mm (h) x 22mm (w)

• 1400mAh Battery w/ 1.5a Fast Charge

• Output Wattage Range: 7.5-30W

• Output Voltage Range: 1.9-7.5V

• Max. Output Current: 8A

• Resistance Range: 0.5-3.0ohm

• Short-Circuit Protection

• Over-Heat Protection

• Low Voltage Protection

• Over-Discharge Protection

• Overcharge Protection

• Over-Time Protection

• MicroUSB Port

• Threaded 510 Connection
Freemax Fireluke 22 Tank Features:

• 22mm Diameter

• 3.5mL Bubble Glass Capacity (Pre-Installed)

• 2mL Replacement Glass Capacity (In Box)

• Sliding Top Fill System - Single Fill Port

• Freemax FM CoilTech 4.0 Series

• 0.5ohm Single DTL Mesh Coil - rated for 15-30W (Pre-Installed)

• 1.0ohm Single MTL Mesh Coil - rated for 10-15W (Available Separately)

• 1.5ohm Single MTL Mesh Coil - rated for 8-12W (In box)

• Press-Fit Coil Installation

• Tea Fiber Cotton Wicking Medium

• Includes Two (2) Drip Tips, one for DTL, one for MTL

First Impressions
The kit comes in your typical sleeved box, with the color you chose displayed on the front. Small touch (and one I noticed with the Maxus kits as well), but it's the little details like that that tell you that the company puts the effort in. Opening the kit up, you have the device, tank with DTL coil, DTL drip tip, and bubble glass pre-installed; with the straight glass, MTL coil, MTL drip tip, USB cable, spare O-Ring Pack, and Manual/Standard QC check card included in the packaging. First thoughts were on size, it's a great little 22mm tube mod, and only a bit taller than an 18650 or 21700 battery. Second thoughts were on the drip tips, I absolutely adore both of them. The Resin looks great, feels great, and both have the appropriate bore sizes for what they're meant for. The airflow control has a pretty unique design, utilizing the same holes for DTL and MTL, (seen here on the wide-open DTL setting), with a small hole on the opposite side of the AFC ring when adjusting for MTL.

The tube is all-metal construction and utilizes Micro-USB for charging the 1400mah battery. I would have liked to see USB-C here, particularly with the 1.5a fast charge, internal battery, and because the company utilized USB-C on their previous 3 devices. Micro-USB is just a bit fragile in my experience with older mods, though I haven't had an issue here yet. That said, the device does charge from fully depleted to full charge in just around one hour using a typical Samsung phone power block.

It's a great little battery for stealth/out and about, and other 22mm attys look and feel great on it as well (Here's a Tripod on it as an example, using the DTL drip tip....that tip now lives on that RTA haha, as I said, they feel great). So, for those of you who like MTL or Restricted Lung RTAs/RDAs, can build above 0.5 ohms and get the vape you enjoy at or below 30w (or 7.5v, if you know what you're doing), it's worth looking into as a nice little pocket battery!

The Fireluke 22mm is a great little tank, no surprise there with FreeMax's absolute expertise with sub-ohm tanks and coils. The flavor and draw from both coils are absolutely superb, particularly the DTL coil (airflow closed down to a 2 or 3 hole Restricted Lung for me), though that's just my style of vaping. The MTL coil and airflow are true MTL, very reminiscent of the old Protank coils, but much higher quality and using mesh instead of the round wire builds of the old Kanger heads. Both coil types use the new Coiltech 4.0 style SS904L Mesh with Tea Fiber/Organic Cotton as the Fireluke 2 and M Pro 2 coils, and as with those, I've never had flavor as good as this out of pre-made coil heads of this size. Here's a little 'exploded' view of the tank to help picture this: Coils are plugged into a sleeve inside the tank, and when removed, they close off the juice ports. This is a FANTASTIC feature for a tank using factory heads, as you can swap them out with a full tank of juice. There's also a child safety feature of sorts built into the fill port, you have to lift the knurled section before pushing the cap back to fill, which I found to be a thoughtful idea.

Build Quality
USB preference aside, the device is put together well, and looks great with the included tank, I love the stainless accents on the bottom twist control and between the different sections on the tank. Button is responsive and clicky, as is the wattage adjustment. It's a nice looking, nice feeling, 22mm tube mod. Quality is good, as expected from this kind of device.

Functionality and Performance
Very simple. 0.5ohm minimum resistance. Wattage starts at 7.5w, ends at 30w, and is 'officially' adjustable in 2.5 watt increments, with reference numbers at every 5 watt increment, or every two clicks. I say 'officially' that way because while it does click in at 2.5w, stopping between clicks does give roughly the correct power, tested on a voltage/ohm reader with the 1.5 ohm coil installed. I suspect these 'unofficial' settings in between each 2.5w step is where that '90% Power Efficiency' listing on a few of the product pages I saw the kit on came from. I also love that the device can do 7.5v. That's a big deal for those who will use RTAs, the 1.5 ohm head, and I suspect especially the 1.0ohm coils....not something you see every day in these kinds of tube mods. You probably don't want to try running the MTLs at 30w/6.7v though haha, but it's nice to know the tube can push it if you want. Battery power is shown by the typical tri-color LED, Green above 70%, Blue 30%-60%, Red under 30%. Flashes red when battery is dead, or when a protection is kicking in. There's not much else to say here, it's a great stealthy 22mm battery for higher resistance builds, does 7.5v for more advanced users while being a great starter kit for beginners who may not know what their style of vaping is yet.

Fireluke 22
Fantastic. Really, as someone who really, really, really doesn't use sub-ohm tanks very much in favor of squonk setups or RTAs, FreeMax has continuously impressed me with their tanks and coils. I've already covered most of the features of the tank above, but the juice cutoff to allow for coil swapping with full tanks, the aesthetic (especially while on the Twister), and most importantly, the performance (in both MTL and DTL) are all just great. Do keep in mind it's 22mm, so the DTL is a bit closer to very loose Restricted Lung than something like the M Pro 2, but that's to be expected. It is still DTL wide open, but if you're coming from a 28mm fog machine, you may disagree. If you're coming from generally MTL to Restricted Lung as I do, wide open is too open.

I just can't stress enough how good of a tank this is for someone new to vaping, or maybe the vaper who's just moving up to tanks from pods and might not know what kind of draw they're going to prefer. Including both DTL and MTL coils in the kit was clutch, and I'm pretty curious to check out the 1.0 ohm ones as well. I prefer the look of the straight glass personally, though the bubble glass is definitely welcome when using the DTL coil.

In Conclusion
Great little kit for vapers of all experience levels. A fantastic premade coil head tank for users who may not know their preference yet, with some nice features 'under-the-hood' for more advanced users as well. If you're looking for something stealthy, regulated, and adjustable that isn't just another pod kit, you can't really go wrong. USB-C would have been welcome, but overall, it's a recommend from me!

Pros

• Great stealthy form factor

• Device can be more advanced than it first seems, while staying very easily accessible to newer users

• Excellent tank

• Great drip tips (sorry, I get super excited about drip tips, they're an often-overlooked factor in flavor, and this came with TWO I'll use regularly! ^_^)

• Quick charge (~45 min from fully depleted plugged into a typical US cell phone block)
Neutral

• Twister branding on the tube itself, though it's barely visible on the black
Cons

• Micro-USB instead of USB-C, I put this in cons instead of neutral because FreeMax did incorporate USB-C on previous releases this summer, though those also were fully chipped, screened, and box form mods, so it can be given a bit of a pass considering the stealth tube form factor
Overall: 7.8/10

I'm going 7.8 instead of 8 because of Micro-USB vs. USB-C on an internal battery mod. I'd like to see Micro-USB phased out as a whole on regulated devices (talking industry-wide here). It's the single most common point of failure on devices as a whole, though as long as you're careful while the charge cable is in, it will be fine.

Otherwise, it's a great kit for all types of vapers, and it's the little things, especially being able to output 7.5v, really make it. That power output opens up a whole bunch more opportunities for those of us who will mainly be using the tube, it really spreads that 30w much further than it first seems. The tank is great for the beginner or pod user making their first foray into tanks, and enjoyable to long time vapers as well. All of these new Coiltech 4.0 Mesh/Tea Fiber/Organic Cotton coils in FreeMax's newer tanks are just incredible, past what I thought possible for pre-made heads. As I said before, I definitely recommend this kit to newer vapers, people making the switch from pods, or advanced users who want a 22mm, stealthy tube mod for their RTAs!

(Disclaimer: These kits were sent to me by FreeMax for the purposes of this review, though that has zero influence on the review itself. I spend at least one, usually just about two weeks using all products I review to really get a feel for how they perform and if there are any issues that may not be immediately obvious. Ratings are calculated in context to the type of device being used.)

Previous Reviews
The Famovape Magma 200w Box Mod

Taifun GTR ('Typhoon' GTR) (ULTON Clone)

Satburn 18350/18500/14500/18650 Mech Mod (ULTON Clone)

Atmizoo Tripod RTA (ULTON Clone)

FreeMax Maxus 100w and 200w Kits, with Fireluke 2 and M Pro 2 Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread