Languge Barrier help! Vietnam

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
This colleague of mine, he's from Vietnam. He smokes medium to heavy, depends on reader opinion. I personally smoke 1.5 packs a day before I switched. While our subject he, smokes half, to one pack a day he says. Maybe depending on the day, like weekends or workdays. Anyways, he's been watching me vaping around our site for more than a year now. Then he approached me today to help him buy his first vape.

I forgot to mention, we can't communicate very well. We are in Taiwan, I am born and raised in the Philippines, half Chinese that now migrated here. I speak English, Chinese and Tagalog. While he only speaks Vietnam and 'some Chinese' It's only like simple yes, no. A few hand signals almost like playing a pantomime. I tried to express my concerns as much as I can and even offered him mtl and DL stuff using internet pages to show what I mean. He ended up buying what I have, only in a different color. It's an OBS cube! Not bad IMO! But the rabbit hole he's getting into. I cannot explain to him. The juice, replacement coils all and all that you cannot learn overnight. :confused:

It's okay to me if he will depend on me for his first week maybe, but I really need to find a Vietnamese vaping forum for him to join and learn from, if one even exist. :( He needs to learn on his own IMO. I never even offered and asked for them to switch. It's his own decision, but he can't be under my wings forever.

I am putting this out hoping we may have a Vietnamese reader who can help me. I'm not expecting to get an answer overnight. But I really wish we have someone in this forum who's from that region.

Thanks for reading! Wish me, and my colleague some luck!

Cheers all!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No Vietnamese subforum here, unfortunaely; besides, most of those forums have been very quiet lately.

National Forums

So unless we have a Vietnamese-speaking member here, I'm not sure how we can help. Google translate is the only thing I can think of.

Oh, and good luck! :)

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
while he may not be able to understand, you could try and show him some videos about what he bought....he can watch them and learn

a bit ot but when i worked at my daughter's school we had a kid that moved here and didn't speak english my daughter sat with him at lunch and used a translator so they could text on her phone to talk, it's not perfect but might help, try to write out some instructions and translate them for him

and yes unfortunately the national forums are quite dead.... *giggles and waves @Katya *

even directing him here to ECF, most computers have auto translate (again not perfect but helpful)

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Hi F-Machine. I completely agree with the YouTube ssuggestion.You considered that this person switched over to vaping ALSO (and not only) because he saw you doing that. I understand that maybe puts more pressure on you than you would like. It might also mean your colleagues isn't unable to find the information by himself, but simply prefers hearing it from you. For me, it shows your colleague might have some respect for you. If you do not want to be involved in his vaping journey, that might deserve a careful conversation all by itself. Wishing you both the best of luck!

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Hi F-Machine. I completely agree with the YouTube ssuggestion.You considered that this person switched over to vaping ALSO (and not only) because he saw you doing that. I understand that maybe puts more pressure on you than you would like. It might also mean your colleagues isn't unable to find the information by himself, but simply prefers hearing it from you. For me, it shows your colleague might have some respect for you. If you do not want to be involved in his vaping journey, that might deserve a careful conversation all by itself. Wishing you both the best of luck!

That youtube suggestions, from many readers, is really good! I have added him in this messaging app(LINE) and I think I can send him links to youtube there.

Good thinking all you guys!

Last edited:

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I must thank you all! He seems satisfied and knows a thing or two now. He knows his coils won't last forever and how much to replace them. I guess I'm just too worried. Of course, I don't want to be liable if even if his satisfaction is not met, or anything worst and unspeakable, you know... But anyways... I wish to show you guys the video I sent to him. I kinda laughed while watching and I don't know if it's even funny. But the fact that I watched a whole video that I don't even understand is funny enough for me. I want to know if you guys will even watch this, but here it is anyways.

I helped him get an OBS cube, so I looked and found a video to match and when he received his stash, he immediately knows what to do and showed me he can do it. Again, thank you all for helping me find a way! He should be able to look for what he needs without me after this. Cheers all!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I must thank you all! He seems satisfied and knows a thing or two now. He knows his coils won't last forever and how much to replace them. I guess I'm just too worried. Of course, I don't want to be liable if even if his satisfaction is not met, or anything worst and unspeakable, you know... But anyways... I wish to show you guys the video I sent to him. I kinda laughed while watching and I don't know if it's even funny. But the fact that I watched a whole video that I don't even understand is funny enough for me. I want to know if you guys will even watch this, but here it is anyways.

I helped him get an OBS cube, so I looked and found a video to match and when he received his stash, he immediately knows what to do and showed me he can do it. Again, thank you all for helping me find a way! He should be able to look for what he needs without me after this. Cheers all!

Glad to hear this has worked out for your friend. Good on you for helping him out.

• Love
Reactions: F-machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread