Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I just received the following email from Eciggity, a local vendor:

Hawaii Residents!
THE HAWAII VAPOR INDUSTRY IS IN DANGER AND WE NEED YOUR HELP!

BILL SB2654 is currently in conference between the Senate and House Members and is close to being passed!

SB2654 WILL ADD A MINIMUM OF 70% TAX ON eliquid AND WILL BAN YOU FROM ORDERING vaping PRODUCTS ONLINE.

PLEASE CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE JOHN MIZUNO!
Please let him know how this bill will affect you!

When contacting him, PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND COURTEOUS.

Email him at: Repmizuno@capitol.hawaii.gov
and place a follow up call to his office at:
808-586-6050

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO PLACE THE FOLLOW UP CALL

Why so late, Eciggity? And - not trying to blame anyone, but why no warning from CASAA like in the past? (Yeah, I'm just sour...)

I'll do my share tomorrow, but this thing is already in conference committee. Me thinks the fix is in. Guess I'll have to resort to DIY and pickup up bottles of nic before the effective date of the act.

Last chance for Hawaii. Here's the latest draft:

https://legiscan.com/HI/text/SB2654/id/1776863/Hawaii-2018-SB2654-Amended.html

I'm angry and depressed....

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Guess I'll have to resort to DIY and pickup up bottles of nic before the effective date of the act.
It would be wise to have a stash and learn how to use it even if they weren't threatening this. The FDA's Deeming reg would have killed the e-liquid market by this August anyway if the current administration hadn't delayed the PMTA deadline.
Man is this a joke? The very last section of the latest draft says:

SECTION 13. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 3000.
That date is a place-holder. It will be revised.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes I understand the frustration concerning trying to keep up with all the legislation and regulation concerning vaping. I would agree that you should fight the good fight, and I will submit comments.

I find myself less frustrated during advocacy if I feel "safe" myself, so stockpiling some if you can may be a good idea. Flavors will be available although it may be possible that one may have to do some conversion processes to make them "work" for vaping, so I'd probably focus on nicotine.

I hope the idea fails, but I hope that about many things vape. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about the proposal.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From the 4-7-2018 version of the 1-20-2018 Introduced Bill...

The purpose of this part is to:

(1) Make unlawful the shipment of tobacco products to anyone other than a licensee;

(2) Make unlawful the transport of tobacco products ordered through remote sale to anyone other than a licensee;

(3) Include e-liquid within the definition of "tobacco products", as used in the cigarette tax and tobacco tax law, thereby:

(A) Subjecting e-liquid to the excise tax on tobacco products;

(B) Requiring retailers of e-liquid to obtain a retail tobacco permit to sell, possess, keep, acquire, distribute, or transport e-liquid;

(C) Prohibiting persons from engaging in the business of wholesaling or dealing e-liquid without first obtaining a license from the department of taxation; and

(D) Applying other requirements of chapter 245, Hawaii Revised Statutes;

Hawaii SB2654 | 2018 | Regular Session

deb51

Apr 23, 2018
Wagait Beach,Darwin
Downunder one cannot purchase any products containing nicotine,so all must be imported from overseas,
Even though some politicans support legalising the majority didn't so the TGA our FDA,put the stoppers on back in late March.So those of us who use ecigs are actually breaking the law as nicoyine is a S7 poison.
Also,different states & territories have different rules regarding owning ecigs & flavoured ejuices (without nicotine) as they are concerned children may start vaping.
Too much publicity makes it all worse.
BUT it is legal to buy cigarettes....

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
Downunder one cannot purchase any products containing nicotine....
Their climat is great for tobacco plants! So they can grow their own plants in the garden or in pots on the balcony or on the roof. Harvest, as soon as the leaves are big enough, submerge under water, nicotine floats upwards.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Their climat is great for tobacco plants! So they can grow their own plants in the garden or in pots on the balcony or on the roof. Harvest, as soon as the leaves are big enough, submerge under water, nicotine floats upwards.
Windmills do not work that way. ;)

Reactions: stols001

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Update:

Received a response from Senator Roz Baker who wrote that the bill died in Conference Committee but that they dealt with “these matters” in another bill. She did not identify the bill they used. (Surprise, surprise, surprise...)

I just wrote back and asked what they did and what bill they used as a vehicle. I suspect that they tied it to a bill that MUST be passed - for example the budget bill - so that members have to vote for the bill even if they disagree with the provisions that adversely affect vapers. SOP.

Seems my hope was short-lived. I may be frequenting the DIY forum in the near future; I may have to get up to speed quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread