Late to the RTA Party: Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glinda

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
United States
I'm late to the game as far as RTAs go, and need some recommendations, pronto.

I'm about 8 years smoke free, I'm still enjoying my old school nautilus mini with a 1.8 coil, and I like my mini Melo tank with a 1.0 coil. I'm not a sub ohm person, I'm not a cloud chaser and I vape because I love the flavors (I guess I'm what is known as a tootle puffer, huh?) I don't intend to quit, but with all of the misinformed hysteria surrounding us, it seems the clock is ticking.

I have supplies to make eliquid for 20 years, I'm almost set on mods, but I am waaaay off the mark as far as rebuilds go. I have the wire, I have the organic cotton, I just need recommendations for mini RTAs that aren't leaky and don't have a tough learning curve. Single coil builds sound attractive (and easier?) to me, but if there's a dual or something fancyish that would change my life, I'm open.

Dish!

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
I've heard good things about the smjy doggystyle
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.fasttech.com/p/amp/6238000
I just bought 3, but haven't used them yet. I have heard that they are extremely forgiving as far as wicking goes. Lots of us in the tootle puffer thread would definitely have some good suggestions for you. I've been using the Erlkönigin to great effect for the last 6 years, and I would recommend it, but unfortunately it is very hard to find.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I researched the same thing... here's my wishlist:
GEEK VAPE AMMIT 24MM MTL RTA

Coppervape Hussar Project X Styled RTA

INNOKIN ARES 24MM MTL RTA

Fumytech Rose MTL RTA

CTHULHU MOD HASTUR MTL RTA MINI

EHPRO True MTL RTA

Berserker V1.5 Styled MTL RTA

COILART SALT 18MM RTA

ULTON Tripod Style 316SS 22mm RTA

SILVERPLAY 24MM MULTI AIRFLOW RTA

SXK Doggystyle Styled RTA

and maybe the kayfun lite 2019...

I ended up ordering the Silverplay.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015

I'm about 8 years smoke free, I'm still enjoying my old school Nautilus mini with a 1.8 coil, and I like my mini Melo tank with a 1.0 coil. I'm not a sub ohm person, I'm not a cloud chaser and I vape because I love the flavors (I guess I'm what is known as a toodle puffer, huh?) I don't intend to quit, but with all of the misinformed hysteria surrounding us, it seems the clock is ticking.

I have supplies to make eliquid for 20 years, I'm almost set on mods, but I am waaaay off the mark as far as rebuilds go. I have the wire, I have the organic cotton, I just need recommendations for mini RTAs that aren't leaky and don't have a tough learning curve. Single coil builds sound attractive (and easier?) to me, but if there's a dual or something fancyish that would change my life, I'm open.

Dish!

The Doggystyle is a great RTA with fantastic flavor, but I would go with the EH Pro True RTA. It's a glass tank which means you don't have to worry about vaping tank cracker liquids. The build deck is very easy, easier than the Doggy in my opinion. I like the throat hit I get with the True and I find the Doggy is lacking in that department. The True will give you fantastic flavor too. It's a top fill tank, which is nice too. As long as you lube the o rings really well and close the fill ports all the way after you fill the tank it's a problem-free, leak-free tank that retails for around $22 at Fast Tech.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/9674674-authentic-ehpro-true-mtl-rta-rebuildable-tank

You can read all about it in the True thread here on ECF.

Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA

And the Doggy has it's own thread too.

SXK DOGGY STYLE

Hope you find the perfect tank for you!

In both threads you'll find great information on building properly and all of the little details to give you a fantastic vape. Both the True and the Doggie are single coil, MTL RTAs.

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
I have a similar story. I started vaping in 2010 Mouth to lung mostly I settled for Nautilus products. I did try other mouth to lung tanks and hated them. I had a period where I tried direct lung vaping but failed miserably. I hated DL vaping. I also tried early Kayfuns including the kayfun 5 and mini. I didn't care for all the work.

Hubs helped me build a few coils but he's a pain in my ..... I recently purchased mtl tanks
Berserker 1.5 mini
Steam crave aromamizer lite RTA
Hastur mtl rta
They arrived today.
I can tolerate the Kanger subox tanks if I build my own coils. Building is not my thing but maybe I need a good tank. I'm hoping one of the above makes me happy.
I purchased these tanks from vapordna. They have coupon codes floating around.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I have a similar story. I started vaping in 2010 Mouth to lung mostly I settled for Nautilus products. I did try other mouth to lung tanks and hated them. I had a period where I tried direct lung vaping but failed miserably. I hated DL vaping. I also tried early Kayfuns including the kayfun 5 and mini. I didn't care for all the work.

Hubs helped me build a few coils but he's a pain in my ..... I recently purchased mtl tanks
Berserker 1.5 mini
Steam crave aromamizer lite RTA
Hastur mtl rta
They arrived today.
I can tolerate the Kanger subox tanks if I build my own coils. Building is not my thing but maybe I need a good tank. I'm hoping one of the above makes me happy.
I purchased these tanks from vapordna. They have coupon codes floating around.

I've heard great things about all of the tanks you mention above, but I thought the Aromamizer is a DL tank? Not sure about what it is exactly. I have the Hastur Mini MTL RTA. The flavor is great and it's easy to build too. I never had any problem with the wicking or leaking, but I get vape condensation in my mouth pretty frequently with it and I'm not crazy about that.

Reactions: Glinda

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

I'm about 8 years smoke free, I'm still enjoying my old school Nautilus mini with a 1.8 coil, and I like my mini Melo tank with a 1.0 coil. I'm not a sub ohm person, I'm not a cloud chaser and I vape because I love the flavors (I guess I'm what is known as a toodle puffer, huh?) I don't intend to quit, but with all of the misinformed hysteria surrounding us, it seems the clock is ticking.

Dish!
I could've written what @JustWondering1 wrote. Agree with it 100%. Once upon a time, Doggy was the best by a mile over any I'd tried. Never planned on switching, but won a True, and wow. Never looked back.

Doggy is a little easier to wick- not that the True is difficult at all. It just has a little more room for wicking. But then, True is a little easier to mount coils, because of the trapping bars on the side of the screws. They both have fantastic flavor, but the True is more dense, and better TH, and I've gotta have the TH.

Even though I prefer the True, I'm still getting a few more doggies for the stash. True's top gasket isn't replaceable, and long term it could be an issue. I've got several Trues, and getting more- but I want both in my stockpile. The doggie has almost no parts that would wear out. Also, doggies are only about $10 each, so if you're on a budget, you can get more of those.

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
I've heard great things about all of the tanks you mention above, but I thought the Aromamizer is a DL tank? Not sure about what it is exactly. I have the Hastur Mini MTL RTA. The flavor is great and it's easy to build too. I never had any problem with the wicking or leaking, but I get vape condensation in my mouth pretty frequently with it and I'm not crazy about that.
This one is both(Aromamizer lite). It was bought at vapor dna It's out of stock right now.
Interchangeable with MTL configuration or DL Configuration

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Keep in mind how much airflow they have. I like looser MTL so half the ones on my list were not enough airflow for me. Too, I really liked the Berserker.
Berserker is about as tight as it gets, so it's a little confusing you say you like it, but others didn't have enough flow for you?

Doggy has 2 main clones- SXK is tighter, and uses an oring on the bottom, has a clear PC tank. SJMY is a little looser (larger intake dia), no oring necessary, frosted acrylic tank.

Like I said, I chose the Silverplay, but Ephro True was my second choice. The only one others warned me to avoid is the Innokin Ares.
Yes, but Ares is a different class - drop-in tanks. Not bad, but too airy for me, and it was my last attempt at liking a drop in tank, though it may be the most popular drop in ever. Drop ins just can't give what RTA's do imo.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    You've had all my faves suggested already - and once you find the one you prefer:
    Buy lots of o-rings, deck screws, insulators (if you can) and spare glass tubes.

Especially buy deck screws! There's nothing worse than than stripping your deck screw, and realising you have already used your last replacement ;)

Glinda

ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Keep in mind how much airflow they have. I like looser MTL so half the ones on my list were not enough airflow for me. Too, I really liked the Berserker.

Just checking back (still shopping) and after doing some reading I decided to throw a Beserker into the mix. Getting a thumbs up from a forum member instills even more confidence in my choice. I'm doubly looking forward to receiving it now- thanks!

Glinda

ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    You've had all my faves suggested already - and once you find the one you prefer:
    Buy lots of o-rings, deck screws, insulators (if you can) and spare glass tubes.

Especially buy deck screws! There's nothing worse than than stripping your deck screw, and realising you have already used your last replacement ;)

Oh, that makes so much sense. I wish I didn't have to do this piecemeal (Kaching $)! I'm looking at more regulated mods too, and boy, this stuff adds up.

• Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread