Latest Status of H.R.2058? Lost in Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday13th

Vaping since Friday 13th of July 2012
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2015
Living a Dodge life in Oklahoma
Has anyone seen or heard ANYTHING on H.R.2058? (FDA Deeming Clarification - Grandfather Date)

Latest status I can find shows it was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health on May 1, 2015.

So I searched the website for the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health. There is no mention of H.R.2058 on their site at all, no matter what search terms I use. It's like they never received it for review? Did it get lost somewhere? Does anyone know how to confirm that the subcommittee has it in their possession?

None of my Representatives (Okla) serve on this subcommittee and I can't email the members since I'm not in their state.

House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health:
Republican Members
Joseph Pitts (Pennsylvania - 16) - Chairman
Brett Guthrie (Kentucky - 02) - Vice Chairman
John Shimkus (Illinois - 15)
Tim Murphy (Pennsylvania - 18)
Michael Burgess (Texas - 26)
Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee - 07)
Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Washington - 05)
Leonard Lance (New Jersey - 07)
Morgan Griffith (Virginia - 09)
Gus Bilirakis (Florida - 12)
Billy Long (Missouri - 07)
Renee Ellmers (North Carolina - 02)
Larry Bucshon (Indiana - 08)
Susan Brooks (Indiana - 05)
Chris Collins (New York - 27)
Joe Barton (Texas - 06) - Chairman Emeritus
Fred Upton (Michigan - 06) - Ex Officio
Vacancy

Democratic Members
Gene Green (Texas - 29) - Ranking Member
Eliot Engel (New York - 16)
Lois Capps (California - 24)
Janice Schakowsky (Illinois - 09)
G. K. Butterfield (North Carolina - 01)
Kathy Castor (Florida - 14)
John Sarbanes (Maryland - 03)
Doris Matsui (California - 06)
Ben Lujan (New Mexico - 03)
Kurt Schrader (Oregon - 05)
Joseph Kennedy (Massachusetts - 04)
Tony Cárdenas (California - 29)
Frank Pallone (New Jersey - 06) - Ex Officio

H.R.2058 continues to gain cosponsors (now 77) as late as 9/12/16.

Reactions: randyith

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Has anyone seen or heard ANYTHING on H.R.2058? (FDA Deeming Clarification - Grandfather Date)

Latest status I can find shows it was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health on May 1, 2015.

So I searched the website for the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health. There is no mention of H.R.2058 on their site at all, no matter what search terms I use. It's like they never received it for review? Did it get lost somewhere? Does anyone know how to confirm that the subcommittee has it in their possession?

None of my Representatives (Okla) serve on this subcommittee and I can't email the members since I'm not in their state.

House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health:
Republican Members
Joseph Pitts (Pennsylvania - 16) - Chairman
Brett Guthrie (Kentucky - 02) - Vice Chairman
John Shimkus (Illinois - 15)
Tim Murphy (Pennsylvania - 18)
Michael Burgess (Texas - 26)
Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee - 07)
Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Washington - 05)
Leonard Lance (New Jersey - 07)
Morgan Griffith (Virginia - 09)
Gus Bilirakis (Florida - 12)
Billy Long (Missouri - 07)
Renee Ellmers (North Carolina - 02)
Larry Bucshon (Indiana - 08)
Susan Brooks (Indiana - 05)
Chris Collins (New York - 27)
Joe Barton (Texas - 06) - Chairman Emeritus
Fred Upton (Michigan - 06) - Ex Officio
Vacancy

Democratic Members
Gene Green (Texas - 29) - Ranking Member
Eliot Engel (New York - 16)
Lois Capps (California - 24)
Janice Schakowsky (Illinois - 09)
G. K. Butterfield (North Carolina - 01)
Kathy Castor (Florida - 14)
John Sarbanes (Maryland - 03)
Doris Matsui (California - 06)
Ben Lujan (New Mexico - 03)
Kurt Schrader (Oregon - 05)
Joseph Kennedy (Massachusetts - 04)
Tony Cárdenas (California - 29)
Frank Pallone (New Jersey - 06) - Ex Officio

H.R.2058 continues to gain cosponsors (now 77) as late as 9/12/16.

So, HR 2058 was a great vehicle for showing support for changing the predicate date, but was never going to pass on its own.

So we took the language from it, and your Rep. Tom Cole added it to the spending bill for the Dept. Of Agriculture (which includes all FDA funding). This is the "Cole-Bishop amendment" which was adopted on a 31-19 vote.

The final agreement on these spending bills has now been pushed to March, 2017. This will be where they decide whether all current products can stay on the market, or will be banned.

Please get in touch with your Senator, James Lankford (who is on the Senate committee that will negotiate this) and ask that he support the House language to change the seeming date! Also ask that he weigh in with the Republican leadership (Sen. McConnell) and urge him to adopt the House passed language on this!

Thanks for your interest and advocacy! Now is the time to save vaping!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
Okay, I'm confused!
So, HR 2058 was a great vehicle for showing support for changing the predicate date, but was never going to pass on its own.

So we took the language from it, and your Rep. Tom Cole added it to the spending bill for the Dept. Of Agriculture (which includes all FDA funding). This is the "Cole-Bishop amendment" which was adopted on a 31-19 vote.

The final agreement on these spending bills has now been pushed to March, 2017. This will be where they decide whether all current products can stay on the market, or will be banned.

Please get in touch with your Senator, James Lankford (who is on the Senate committee that will negotiate this) and ask that he support the House language to change the seeming date! Also ask that he weigh in with the Republican leadership (Sen. McConnell) and urge him to adopt the House passed language on this!

Thanks for your interest and advocacy! Now is the time to save vaping!

Mike

I read this http://www.cspdailynews.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/vaping-measure-fails-pass-senateand don't understand the federal government.
Can someone explain the contradiction?

Reactions: Hulamoon

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Not surprisingly, Congress failed to pass the spending bills for 2017. They extended spending at current levels until 4/28/17. By then, they either need to pass the bills or another continuance. Only the bills will contain the language changing the date for vapor products.
The authors of the amendment, Reps. Tom Cole and Sanford Bishop are going to introduce legislation basically the same as the amendment - to change the date to 21 months after their bill is enacted.
We are also pushing the new administration and FDA to postpone all dates several year forward.
Does this help clear up?

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Yeah Hulamoon, I think we have to push for changing the date to allow all current products to remain in the market. April 28th is the new deadline, and that's only about 75 days away.
Meanwhile we are working on a broader bill that will reform FDA to ENCOURAGE lower risk products rather than punish them under the tobacco regulatory regime.
Looks like all the groups are starting to come together, so better things may be possible.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Thank you so much Truthdog! So we still have (probably a much better shot now) of the live amendment being added to new budget legislation....assuming that a budget will actually happen this time round..... Is that the Russian bear dog in your avi?

That's a grizzly bear I met in Alaska. She was sweet, but papa bear notsomuch!

Reactions: Hulamoon

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
Not surprisingly, Congress failed to pass the spending bills for 2017. They extended spending at current levels until 4/28/17. By then, they either need to pass the bills or another continuance. Only the bills will contain the language changing the date for vapor products.
The authors of the amendment, Reps. Tom Cole and Sanford Bishop are going to introduce legislation basically the same as the amendment - to change the date to 21 months after their bill is enacted.
We are also pushing the new administration and FDA to postpone all dates several year forward.
Does this help clear up?

Thanks!!!
I knew you were the person to ask.
Virginia politics is so much easier to grasp.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
That's a grizzly bear I met in Alaska. She was sweet, but papa bear notsomuch!

Gorgeous! Here's the Orvchaka - the dog, only this one's a liddle puppy.
orvchaka.jpg
Similar build, color and fur.

Reactions: LaraC

Friday13th

Vaping since Friday 13th of July 2012
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2015
Living a Dodge life in Oklahoma
Thanks Truthdog for your detailed responses!

In my opinion, here is some good news: Rep Tom Cole, Rep Duncan Hunter, Sen Ron Johnson, and my own Senator Lankford were re-elected in November.

I've written Sen Lankford many times over the years; only get 'canned' responses but they are generally in favor of vapers. Sen Lankford serves on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affair with Sen Ron Johnson and I've asked him to support Sen Johnson's efforts regarding the FDA.

Do you think there is any chance for H.R 2058 or the Cole-Bishop Amendment? Or is something newer and better in the works?

Thanks, Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread