Lava Tube: Better and cheaper than the Provari (video opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I found this video interesting. This is just one mans opinion of why the Lava Tube is better than the Provari.

This is the Lava Tube I understand only sold under the name Knight Rider in Canada.

I am not making any claims myself, I have not tried either one - But if I were going to buy a cheap but sleek nice looking VV mod, the Lava Tube is priced right with a lot of features.

Perhaps if anyone owns both the Lava Tube and Provari they can confirm or deny what this man is saying.

I do want to know however.. these use one battery that's topped off at 4.2 volts. How do you get 6 volts out of 4.2 volts? I thought that was impossible.

There are step up transformers that can step up voltage but you lose current in the process losing efficiency. Is this how the Lava Tube works?

Simple explanation of step up transformer. Free Energy by using a "step-up power transformer", is this theory true? - Yahoo! Answers

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm building a mod ATM that uses a step-up regulator. Yes you can draw higher voltage from a battery than it's rated for. The sacrifice is mAh. The boost circuits reserve "extra" voltage by using capacitors for "bursts" of higher voltage, combined with the supplied voltage to acheive the higher setting.

Dunno if Lavatube is "better" than Provari, but it does seem to be almost equivalent at a lower cost. The amp limits are less than a Provari, so if you like DC cartos, go Provari.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
here is a side by side the lava tube is about the same circumference but it's longer then the provari I get about 1 1/2 days out of my provari power batteries 2500Mah about 12-14 hours out the AW IMR 1600mah battery I'm using with my lava tube. everybody is entitled to their opinion.
tubemods.jpg

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
There are two types or regulators used in mods, Step up(boost) and step down(buck). Boost regulators are able to get more voltage out of one battery than the single battery is rated for but is usually more current limited due to only using a single battery.

Both the Lavatube and the Provari use a Boost circuit with basically the same specs, both have a 2.5amp current limit. The biggest difference between them other than the obvious is how they handle the limit. When you get above the current limit on the Provari it cuts power to the atty and gives and error until the current is turned down to within it's limit. The Lavatube will still vape once it's limit is reached but will cut the power down to a safe vaping level within spec.

Mindfield also owns both and did a pretty detailed comparison review, there are others as well.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...review-knight-rider-lava-tube-vs-provari.html

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
There are two types or regulators used in mods, Step up(boost) and step down(buck). Boost regulators are able to get more voltage out of one battery than the single battery is rated for but is usually more current limited due to only using a single battery.

Both the Lavatube and the Provari use a Boost circuit with basically the same specs, both have a 2.5amp current limit. The biggest difference between them other than the obvious is how they handle the limit. When you get above the current limit on the Provari it cuts power to the atty and gives and error until the current is turned down to within it's limit. The Lavatube will still vape once it's limit is reached but will cut the power down to a safe vaping level within spec.

Mindfield also owns both and did a pretty detailed comparison review, there are others as well.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...review-knight-rider-lava-tube-vs-provari.html

My provari has a 2.7 amp limit

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I read somewhere on the provari thread that the newer booster chips the cut off is between 2.5-2.8 amps, vape360 posted it a thread somewhere I went looking for it and can't find it now. but that must be the case because I can do a 1.5 dual coil at 4.2 the carto ohms at 1.6 but that's still 2.62 amps

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks Nomoreash for the video by Minefield for the pros and cons - that was a Great review.

I like the features the Lava Tube has over the Provari. Love the idea that with the Lava Tube you have 3 buttons and you do not have to click on the same button various numbers of times to access and use the menu like you do with the Provari.

I love the fact that it's lighter and will not weight down your pocket. Using it should feel more like a cigarette and less like a big machine.

I love the fact that it's sleek, black and Not " high precision machined stainless steel" because that makes the Provari so UGLY IMO. I also don't like the ribbed style of the Provario. I would be ashamed to pull one out of my pocket. I don't see the need to have a stainless steel tube mod that can handle Mac trucks running over it unless your prone to dropping your mods or work on a construction site. That's just overkill and a selling point that's for sensationalism IMO. It's a justification for the price. Some might actually need that but not most.. Heck I drop my plastic Old Goat 5v mod all the time and nothing hurts it so I doubt anyone will ruin the Lava Tube by dropping it.

Imagine if they made the Lava Tube with stainless steel and had to charge at most 20 dollars more. It then would be as solid as the Provari and still over 150 dollars cheaper.

I love the fact the Lava Tube has features the Provari does not have in that you won't get an EE reading and will still be able to vape. That's a major feature IMO. The more you can continue to vape and not have to stop getting your nic fix because the mod stops working is a Big Plus.

I'd say if you like the style and look of the Provari and can afford one, go for it but if you are on a budget and want something that is really better in many respects (depending on your preferences or at least the next best thing) then you cannot go wrong by the Lava Tube.

For me, it would be the Lava Tube hands down. You could GIVE me a Provari and I'd give it right back to you. It has too many features I don't like.

I see the Lava Tube on sale for 70 dollars in the USA. I may look into getting one. I like my 5v but I want to try a little higher voltage and be able to adjust for voltage as my atty takes wear and tear to keep it preforming well.

Last edited:

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
1.5ohm dual coil on my lava tube meters at 3.64 volts no matter what the voltage is set at. you know what I just changed the battery and now I'm getting 4.1v with that 1.5ohm carto so I guess it matters how much charge is left in your battery, the battery was reading 3.6v when I swapped it

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Having the Lavatube automatically switch down to 3.7v with LR cartos is far superior to getting an error message and having to fumble with manual voltage adjustment. As the 1.5 ohm dual coils are my preference that would be deal breaker. I'm sure the Provari will get updated soon as they are otherwise better crafted and this should have already woken them up to a needed change.

I would be ashamed to pull one out of my pocket.

I have to admit that I filter out all tube mods that look similar to a personal massager. Both the Provape and Provari were eliminated on that basis the first time I saw them. I'm sure they vape great but I'm not pulling them out of my pocket either.

araczynski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
omaha, ne
Having the Lavatube automatically switch down to 3.7v with LR cartos is far superior to getting an error message and having to fumble with manual voltage adjustment. As the 1.5 ohm dual coils are my preference that would be deal breaker. I'm sure the Provari will get updated soon as they are otherwise better crafted and this should have already woken them up to a needed change.

I have to admit that I filter out all tube mods that look similar to a personal massager. Both the Provape and Provari were eliminated on that basis the first time I saw them. I'm sure they vape great but I'm not pulling them out of my pocket either.

agree on both accounts, no phallic looking tubes for me either, and i've gotten to like the 1.5 DC's, not to mention they're dirt cheap and effective.

I bought the Lavatube.
Clicking 6 times to up the voltage by 0.1 volts and paying twice as much for a PV didn't seem logical to me.

especially considering that it makes a single button the most likely point of failure, as opposed to spreading the 'abuse' around.

i suspect they'll change the design sooner or later in light of the above, that or create an additional slightly different model.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Guess the lt is better than the provari threads are never going to end... Build quality and customer service set the two apart more than anything else. Not sure about you but if I'm carrying around a batt with 96amps (1600mah imr) or 150 amps (2500mah) that's being pushed to it's limits would rather have thick steel all around it than thin aluminum and plastic... Especially when one is prone to being abusive to items....

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
"IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY"

Really! Another thread castigating the Provari to promulgate the virtues of the Lavatube. We all need that like another hole in the head.

Let the Lavatube stand on its own merit. If it is a superior product that provides more bang for the buck, the market will decide and the Provari will go the way of the horse and buggy.

Personally, I don't care what pv one uses as long as the objective is met: GETTING OFF ANALOGS. If the Lavatube works for you, God bless you.

peace-out,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread