Lavatube/LT mini/Vision tox or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
So I'll try to keep this pretty brief and include just relevant info. What I'm looking for is a VV mod that is pocketable and will last all day, or at least most of it. Carrying around a bigger mod isn't as big a deal in the wintertime when I've got generous sized jacket pockets, but I'm pretty active in the summertime and am just wearing shorts and a t-shirt 95% of the time, so having something I can carry around in my pocket is important. I may be asking for something that doesn't exist as far as portability and battery life, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've been close to pulling the trigger on a full sized LT, but it doesn't exactly look like something that wouldn't be sticking out of jeans/shorts pockets and weighing them down. The mini looks like a decent compromise, but I can't find much about what sort of battery life one would be able to expect out of it. The vision "tox" (and whatever re-brands) looks just about perfect since it comes with batteries and tubes for the larger and smaller batteries, so I could use it full sized around the house and mini on the go. But there seem to be plenty of issues with it as far as QC and performance, even moreso than the LT (which, from what I've seen of the LT, I could forgive with its reasonable price). I just need it to work, and hopefully deliver something close to the set voltage. I've seen pbusardo's review, and understand the 2.5A max of these units, but the testing I saw on the Vision tox showed that the actual voltage it put out was considerably and consistently lower than it was set at, even with a 3.0 Ohm carto that should be able to utilize most of the voltage range of the device.

So I'm not sure whether to just go ahead and get a LT/mini, or to wait it out and see if the tox gets to a point where it can be recommended. Or just wait for the next "best thing" which would hopefully deliver decent battery life and reliable performance in a form factor more like the Provari (which I don't feel like dropping a couple hundred on yet). Also, if there are any LT mini users out there, I'd love to hear what their experience has been, especially regarding battery life. Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
It's kinda hard to get a good idea of the size from pics and videos, the LT just looks kinda "big" to me. Probably since I saw a photo of it next to the Provari.. But what you say makes sense. 65F = cold? Lucky, haha.

Although one thing I thought of is that the button placement is probably more natural on the full size LT as opposed to the mini..even if a bit longer.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The LT is quite long, longer than the Provari or Buzz, not sure about the Infinity, probably close to the same. Anyway since the length is close, between those if your looking at budget I'd recommend the Infinity Pro. It isn't that much more < $100 or < $90 if you get a blemished version and they do have a 7.5% coupon code on top of that. It's a much better all around mod, overall build quality, metal caps and it holds the voltage no matter what you put on it.

If you're looking at strictly size and price the LT mini isn't a bad introduction to VV. I had it for 10 days but sold it when the Provari Mini was announced. I did some testing with 3 ohm cartos since that's what I normally use anyway and if the voltage was kept at 5ish volts or below and I didn't let the battery drain down below 3.5v it held voltage fine, almost as soon as the battery hit 3.4v it started dropping voltage under load. You'll just have to play with it a while and see where the limits are for what your using with it.

waynebrady

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Houston
It's kinda hard to get a good idea of the size from pics and videos, the LT just looks kinda "big" to me. Probably since I saw a photo of it next to the Provari.. But what you say makes sense. 65F = cold? Lucky, haha.
I have a lavatube (apollo vtube). Lavatubes are big. Tube mods are just .. they're just big. I place them ALL under the 'those are big' umbrella. I use tanks so regardless of how minature they might attempt to be (mini lava tube, mini provari), it wont make too much of a difference since my tank adds additional height.

The lavatube is the tallest tube that I can think of. I have an m1a1 tank on my tube right now and carrying that bad boy around in my pants' pocket feels unnatural. My drip tip is big too so the tip sticks right out of my pocket unless I have some especially deep pocketed pants on.

That said, I knew all of that would happen. For the price and for it being a VV mod, I'm not complaining. One day, I might buy some sort of tube purse or satchel for it. I think it'll feel a lot less unnatural if I wear it like I would wear a big camera or something. I might even go so far as to get a mini bag to carry around a whole vape kit (juices, tips, tube, batteries, etc). That seems more natural to me than carrying around this delicate piece of equipment, with juice in it, around in my pocket. I would hate to run into something and break my tank or mess up the 510 connection.

All that said, I still currently carry it in my pocket if I'm traveling somewhere. Yes, it feels stupid. If I wanted to go small, I would buy something like a small box mod. But, good luck finding a VV box mod with a good reputation for the same price that you can get a lavatube for ($40).

edit: now that I've made this post, I'm suddenly interested in finding a tube purse for myself.

Last edited:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
You know, that's probably not a bad idea. I can see times where I'd rather not be carrying all that stuff with me, but it would probably be handy.

I don't know.. The more of the ProVari I see, the more I like it, I've yet to see any unsatisfied owners which has to say something. But I'm still kinda wrestling with the price a bit, it seems like the components themselves can't be terribly expensive, although I know there are certainly more expenses involved in developing and producing a top-notch product. The ProVari actually does look pocketable, although from what I've read and seen in reviews, it's on the heavier side. I really wish I could just compare the ProVari and LT side by side.

The more I think about it, the regular LT might be a bit big for my needs, and the mini would probably have insufficient battery life. I'm gonna have to look more into the buzz pro and infinity (thanks Nomoreash), and maybe some box mods too. Jeez, by the time I'm ready to buy anything I'm gonna be more well versed in VV mods than I really set out to be!

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
I'm kinda starting to feel the same way bizzyb0t! I've seen multiple people that have gone from the LT > ProVari, and their main complaint is that they didn't just get the ProVari first, basically saying the money they thought they'd save with the LT was negated since they ended up buying both (and had to sell the LT, or kept it as a backup). Yeah, $212 is a good chunk of change, but if it's the last mod you'll need to buy and you can upgrade at a very reasonable price ($20 for v1>v2), it's looking more and more like it's worth the extra $$.

I'm about halfway through the pbusardo review, gonna finish it here in a minute. His review answered a lot of my questions about the LT, his ProVari review looks to be equally as helpful!

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Here you go, hon... It's crazy long... but it will give you every single first impression I had on the Tox today. I absolutely adore it... can't believe it was a $79 kit... but I may have to go ahead and get a LT (in addition to... no way am I giving the Tox back, at least based on todays practically religious experience... AND I got the screwed up first run, so will have to wait for it to be replaced. They're that fun! But no way can i wait for the new controllers without getting something, you know? So will have LT and tox.) So hope some little detail helps makes your mind up. BTW... MY absolute DREAM set up for mods is such.... A Provari V2 kit w extender cap (main)... A tox backup (both of those provari and tox switch batt size.. perfect), and a baby pink Bombshell, which is a fixed v device, but GORGEOUS, and really really sexy looking pv. Its like the 'betty boop' of pvs. lol For a fixed 18650 mod, its about $80, so you know its super pretty. And a kick inside that, so it could be vv. If I ever hit the lotto, those 3 will be my ideals.

First Impressions of my TOX... (i'm b'zausted, so will do some actual testing w/meter tomorrow)... and this is totally long and rambl-y and stream of consciousness-y as things occur to me. I'll put the actual DATA in a super easy chart or something.

Got Tox today.... omgeee.... the manual is a HOOT! Totally unintelligible. Talk about a 'lost in translation' moment. But I have a great set of quick click instructions someone shared with me, so I'll leave that here as well tomorrow.

First... took me about 1 hour to know for absolute sure, but I definitely have one of the super glitchy ones. Not firing occasionally, cutting in and out mid fire a bunch, weird voltage things, plus my left (down voltage) button only works about 1/2 the time... exactly as been mentioned elsewhere. BUT we already know some were messed up at the factory, the vendors (i don't know about safer cigs in UK, but GotVapes and LiteCigUSA both) are already waiting for the updated/corrected controllers... so I know I'll end up with a good one eventually.

If I ignore the major voltage fluctuation probs and firing issues (which I have been assured by good vendors will be addressed in the newly fabricated heads and just will not be an issue with the ones purchased once those heads are in), this thing is flipping AMAZING for a $79 product (whole kit!). I saw Bizzb0t's quick review, with the weird gaps between two body sections (mine are perfectly fit together...flawless) and the super funky threading on bottom screw cap... I don't have any issues like that at all. This one i have in my hand is pretty darned solid. Buttons are decent. Might be nice if there was a thin piece of rubber under the button mechanism that just concealed the tiny gap around the button. Of course that gap has to be there, or button won't press properly (its a really satisfying clicky button, but just hard plastic. Nice rubber coating on top would be nicer) or would get stuck under lip of body... but the ideal from a totally .... detail oriented person would be great to use a thin gauge rubber sheet, or a tiny lip at bottom of button and just conceal it. BUT BUT BUT.... the fire button is in the exact perfect place on the mod. Back of mod, so if you're looking at the screen, perfectly oriented for your index finger to press it... right about maybe 1/2 inch from the top of the PV. If you're just holding to vape... perfect place for ball of your thumb to press it. And of course I'd prefer the whole unit in Stainless....The only thing... ONLY thing that would be cool aside from all the pieces being metal (which we already knew the head and screw on cap are plastic... but definitely durable plastic), is that...as Bizzb0t mentioned... the twist on threading that connects the top controller and the bottom body tubes is a sort of fit together and twist plastic threading. You do really have to be careful with that... fit it on properly and turn it in the right direction. I can't imagine why they used plastic, since all the other bits like that are metal, and the 'blades' that twist together seem like they might wear over time. Keep in mind that they are set inside the tubing itself, so nothing that regular wear and tear with vaping is going to affect. But after a few hundred twists for battery change/size change, might be an issue.

Ok, so that's it for the glitch which is in the process of being fixed/replaced and nit picky stuff (which quite frankly, I'm still super impressed with it for an $79 whole kit price, even with those tiny details. If this kit were a) all metal and available in different colors (will be colored options, but I mean right now all metal and colors avail) and b) concealed tiny gap around button, and solid metal 'fan blades' to lock the two boxy parts together... It would be comparable to other $99-120 mods. Not for the whole kit... just for the mod. There is no way to adequately describe how much nicer the oled screen with the perfectly crisp white numbers on black screen is to the slightly fuzzy reddish hued led screen of the lava tube. I can read a lava screen... no sweat. But you always have to strain eyes a tiny bit, because the letters seem to have a little light bleed around edges. On the Tox, the oled screen is super itty bitty, but still, totally pristine. Smart/iphone phone, clear, if that gives you an idea. The screen itself makes the mod look much higher end, to me.

Ok, as for the other parts of the kit... Yup, it is a rather odd little charger. Mine wasn't totally falling apart, but some of the connections were all bent funny... but its just rather cheap and tichy. Get a $15 tenergy that charges 2, multi sized, and keep weird one for random backup. The thing is... you'll want a 2 batt charger anyway, because kit comes with two, and where I picked mine up... litecigsusa... a spare 18500 batt was a whopping $3.95. Too cheap to pass up. So I just bought my kit, and already have 3 batts. You need at least a double, and that's assuming this is your only device you need to keep charged. The vendors would add a TON of value to their kits if they gave buyers a choice of an inexpensive clamshell case, box of boge cartos, 3.0ohm atty, or the cheapo charger... cause all of those items are worth about $6 - $8, max.

Now here's first impressions of the actual vape of this thing. I've never actually vaped with Lava, just researched em till cows come home, so I really can't compare actual vaping experiences between those two specific units. I have, however, been using a 3-6/7v VV box, without the 2.5 amp restriction that Lava and Tox have, for upwards of 6 mos for my main vape. So I was really expecting a much less 'oomph' filled vape comparing the Tox (with restriction) to my vv box (limited safety restrictions). But the first thought through my head on good first hit, at only 4v.... Man, this really IS a STONKIN amount of vapor! I kept hearing the guy from safer cigs say that in the review, and honestly... it was almost startling how thick the vapor feels in your mouth... at only 4v, maybe a 6 second hit with a 1.7ohm Resurrector single coil, and some awesome $10 an ounce, 100% VG 'The Vapor Room dot net' juice. I would seriously recommend this Tox device (once first run issues are resolved) to anyone who can't vape PG, or chooses not to. The throat hit is way higher than I've been experiencing with VV Box, and keep in mind... I'm on all VG, so throat hit is really somewhat lacking, normally. And the vapor, even at 4-4.5v... honestly, best Ive ever had. Holy Schmoley. Seriously. 4.5v at this baby just flat KICKS THE TAR out of 4.5v on my vv box mod. Haven't played with higher ohm stuff yet, but again... hope to do all that tomorrow w some sort of chart.

Last two things... I was expecting the stupid lanyard they stick in the kit to be tossed. Its actually a very nice quality lanyard. I'm not really a lover of lanyards, but I may well end up beading this one, or dolling it up somehow, because it is just too nice to toss. There is a tiny little set of lanyard holes right above the firing button on the back. Also, something I didn't realize from reviews or first look video... above and below the firing button (on the back of PV) are two little soft rubber things. I don't think they're buttons... I think they're either for feel, to make firing easier, or perhaps to control the roll. Some mods in tube form can very easily just roll right off a table. These teensy tiny (about the size of up and down voltage buttons on the front) rubber pads seem like they'd stop the Tox in a roll, even with a tiny bit of a push. I don't know what they're designed for, but that function alone makes them handy. Above that, tiny little holes so super easy to affix a lanyard... either the one they give you, or a really gorgeous specialty one from The Squirrel Lady, or whatever. Also, if you're a cutesy rhinestones and stickers vaper, you could easily affix a cell phone dangle charm to that, instead. That's what they are... just like tiny cell phone holes.

And last. The two Vision brand clearo tank thingies that come with the kit. I hate hate HATE clearomizers. No flavor, just bleh, for me. I vape a good carto in a tank, usually, so I was intrigued to try these, since they're sort of clearo tanks, and a free tank is a free tank, right? My two are a largish one (guessing about 5ml) that's blue, and a clear one that looks about 2.5ish. I figured I'd try one puff, and be mad I wasted the juice in em, honestly. Tried the smaller one. SUPER easy to fill... use the cool lil needle nose bottle that comes w Tox kit, or save the hassle and just use a syringe. So none of the traditional clearomizer nonsense in filling. First hit tasted a little odd, actually. Second hit... incredibly dense, flavorful, and honestly one of the best hits ever, in anything. I was totally stunned. So these little free tanks might end up being something you really enjoy. Only complaint with it so far.. and this is probably my lack of clearo experience... I started at about 4.2v and it was utterly perfect. Decided to get clever, and see what happened at 5.5v. I'm SUCH an idiot. Got immediate burned icky flavor (I think these are supposed to be 3ohm tanks... someone measured em), and the problem is, now every hit I take on it tastes burned. So... amazing weird tank thingie, amazing juice... one burned hit... is it ruined? Anyone have any ideas if that's fixable, I'm all ears, and would be grateful.

So ok... I went nuts and told you guys every single impression, thought, conceivable improvement etc that occurred to me within the first 3 hours or so vaping with this thing. Overall? Man... I hope they get the fixed heads in soon, so the tiny bugs are a thing of the past... because when that happens, this thing is a total no brainer. I'd go so far as to say I'm gonna recommend this to total beginners (starting a sort of casual smoking cessation thing for a slew of my fathers co workers), as an alternative to the Ego/epower type kit I usually recommend. Once you lock the voltage at a nice 3.9v or so, it really is utterly simple and just saves the step of upgrading almost everyone goes through. Of course, that's after I verify that the new controllers work as advertised. I may still end up having to buy a lava tube in the interim, because it really is too glitchy to be my main vape for the month or whatever that the replacement switcheroo is going to take. But at least then I'll be able to say definitively which device I actually prefer, and have a solid backup. ;) Hope some of those tiny details give some of you an idea what we're dealing with. Gonna do testing tomorrow, plus try to get some really good photos of this thing... because even the reg 18500 size is MUCH smaller than I thought. Crossing fingers that by the time Litecigsusa is ready to send me my updated replaced controller head with brand new correct programming (that's the problem, I think. All the weird glitches the ones reporting problems seem as if they have a minor programming error), maybe I'll get lucky and the new color options are available. ;)

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
Nice! I'm glad that you're enjoying the mod, it seems like it could be quite a solid performer for the price once those initial bugs are worked out. It's a small thing, but the OLED screen on the tox was something I thought was really cool in comparison to the LT and ProVari (which looks good, but I kinda like the more minimal style of the OLED screen with the crisp black background). Is it seems like it's about the same size as the LT, which I head conflicting things about size-wise. Some people say it's smaller than expected and portable, others say it's too big and not that portable.

While I'm sure the feeling of quality with the ProVari is nice, I wouldn't be too excited about the weight that entails either, even though it's smaller than the LT. Hmm, I don't know, I'm rambling now but I do have some things to think about. I'd be really interested to see some testing of the tox as well, in the reviews of the LT it seemed like the actual voltage it put out (within the 2.5A limit) was consistently pretty close to the stated voltage and I'd be curious to see if the tox is reasonably consistent too. Another thing I was wondering about is the battery life but I'm sure as more people start getting the kits and testing them we'll see how it performs. Thanks for posting your thoughts, and I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm kinda starting to feel the same way bizzyb0t! I've seen multiple people that have gone from the LT > ProVari, and their main complaint is that they didn't just get the ProVari first, basically saying the money they thought they'd save with the LT was negated since they ended up buying both (and had to sell the LT, or kept it as a backup). Yeah, $212 is a good chunk of change, but if it's the last mod you'll need to buy and you can upgrade at a very reasonable price ($20 for v1>v2), it's looking more and more like it's worth the extra $$.

I'm about halfway through the pbusardo review, gonna finish it here in a minute. His review answered a lot of my questions about the LT, his ProVari review looks to be equally as helpful!

That's what I did. I sold the LT and added some kgo batts for a real good deal. Now i have the provari and a Kens VV as a back up. I never been happier. One rule of thumb I have now when it comes to PVs is to buy American made..

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
The weight, and also the one button interface are the only things I dislike about the Provari. I'm infamous, when trying to set an alarm on a digital clock or something... just for blowing right past the time I need, then having to go thru whole 12 hour digital scroll again before I get back to proper time (this is with those cheapo digital travel clocks that have 1 button alarm set function). From what I can tell with the Phil B review, and the tons of others I've seen, that's super similar to how you handle commands w Provari. Plus, it is very very heavy. I have a severe amplified pain disorder, so I've actually wondered if the constant repetitive motion with a device that heavy would be physically uncomfortable for me. Silly, I know, but washing my hair is often difficult, and so you can see the problem. If I had the money, and it was a real option, I'm sure I'd find a way around those two little details, though, cause they are really awesome.

Oh yeah, as long as you're not over that 2.5 amps... really pushing the envelope with dc's at low res, or wanting to vape em between 5 and 6, the LTs are surprisingly precise. I'm praying the Tox is, too... but honestly, I'm certainly going to do the testing, cause I'm curious. But the results I get on the faulty head are probably going to differ significantly from the results on new one. I'll make note of exactly what I'm testing, though, so I can go thru exact same set of controls and parameters once the new one shows up. ;)

I need to track down someone with a mini and standard size LT, and ask em for a precise length width measurement for each, so I can show yo the difference in size. I think the 18500 size is MUCH smaller than the LT, but I think even once the 18650 tubes are out for the tox ($10 for that, so you'd have all 3 large size options on one device), the tox is still seeming much smaller to me. But I need to check that. Lt's look like batons to me in the vids, but the perspective is often weird, so who knows. But I'll take some photos tomorrow with common objects so you can see size in relation to familiar things, w measurements. And of course I'm giving you this data cause you're moderately interested, but lots of people are asking these things, so hopefully will just give some of the tiny details they need for their decision. I'd be amazed if we didn't see a comparison vid review of LT to Tox from a reputable reviewer within a month, max. That's one to watch, fo sho. ;)

Oh, and I did get a brite idea. I have a few questions I'm asking the manufacturer first at hotvapes, but they're having a coupon code sale on all mods 10% off... so I may very well end up getting a fixed v (3.7/6v depending on stacking or no) Bombshell in the Boop-esque pink color (assuming its available), and have that be my main mod till the fixed Tox shows up. I'm happily vaping it, even w faulty programming... its just not very consistent. So yay! I may well end up with 2 of my 3 ideal pv configurations at the end of this... and then all I'm lacking is provari (crossing fingers for the contest.. but no earthly way am i that lucky!)rofl. But someday. Here's the bombshell if you're curious... btw, this is a rather LARGE mod, but the petal pink one is so me, really. YOu can't see it on the bombshell page, because color isn't listed, but lower left photo on this page shows it off. ;) BTW, you sound like you're really leaning toward Provari at this point, but if there's anything specific you want me to check out tomorrow, let me know. ;) Have a great Friday!
HotVapes coolest vape you ever had

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I need to track down someone with a mini and standard size LT, and ask em for a precise length width measurement for each, so I can show yo the difference in size.

The LT Mini is 3.75" long, not sure about the the full size LT but it's slightly longer than the Provari with the extension cap which measures 4.6". Width the Provari is 0.90" D and the LT, both mini and full versions are basically the same.

Here's a review showing both the Provari with extension cap and the LT, you can see a size comparison just after the 10 minute mark.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...review-knight-rider-lava-tube-vs-provari.html

Last edited:

MegaT4ever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
MA
After watching that Video I am sad I bought a LT now :( guess im going to have to save up and buy me a V2 or a Mini. I have been vaping on and off now Since Dec. after using the LT this device really turned me off not satisfied at all. Too much fumbling around to get the right voltage/flavor, not very sturdy, a bit long, not very pocket friendly. Now im back to using my Silver Bullet until I can find a VV mod that i am happy with.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
We all spent so much money on smoking cigarettes, $8 a pack, burning holes in cloths, car seats, furniture, trust me the $200 for a provari that you know will last will not be regretted..it is the best ..IMO

Plus once you get into this mod for $79, then another mod for $69, then maybe a backup LT for $65, plus batteries for the different models, and you're already there.

I got my satin Provari with 2 batteries and charger for $200 shipped. I spent ~$360/month smoking.

carlton

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
Albuquerque
The longer you wait to buy any sort of electronics, the better. As a general rule, the longer you wait, the more prices drop and the more innovation occurs. This is a little bit different in the vaping world, as a lot of modders get to a sweet spot and stop, but the Chinese are pushing back lately and ecf is pushing safety features, so I'd expect some movement. If you're relatively satisfied where you're at, I'd say wait a few months. I'm particularly excited to see some modders get a hold of that promised Kick mod board from evolv.

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
I'll make my post simple and I may repeat something above as it was too long for me to read. Most VV tube mods are too long to fit well in a pocket. I chose to go with a 3.7 mod myself for my "on the go" mod. See both my mods in my signature. But a box mod may be just as big but its shape makes it fit much better in your pocket. Something to think about, I'm not going to suggest any particular models since I've never owned any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread