Lawmakers protect public from 2nd hand smokeless tobacco "smoke"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
More and more localities are banning use of smokeless tobacco, and vaping outdoors, in parks and/or other areas. Some even ban NRT. Until now, there've been some pretty sick reasons cited, but the reason stated in this new ban, in a village in upstate New York, is a new one to me:

Watertown Daily Times | Village officials adopt new local law regarding tobacco use
MASSENA — Village officials have adopted a local law that prohibits tobacco use near village-owned and leased buildings.

Tobacco products include cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, bidis, snus, dissolvable tobacco products and the Electronic Nicotine Delivery System.

A first violation within a calendar year would be subject to a $50 fine. Subsequent violations within a calendar year will each be subject to a $100 fine. The policy will be enforced by the Massena Police Department.

“I think it’s long overdue,” Trustee Matthew J. LeBire said Tuesday following a public hearing that drew no comment from the audience.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Trustee Francis J. Carvel said, noting it was difficult to walk through the smoke generated by people who were standing near village facilities.
It seems this has been 'encouraged' with money from dark places:
Village officials have been working with the Seaway Valley Prevention Council on the local law. Chelsea Bartlett, the organization’s community engagement coordinator, told trustees last month that they had received a grant called “Enhancing Tobacco-Free Communities,” and their focus was to concentrate on policy changes.
From the comments section:
Didn't know that snuff, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, bidis, snus, dissolvable tobacco products and the Electronic Nicotine Delivery System produced smoke. Live and learn. Whatever, Akwesasne will be all too happy to see the smokers and smokeless product users visit their town more often. Seriously, was the grant worth selling your principles and your citizens to the pharma funded anti-smoker cartel? Did you ever wonder why they didn't force you to ban nicotine patches, gum, inhalers, lozenges, as well? After all nicotine is nicotine, no? Hint: They are peddled by Big Pharma and their anti-smoker mouthpieces!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
What is there to say when confronted with such lunacy?

Seaway Valley Prevention Council...
Staff - Seaway Valley Prevention Council

Phone: (315) 713-4861

Contact Us:
Contact Us - Seaway Valley Prevention Council

How has it gone so far out of perspective?
Because we let it.

Time to stop the madness.
It's even worse, with what I found. Here's an article from before they actually passed the law:

Watertown Daily Times | Village officials schedule public hearing on prohibition of tobacco use near village venues
Mr. Currier said the village has been working with the Seaway Valley Prevention Council, and trustees heard a presentation this week from Chelsea Bartlett, the organization’s community engagement coordinator.

Ms. Bartlett said it had received a grant called “Enhancing Tobacco-Free Communities,” and the focus was to concentrate on policy changes. She said the council works with organizations such as housing authorities and parks and recreation to come up with regulations governing the use of tobacco products.
Then there's this quote from Chelsea Bartlett:
“Every day you learn more and more about e-cigarettes. They contain most of the same chemicals that cigarettes do. The longer they’re out, the more we learn. We also know that, because it’s not just smoke, but also water vapor, that water is going into people’s lungs and causing pneumonia. That water is staying right in your lungs,” she said.

Thanks for posting their contact info.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Staff - Seaway Valley Prevention Council
Chelsea Bartlett
Community Engagement Coordinator
Chelsea is the Advancing Tobacco Free Communities Coordinator that works through the Advancing Tobacco Free St. Lawrence, Jefferson and Lewis Communities Grant based at the Seaway Valley Prevention Council. Chelsea has a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Community Health. She works with the Bureau of Tobacco Control to reduce the presence of tobacco in our community. Chelsea has been with the council for two years.
Is she incredibly misinformed, or entirely corrupt?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Jesus Christ.

And the world somehow seems to keep spinning around.
I'd like to know when the next stop is so I can get off.

I'm thinking eugenics is sounding better and better, if we could just find a way to test for sub-normal IQs in the womb. :facepalm:

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm thinking eugenics is sounding better and better, if we could just find a way to test for sub-normal IQs in the womb. :facepalm:
I am pretty sure the "powers that be" don't mind sub-normal IQs at all.
In fact, they probably prefer that.

Darwin is likely rolling over in his grave.
Along with the founders of the United States of America.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I am pretty sure the "powers that be" don't mind sub-normal IQs at all.
In fact, they probably prefer that.

Darwin is likely rolling over in his grave.
Along with the founders of the United States of America.

Totally agree, in both cases. Trying to save people from themselves is so completely irrational, from an evolutionary point of view. And I'm pretty sure they'd have laughed themselves blue in the face about all the smoking bans. And then lit their pipes and/or cigars.

Andria

Reactions: DC2

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
They should also remove the torch from the Statue of Liberty. Torches emit smoke. Even if it's symbolic smoke, we shouldn't glorify smoking. Didn't we already learn that lesson with movies depicting smoking? :D
And then there's incense, and candles - especially scented candles, all giving off toxic smoke and given a pass.

Candle smoke could be as dangerous as cigarette smoke

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/cand...angerous-as-cigarette-smoke/21051620_35332328
http://www.kspr.com/news/local/cand...angerous-as-cigarette-smoke/21051620_35332328
Could church incense be banned as ‘legal high’?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11869843/Could-church-incense-be-banned-as-legal-high.html

Incense Smoke Could Be More Dangerous Than Cigarettes!
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...be-more-dangerous-than-cigarettes-244624.html
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...be-more-dangerous-than-cigarettes-244624.html

Reactions: DC2

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Agreed. We should de-normalize smoke in all forms. It was a bad idea from the beginning.

Boil your food using an electric range, drive electric vehicle, use hydro power etc. No fires allowed. Ever. Fire was the Devil's invention. Not incidentally Hell is depicted full of fires, flames and smoke. We should have noticed this divine message way earlier.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Agreed. We should de-normalize smoke in all forms. It was a bad idea from the beginning.

Boil your food using an electric range, drive electric vehicle, use hydro power etc. No fires allowed. Ever. Fire was the Devil's invention. Not incidentally Hell is depicted full of fires, flames and smoke. We should have noticed this divine message way earlier.

Hate to tell you but even using an electric range to boil your food will create the same type "smoke" that vaping creates. Sushi anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread