Lawmakers urge the FDA to temporarily clear e-cigarettes from market amid Covid pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
IDK.
They're discussing this in the COVID-19 thread in the OUTSIDE! Too. I almost put this in "legislation" but then again, it's just a letter and "general news" at this point.

I'm hoping that it doesn't come to action, particularly since the BT tobacco lobby is so heavily invested in e-cig devices and finagling with the FDA over the years. I suspect it will die an ignored-death.

• Informative
Reactions: Wow1420

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
IDK.
They're discussing this in the COVID-19 thread in the OUTSIDE! Too. I almost put this in "legislation" but then again, it's just a letter and "general news" at this point.

I'm hoping that it doesn't come to action, particularly since the BT tobacco lobby is so heavily invested in e-cig devices and finagling with the FDA over the years. I suspect it will die an ignored-death.

Just say'n that the FSTCA Doesn't give the FDA the Authority to Ban a "Certain Class of Tobacco Products"

The Tobacco Control Act does not:

The law makes clear that FDA's role is to regulate and protect the public health, but it places a few restrictions on FDA's powers. FDA cannot:

• Require prescriptions to purchase tobacco products.
  • Require the reduction of nicotine yields to zero.
  • Ban face-to-face sales in a particular category of retail outlets.
  • Ban certain classes of tobacco products.
Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act

So I'm wondering under what Authority the FDA could use to implement such a Ban?

BTW - Our friend Raja Krishnamoorthi doesn't make Any mention as to How the FDA could Legally Ban all e-Cigarettes. She also makes No Mention about Banning regular Cigarettes.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/08/11/2020.08.11.rk.to.fda.re.vaping.and.coronavirus.pdf

BTW2 - This all based on 1 Study out of Stanford. Right?

Association Between Youth Smoking, Electronic Cigarette Use, and Coronavirus Disease 2019 - ScienceDirect

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Got to smile about this one:
Surprisingly, exclusive ever-use of combustible cigarettes was only associated with COVID-19–related testing, whereas both past 30-day use and ever-use of e-cigarettes and dual use were associated with COVID-19 testing and positive diagnosis.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
They boast about it being national as if that is a positive attribute. But it's exactly the opposite, because the epidemic is at different stages in different places. That alone makes it quite meaningless for anything. They noted that "being in a state with 11%–20% positive COVID-19 cases made a person nearly five times more likely to be diagnosed positive (95% CI: 1.19–21.39)."

The confidence intervals in all findings were quite wide, which shows that the data couldn't be sliced any smaller to compensate for all the possible confounders.

There was selection bias, because subjects were recruited "using a survey Web link on gaming sites, social media, customer loyalty portals, and through website intercept recruitment."

And there was no actual evidence, just subjects' say-so about their testing status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread