Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Juul bought ads on CartoonNetwork.com, NickJr.com, other kid sites, suit says
Popular e-cigarette maker juul intentionally and egregiously tailored its marketing to appeal to underage youth, according to a lawsuit filed by Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey on February 12.
juul also bought advertisements on teen and kid-oriented websites. In addition to Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network sites, it purchased ads on sites including allfreekidscrafts.com, hellokids.com, and kidsgameheroes.com. juul targeted sites used by young girls, including dailydressupgames.com, didigames.com, forhergames.com, games2girls.com, girlgames.com, and girlsgogames.com.

Ahem. Didn't Juul's founders sell for over a billion each? Yes, here it is: "Juul Founders Crowned Billionaires". Could be the Sackler model; wonder if they've already moved the cash to offshore shell accounts?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Ahem. Didn't Juul's founders sell for over a billion each? Yes, here it is: "Juul Founders Crowned Billionaires". Could be the Sackler model; wonder if they've already moved the cash into offshore shell accounts.
I guess all those "children's" sites that took the advertising dollars of an e cigarette business are completely innocent.
Those poor companies, forced to take all that "dirty" money from that evil kid addicting company...my heart breaks.

Maura needs a mirror.

Cheers
I

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Their actions have been so flagrantly stupid that it makes me suspect they're secretly working for Tobacco Control. That's how I began to suspect the cigarette companies, too. All it takes is big money to buy up voting stock and elect their stooges to the board, who then approve the executives. Taking over companies is all in a day's work for big Wall Street types, so there is nothing unlikely about this theory. And their plan was to make the companies do things to play into the hands of grandstanding scummy politicians. The children, as well as all the adults who enjoy the products, are just nobodies who don't matter.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I guess all those "children's" sites that took the advertising dollars of an e cigarette business are completely innocent.
Those poor companies, forced to take all that "dirty" money from that evil kid addicting company...my heart breaks.

Maura needs a mirror.

Cheers
I
An excellent point there.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This just can't be true? Is it? Is it? Is it?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think there may soon be a new set of cartoon characters and the hero gonna be Mango Juul.

He is gonna have little arms and legs, and (if juul is suicidal enough) he will be powered like Astro boy was until he got to America, via a jet pack in the .....

I have to laugh or I will cry.

Well, this is a LONG game from Juul. I'm still not sure I believe it but oy.
Anna

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Don't know the veracity of the claims. Though hard to imagine these salacious claims without evidence (though has happened). Would well explain why prior CEO was so quickly shown the door and his successor quickly wrote-off two-thirds of their products and halved their revenues when confronted by the FDA. Our nation's failure to hold responsible individuals to account in corporate wrongdoing is real, manifest, and a serious issue, e.g. Wall Street fraud, opiate distribution, etc. As my 12 year old frequented one of the math sites listed, if it's as depicted, yes -- shut Juul down and prosecute those responsible. Contracts always carry a malfeasance clause and Altria can claw back the money they paid. Hopefully, whoever then fills this niche will act more responsibly.

Last edited:

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

Ahem. Didn't Juul's founders sell for over a billion each? Yes, here it is: "Juul Founders Crowned Billionaires". Could be the Sackler model; wonder if they've already moved the cash to offshore shell accounts?
How could the 'enforcers' not pick up on this and shut it down before massive damage was done? It's almost as if it was allowed in order to create a huge problem intentionally. Who even approved these ads on children's networks? What has this world come to...?

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia

One of the commenters on the article you posted believes that the ads could have been mistakenly placed on the kid sites by automated software without Juul's knowledge.

I work in digital advertising technology and have for some time. There are multiple ways to place ads on specific websites some of which are automated through the use of software, some are through a direct agreement with the specific publisher. When using software to place ads the platforms allow users to configure a number of targeting parameters including, but not limited to, geographic area, demographic information, device, and of course, specific websites. The default configuration for the majority of ad tech platforms is to target everything and everyone and its incumbent upon the user to set the targeting parameters to meet the criteria of the campaign. If the advertiser has specific brand safety restrictions (in this case Juul most certainly should eg. not targeting children or sites popular with children) then it's up to them to adhere to those restrictions by using the advertising software correctly.

That being said, this is a complex industry with many variables. Advertisers often work with dozens of different vendors who execute campaigns on their behalf. These vendors are either using their own tech or a 3rd party platform to build campaigns, set targeting, and ultimately avoid any people/websites which should not be targeted with that brand's advertisements. For a larger advertiser this could mean many people at varying levels of experience operating hundreds if not thousands of individually configured campaigns all of which need to be set up correctly to avoid these sites/apps. It doesn't take much of a slip up at all at any level in this process for an advertiser to land in some hot water (see the great corporate ads before ISIS beheading video debacle of 2015). Exacerbating the issue, targeted advertising campaigns are often optimized toward a particular goal based on user engagement. If Juul was serving ads to children's websites and children were frequently clicking on them then the software itself would likely identify those websites as a winning strategy and automatically shift more budget to them.

I don't smoke, don't particularly like Juul, and wouldn't find it hard to believe that they are intentionally advertising to children. However, I want readers to understand how easy it is for something like this to happen by mistake given the current standards of the industry. If we think those standards should be changed perhaps that's a different conversation.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Don't know the veracity of the claims. Though hard to imagine these salacious claims without evidence (though has happened). Would well explain why prior CEO was so quickly shown the door and his successor quickly wrote-off two-thirds of their products and halved their revenues when confronted by the FDA. Our nation's failure to hold responsible individuals to account in corporate wrongdoing is real, manifest, and a serious issue, e.g. Wall Street fraud, opiate distribution, etc. As my 12 year old frequented one of the math sites listed, if it's as depicted, yes -- shut Juul down and prosecute those responsible. Contracts always carry a malfeasance clause and Altria can claw back the money they paid. Hopefully, whoever then fills this niche will act more responsibly.
Was Juul really motivated by financial gains in their actions? As screwed up as these practices are, I have a hard time believing that someone with the intelligence to create and guide a company that made billions of dollars, from the ground up, would be capable of being stupid enough not to realize blatantly marketing to children in the USA would have very serious consequences. Unless, however, they were directed to do so by some powerful people.

Last edited:

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi

Maura needs a mirror.

Cheers
I

Agreed.
The allegations (if true)
Point to a breakdown at EVERY level

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is Marlboro still involved? Don't they want some money back? Perhaps this was activity on their part to do so, or maybe they went in with the INTENT to murder Juul and they didn't care what it cost.

OMG I live with a conspiracy theorist. It's all making sense though. LOLOLOL

Anna

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Is Marlboro still involved? Don't they want some money back? Perhaps this was activity on their part to do so, or maybe they went in with the INTENT to murder Juul and they didn't care what it cost.

OMG I live with a conspiracy theorist. It's all making sense though. LOLOLOL

Anna

Fairly certain the malfeasance predated Altria's purchase of Juul i.e. happened under the tutelage of Juul's founders, now billionaires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread