Lazy trick to turn blue LEDs violet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
I was just reminded of this and some of y'all might find it useful if you prefer a 'pink' LED or some color but don't feel like tearing components out.

While LEDs emit a single wavelength you're generally stuck with, certain dyes have interesting effects under blue light. I've muted a few painfully intense blue LEDs in computer cases by wedging in 'fluorescent' Post-It paper, orange or magenta, the former coming up actually-somewhat-reddish, the latter more of a violet glow. It took multiple layers of material to render those non-eye-searing, so a single layer may not effect the brightness of your LED much, and enough of the original blue light will leak out around the edges that it shouldn't impact your ability to tell it's lit. If that bothers you, wrap the paper in tighter around the LED if it's possible... or you could use 'dots' cut with a hole punch for a different effect, possibly even using the original adhesive to hold them in place inside your cap/crystal (the orange might give you the reverse of a 'blue dot' tail-light look).

If you have to search out the material at Staples or the like, you could unscrew a manual battery or bring a LED penlight to check the effect in the store.

---
Relatively flammable paper near a lithium battery may not be the best idea, but if your battery does go up for some reason I'd expect the tiny scrap of paper would be the least of your worries.
---

One thing I wonder about: Have the manufacturers not thought of making the LEDs part of the tip cap and a vendor or user snap-in? That would do away with some of the stock-keeping nightmare re: offering multiple colors, and maybe reduce costs, while making it easier for people to find the color they want. (That said, I've made peace with blue... it's the 'standard,' and my peripheral vision can't tell anyway.)

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Very neat idea, I'll have to give that a shot. I'm growing tired of the standard blue color, even something slightly different would be less boring to look at. Variety is the spice of life.

Also, I am sure the vendors could design it so that the LED is incorporated into the cap. Of course, it would be less expensive to produce. Although, on the other hand by keeping the light as part of the battery they can force you to buy a whole new battery if you want a color change; more profit for them.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
Remember if using a bigger batt mod with LEDs, you can always turn the battery around. Diodes (the "D" in LED) only let electrons flow one way.

MANY people (including myself) go to a big battery mod because they are sick of dealing with changing batteries every few hours, so I thought I'd point this out.

I did drop my 1st eCig on the driveway (and was unable to find), the cap over the LED fell off upon striking the ground. I usually held my hand over the LED side of ecigs more after that, and usually at in the terminal of the airport... THE RED LED WAS WAY TOO BRIGHT!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread