The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

LCD Meter Volts/Ohms/Amps/Batt Charge Indicator Wiring for Regulated Mods...

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by mamu, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mamu

mamu Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    Displays input voltage, output voltage, ohms, amps, and batt charge level.

Just need to get it in a Raptor 20A mod now. woot! :laugh:

[​IMG]

2. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
  3. rinoaa52r

rinoaa52r Full Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Alton, IL USA
    Is this custom made? Where can I get one for a mod I'm working on?

4. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
  5. Visus

Visus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I see you wired up the programming button.. Made it easier for testing duh' but--->
    Is it one time set and forget programming or every batt swap it has to be reprogrammed?

6. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    All I can say about that friggin programming button, Visus, is don't mess with it. After playing around with it I somehow put it in PAS mode whatever that is, and now I've got a mucked up meter. After hours of trying to reset and trying this and that no-go - everything is off with accuracy - all readings are way high. :(

I've got a request in for help from the seller, so am waiting on a reply.

Curious cat shouldn't be so curious lol

7. Visus

Visus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Its in a calibration mode but how to set and lock it in picture instruction is in mandarin..
    http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?spm=0.0.0.0.zeFeBW&depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&u=http://detail.1688.com/offer/43615853410.html&usg=ALkJrhi9moVVg90KYs4k1JgESbq-oqBTFA

Just need someone who can interpret it now..

meterlcd.jpg

Attached Files:

8. rhelton

rhelton Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2014
    spokane, wa
    Geez thats bargain at twice the price

9. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    What that's telling you, Visus, is to calibrate the meter you will need to short the calibration button (i.e., press the switch if it's hooked to a switch) and apply 10V source, 1A load.

I have a DC power supply so no biggie with 10V. I don't have a 10 ohm power resistor that will handle 10W though, so will need to get one.

ETA: I heard back from the seller...

Calibration method:
    1. to short circuit connect the calibration point .(see the enclosure)
    2. At the same time adding 10V input voltage and 1A load current
    3. If the final screen display PAS ,and back to normal after 1 second,so calibration success
    4. power off, disconnect the calibration points, with electricity can test again.

10. g2shuck

g2shuck Senior Member Verified Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I know this says regulated box. But could this be used in an unregulated box to monitor your batteries, voltage output, and ohm load?

11. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    Yes, this meter can be used in an unreg mod. Best not to exceed its 10A limit though, although I've read where some are pushing it past that with no issues and some are causing it to fail when pushing higher amps.

12. g2shuck

g2shuck Senior Member Verified Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Can you wire it inline with the switch after the mosfet to keep amp load on it down or would that skew the readings?

13. rolf

rolf Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    spokane wa
    fantastic find mamu !
    just ordered one to play with ...

14. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2013
    Arlington, Texas - USA
    What are the dimensions of that screen? And is it backlit?

15. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    Mory Raptor 20A 120W with LCD meter (displays input volts, batt status indicator, output volts, ohms, amps).

3D printed C frame, sleeve, dual 18650 batt sled, and parts harnesses. The first one shown is woodFill from ColorFabb. The second one (not wired yet) is blue ABS frame, blue ABS dual 18650 batt sled, and black ABS sleeve.

I pre-wired the meter and Raptor before placing in the case, everything else was wired/soldered while in the case... fun NOT lol.

510 connector from Rob Ellard of StealthVape. Mums the word on details for now, but I really like it! Has two especially well thought out features that make it one of the best 510 connectors available to modders. One feature especially all 510 connectors should have but as far as I know none do yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. tchavei

tchavei Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2014
    Portugal
    I agree on the connector. I had never such low ohm readings as now. Standard 28g ni 200, 10 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel always read 0.14 on my mods. With the new 510 I got it down to 0.11 ohm and the center pin is massive :)

I like your builds very much. I'm more of a mini sized mod fan but your work looks like art to me :)

Congrats.

Regards
    Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

17. bfu9278

bfu9278 Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    HeartOfsilverState-MY-
    Hello to all,
    Anybody can check up my wiring here....the meter can't show reading of ohm and ampere,only showing voltage reading for input and the output....

[​IMG]

thanks...

18. mamu

Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    I've found that there seems to be converter interference with amp and ohm readings if the meter's input/output is connected to any pin of the converter, so take the meter wiring off the pins of the OKR for the +510 and -Batt and wire as I show below and see if that solves the problem.
    [​IMG]

The DPDT switch needs to handle current. If you're not using a rated switch, you'll need to add an N-FET to take the current load off the switch and wire like this... and remember keep the meter wiring off the converter.
    [​IMG]

19. Podunk Steam

Podunk Steam Unresolved Status ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Nice! I think I know of someone looking for something very much like this. Thanks Mamu!

20. bfu9278

bfu9278 Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    HeartOfsilverState-MY-
    Thanks Mamu for your reply,
    Actually the above circuit was only for my reference for doing the wiring...
    Below is the actual picture of my test bed...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I should shorten the wire length more...after today I've rewiring as per your suggestion
    but the result still the same with just voltage reading available...
    Any chance that my meter actually fault rather than the wiring method?
    Will update back when I've rewire/reroute properly...
    Thanks.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.