Status
Not open for further replies.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I seriously wonder:
For mobile/smart phones, there were always either silicone or leather skins/covers available for all models, and always for reasonable prices. But I have yet to see leather skins/covers for our beloved mods. How come? I would very much LOVE to have a light blue leather wrap for my Espion mod... but of course there is none to buy. And tailoring is not among my craftsman skills :ß

Don't we have some artistically gifted people here who could produce these things?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can find those things on amazon, ebay and places like Vaporskinz (I forget how it's spelled sorry) or J-wraps. Etsy can also probably make you a whatever you desire type thing but so can many other places, for example I think J-wraps (and I'm sure there are many more accessory vendors around too) will allow you to design your wrap or choose the preprinted design and etc.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Eskie and Myk

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Vaporskinz..or J-wraps.
Those are all vinyl/printed stuff. I'm looking for a real meaty leather skin. Like the ones we used to have for our mobile phones.

Etsy can also probably make you a whatever you desire ...
Ah, that's a good idea. I already tried finding local tailor services but the ones I got replies from aren't sufficiently versed in the art of leather works.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I seriously wonder:
For mobile/smart phones, there were always either silicone or leather skins/covers available for all models, and always for reasonable prices. But I have yet to see leather skins/covers for our beloved mods. How come? I would very much LOVE to have a light blue leather wrap for my Espion mod... but of course there is none to buy. And tailoring is not among my craftsman skills :ß

Don't we have some artistically gifted people here who could produce these things?

As Anna pointed out there are plenty of vinyl skins for ecigs. Even some with leatherette textures. There are also some silicone cases, although I hate the way they look.

You speak of silicone and leather as if they're interchangeable.
A leather phone case takes a little wet molding because one half of the big sides is open. A leather mod case would need to be sewn and then need to stretch to cover the the whole mod except for some button holes and screen. When you stretch molded leather it unmolds. You probably want to change your batteries sometimes so that means constant stretching. And then there's liquid from leaking tanks, that will instantly unmold the leather. I even wonder how durable the non-wallet style leather cases for phones are.
Leather is thick and even light weight would interfere with button pushing. The lighter the weight the less it wants to hold its molded shape.
I don't see leather cases like for phones being practical. However I have been considering leather tank bands to match these. But they would probably be too thin to hold tooling or be much protection for the glass (and there's the spill problem).

Legends_2888.JPG

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I seriously wonder:

I checked Serenity Gear Leather but they appear to be closed, they did great custom work, mostly for Provari.

I had nice leather holster on lanyard when I had the original eVic tube mod. Can't use a belt attached one. Carry, .45, 2 spare mags, flashlight, gloves, CAT tourniquet, keys, trauma shears, knife, etc... no space left.

Take a look here, look under holsters and cap shields, they mention custom holsters but not clear if they mean custom artwork on existing stock sizes or truly custom holsters to match your particular mod. Custom Leather Ecig Holster

Not all that impressive E cig holster | Etsy

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I checked Serenity Gear Leather but they appear to be closed, they did great custom work, mostly for Provari.

I had nice leather holster on lanyard when I had the original eVic tube mod. Can't use a belt attached one. Carry, .45, 2 spare mags, flashlight, gloves, CAT tourniquet, keys, trauma shears, knife, etc... no space left.

Take a look here, look under holsters and cap shields, they mention custom holsters but not clear if they mean custom artwork on existing stock sizes or truly custom holsters to match your particular mod. Custom Leather Ecig Holster

Not all that impressive E cig holster | Etsy

Some of the holster ideas at the first place are pretty good. The vape through designs look like buttons could be hard to get to but you can always take them from the holster to use.
The models of mods makes me wonder if they're still making them. Can't be selling too many Vamo wraps any more.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Some of the holster ideas at the first place are pretty good. The vape through designs look like buttons could be hard to get to but you can always take them from the holster to use.
The models of mods makes me wonder if they're still making them. Can't be selling too many Vamo wraps any more.

I wouldn't think so. I remember when Vamo 5 was on my list of potential new mods, went with the eVic tube mod. I can still remember everyone hear hating on the eVic tube because it displayed to much information :lol: Compared to some of todays mods the eVic was rather tame.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I wouldn't think so. I remember when Vamo 5 was on my list of potential new mods, went with the eVic tube mod. I can still remember everyone hear hating on the eVic tube because it displayed to much information :lol: Compared to some of todays mods the eVic was rather tame.

Also ahead of its time with what is now called curves that you set up with computer software like a DNA.

I'm looking at my beat up Cuboid and wondering about contact cement and 2-3oz leather.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
You might look into who the local gun shops use for custom leather work for holsters. Not as many as there use to be, many have switched from leather to Kydex. Good leather smiths are not cheap though if they produce a quality product.

I use a lot of Kydex products but I still use my one and only custom leather holster from Diamond D Custom Leather in Wasilla, AK a real thing of beauty. You’ll never hear anyone describe Kydex as a thing of beauty.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Also ahead of its time with what is now called curves that you set up with computer software like a DNA.

I'm looking at my beat up Cuboid and wondering about contact cement and 2-3oz leather.

I still have 5 or 6 eVic tube mods in the backup to backups box and a couple Kanger ProTank 2s with the added airflow mod for each of the eVics.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You might look into who the local gun shops use for custom leather work for holsters. Not as many as there use to be, many have switched from leather to Kydex. Good leather smiths are not cheap though if they produce a quality product.

I use a lot of Kydex products but I still use my one and only custom leather holster from Diamond D Custom Leather in Wasilla, AK a real thing of beauty. You’ll never hear anyone describe Kydex as a thing of beauty.

After I finished my Glock shoulder holster I tweeted "Whatever you're paying a custom holster maker, it's not enough." A lot of work goes into it.

Kydex may not be beautiful but that would be a good thing to make formed mod cases out of. That should hold up to taking it in and out for battery doors. Tandy sells it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm usually unimpressed by leatherwork unless it's really awesome and high quality leather. Other people are just leather people in general, and like many more leather things than I do, etc. I'm just overall not that impressed with leather unless it's like, too expensive for me to buy or something.

I really am unlikely to pick leather anything unless it's shoes or something. Or unless it's @Myk 's legends those really are nicely done.

Based on my experiences at summer camp I am going to state that leather is a really hard material to work with, and everyone's tastes are different, and etc. My husband is pretty good with leather but FAR better with wood and I'm far less impressed with some of his leather efforts than other stuff.

LOL, speaking of the husband (we have a do not communicate order upon first awakening) he did just wander RIGHT past me, and sans coffee, usher the little dog outside with much encouragement and chirpy words and then like, wandered right PAST me, I KNEW he liked the little dog better than me LOL.

We had mega major storms last night which is the only time the dog can come in, because he is not housetrained. I am firmly convinced the dog is "Training" the husband, because the husband came in yesterday and was like, "He told me he wanted to go into the yard! The big yard for a walk, he kept insisting!"
"Uh huh," I said, "and what is the meteorological forecast for this evening, then?"

This may be the reason the husband likes the dog better than me. Still.

I wonder how dog hide is as a leather?

Anna

Reactions: Myk

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I have found loads of leather cases on etsy.
There is also a company out of Thailand that does a lot of leather cases.
I'll see if I can find a link.

The biggest issue I have found with most leather cases is that they make the mod big and overly bulky.
In some cases, it's cheaper to buy a new mod than it is to buy a leather case to protect it.

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Those are all vinyl/printed stuff. I'm looking for a real meaty leather skin. Like the ones we used to have for our mobile phones.

Ah, that's a good idea. I already tried finding local tailor services but the ones I got replies from aren't sufficiently versed in the art of leather works.

Skin as in something that is applied with an adhesive? If so I have never seen a leather skin for a mobile phone. Seen leather cases along with wood, silicone, plastic etc.

The vape market maybe too small and too fragmented to accessorize on a large scale with cases and skins. Everyone has a mobile phone – can’t say the same about vape gear.

I exclusively use 3M dBrand skins for all my mobile devices. Excellent quality and the textured skins have a real authentic look to them. They do not create skins for mods but they do sell large skins for laptops. If creative enough you could purchase a larger skin and cut to desire. I know it is not what you are looking for but given your options it could be a good alternative.

Dbrand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread