Leaving batteries in charger to change location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I would just take the batteries out of the Charger before you Unplug it.

Some/Lots of Electronic things like to "Complete" whatever task they are doing before they have their Power Cords yanked.

Good to know. I've always unplugged the cord before taking the batts out as to take care not to tear the wrappers using both hands.

I have an intellicharger i4 and it virtually unplugs itself if you look at it weird. o_O

Reactions: Plumes.91

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

I have an intellicharger i4 and it virtually unplugs itself if you look at it weird. o_O

My old XTAR VC4 was like that. You had to find the Exact spot for the Power Plug by twisting it for it to turn on. And DON'T even think about Moving it once it is on.

I finally said Enough is Enough and Bashed it with a 24oz Framing Hammer in a truly Cathartic Moment.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Good to know. I've always unplugged the cord before taking the batts out as to take care not to tear the wrappers using both hands.

I would transfer the cells to approved battery storage boxes for transit ( the type that your cells are shipped in).

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I would just grab the charger as it is with batteries in it and plug then at home to finish charge cause I like to live on the edge.....oh yeahhhh :p

My charger is not any smart tho...just a 2 slot most basic xtar 3.99euro

Or just put the batteries on a plastic case I got so it won't short in any metal object while I carry them :p

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I would just grab the charger as it is with batteries in it and plug then at home to finish charge cause I like to live on the edge.....oh yeahhhh :p

My charger is not any smart tho...just a 2 slot most basic xtar 3.99euro

Or just put the batteries on a plastic case I got so it won't short in any metal object while I carry them :p

I was thinking about the tendency of items to slide off the seat into the floorboard during braking. For me, I'd be more comfortable with cells in a snap top box with a rubber band around it in case that happens.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I would transfer the cells to approved battery storage boxes for transit ( the type that your cells are shipped in).

That's what I've always done.

In the past, I can usually get my 4 Samsung 25R batts to finish by the end of my shift. I recently purchased 4 of the Sanyo GA "3500"mah batts and pulled the last one after 12 hrs. lol.

Anyway. So let's say if today, I start charging them in my kitchen, then decide to go out for some errands and move my charger into the garage (placing it in a metal pot with a loose fitting lid. lol. Only did this once ;)), I should first remove the batts, then unplug the charger, plug in the charger at the new location, then reinsert the batts.

• Agree
    Reactions: Hawise

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Here's a visual of my set up.

IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG

Reactions: Train2

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I don't think u would have any problem if u unplug and then plug somewhere else as far as charging goes....
    except maybe if u have like a super smart charger?????? but still if it was smart couldn't it deal with the fact that lost the power for a couple of minutes and continue charge??? :p

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Batteries are in a complete circuit while in a charger, which makes them easier to short circuit. A few years ago, there was a case where a guy started a fire on a plane because of a battery he'd forgotten in a charger.

It's safer to take out the batteries while you travel. The good news is that lion batteries don't mind being interrupted during a charge, so it shouldn't hurt them at all to take them out and put them in a case for the trip.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I always considered external chargers to draw a bit off current from a battery so it would drain a bit if the charger was off or even unplugged. Similar to a battery in a reg mod that's not actually firing. So if my batteries aren't fully charged when I go to bed or I'm going to be away for a while, I remove the batteries. I usually remove a battery from a reg mod at night too. To my somewhat uneducated brain of thought, leaving batteries in an unplugged charger for up to 15 mins or so probably isn't too big an issue, however I wouldn't even think of leaving a battery in a charger while traveling (car, boat, train, plane or bike) or walking anywhere more than a couple hundred feet, even if I had secured the batteries to the charger like with a rubber band or something.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    WWMD? = What Would Mooch Do? :lol:
    Stolen from WWJD? = What Would Jesus Do?

IMHO, common sense says the safest & best practice would be to remove the batteries (and I have a feeling this is what Mooch would do and suggest). It's an easy enough task.
    • They don't fit tight enough for transport, but even if they did...

• They're completing a circuit when they're in the charger and that's something to consider from a safety standpoint.

• I personally don't think it's a good idea to plug-in or unplug a charger with batteries in it (this is based on feelings, not science). This seems especially important to me when you have an obviously faulty power connection, which would prompt me to replace whatever it is that's causing this issue. If it's the cord, replace the cord, if it's the connector on the charger, get a new charger. Cords and chargers are too cheap to let a faulty power connection go unaddressed. JMHO.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread