leaving mod in the hot car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
i started vaping in nov.. meaning, it was autumn down here. through winter and spring, my rta did great in the car. today, the temp went up to 88 C. my rta which is fine in my house was leaking really bad. when i came home, i cleaned it up, and it stopped leaking.

took it out again for another errand. started leaking again. when i came home and let it rest at home temp.. no more leak.

is RTA tend have this issue in hot car? i'm using tfgt II clone on penny clone.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I remember when I was new to vapeing. I was using an Ego battery and Vivi Nova tank. I went to a lunch date and left my setup in the glovebox. This was summer, very hot out. When I got back to my car I found my tank was empty, my glovebox full. I learned the hard way what was stated here, high temps thin your liquid. Don't leave your vape in a hot car :(

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Physics 101 ... Rise in temperature causes matter to expand.
Sure, on something that small it may need an electron microscope to measure it. Add to it the thinning liquid and it gets messy.
I keep the bulky stuff at home. For work it's mostly 900mAh. Left one in the car in the sun myself by mistake. Got almost too hot to touch.
Still works but charge drains faster. Figure that the heat upset the chemistry in the battery some. Not gonna forget them again.
Not intent on finding out if battery can cook off when left in a hot car too long...

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I saw there answer to this in another post.

Store the mod/tank upside down in the car. Rightside up, the vent holes are covered by liquid with air above that. The air gets heated, with no escape and pushes the juice out the center post/seals.

Upside down however, the air can escaped out the vents as it expands.

You may get a bit-o-seepage, but not much.

I put the iS30 upside down in a large Styrofoam cup, against the forward firewall of the passenger's floorboard. Cooler down there.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I carry an empty, child proof pill bottle with me when it's hot outside, or simply leave it in the car. The brown/yellow ones with the screw on tops?

They're air tight. If you grab one that's tall enough for your tank and drip tip to fit, simply put your tank in the empty pill bottle, and screw the top on. Now you can leave it in the car, no problem.

The problem is air pressure... when it gets hot, the air and juice expands in your tank, and finds it's way out. Same thing happens if you take a tank on a pressurized plane... your juice will expand, and find it's way out, and all over the friggin place!

Stick the tank in an air tight pill box... problem solved! I've NEVER had a tank leak when I've done this, and I've left tanks in very hot cars, stored in an empty pill box.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
This happened to me the first summer in the desert where the temperature might get to be 121°f during the day and only down to 105°f overnight. But... While my Kanger AeroTank leaks like a sieve if I leave it in the car, my Nautilus 5ml tank does not. I can't explain that as I've seen plenty of people tell me that their Nautilus tank floods and leaks at the drop of a hat where as mine has sat in the hot car in the summer in the desert when visiting my brother at the hospital for 4 to 5 hours at a time.

I just found out that my new KangerTech SubTank also exhibits this leaking as well from sitting even if it's just a warm car for a few hours. I won't do that again! Fortunately it was in the cupholder so it caught any liquid that leaked out and down the backside (thankfully it was the backside so it didn't get into the firing button on my eLeaf 50w) in the cupholder instead of all over my carpets or my seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread