Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
[h=2]Legacy’s (Truth Ads) E-Cigarette “fact” Sheet Critique[/h] Filed under: Miscellaneous Vaping News — 3 Comments
November 26, 2013

The non-profit corporation, Legacy, who is best known for all of those incredibly exaggerated Truth ads about cat pee and such, has published a so-called “fact” sheet aimed at instructing the uninformed masses about the demonic evils of electronic cigarettes. For those of us who have bothered to take a little extra time out of our day in order to actually do some real research on this particular topic, the “facts” contained within the margins of this “fact” sheet are almost laughable, and quite in line with the blunt fear-tactic approach of their Truth commercials and counter-marketing advertisements. Unfortunately, as is all too common with non-profits like this one, their cause has taken on a life of it’s own, and all statistics and bits of information must either conform to a position of loyalty to the cause, or be shoehorned into the same position somehow. So, let’s examine a few of their “factual” claims:

• “Cartridges generally contain up to 20 mg of nicotine:” (It should be noted that Blu and njoy E-cigarette brands are both mentioned just prior to this claim). Assuming they are talking about cartomizers, and of course it would help their position dramatically if they learned the terminology of the industry they purport to be battling, it is simply unheard of for one of these cartridges to hold more than an absolute maximum of 1 (one) ml of e-liquid. Since the nicotine content of e-liquid is measured in mg/ml, it is actually true that these cartridges could contain this much nicotine. However, the simple inclusion of this fact, couched amidst many negative statements about E-cigs, suggests that 20mg is a dangerous amount of nicotine. This fact actually is a real fact, but the wording and particular presentation of this sentence is carefully constructed to make a fact appear dangerous when, in true fact, it is actually quite normal.
  • “…fatal dose of nicotine in adults is estimated at 30–60 mg:” Legacy is practising a little CYA here, by using the word ‘estimated.’ This gives them an escape clause for when someone inevitably screams, “Bull....!” There are many, many E-juice manufacturers who offer a 36mg nicotine-strength liquid in their product line-up. There has yet to be any actual fatalities reported about those who vape 36mg juices. I, myself, have gotten 100mg pre-diluted nicotine solution on my hands and apparently I lived long enough to write this article simply by wiping my hands off on my jeans. Swing and a miss, Legacy!... (Click here to read the rest of the article.)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the one thing your missing with this is we the vaping community use these terms when they are not the true amounts. 36mg ejuice is actually 3.6mg/ml not 36% so the claim is quite accurate as 30 to 60mg strength would be rather strong. 3 to 6 X's what you got on your hands.

as a standard measurement for sale purposes we standardize the amount to a % within a 10ml bottle, then somewhere along the way the decimal was moved over one place and it stayed that way ever since. but make no mistake 20mg is 2 mg in reality and a cartridge using 4 or 5% could very well contain 20mg total. i think the njoy king was rated as 40mg juice so a 4%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread