Legal Issues with selling e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
I've been doing some research about this, and I cannot see how the FDA could consider e-liquid without nic within their jurisdiction. As for the e-cigs themselves, that's up to us. If we cast them in a light that seems to be primarily a nicotine delivery system, that puts it in the realm of FDA. But, if we cast it in a e-liquid delivery light, then that means the FDA cannot consider its primary purpose to deliver nicotine. Does that make sense? From what I've seen, legally speaking, the FDA's sway over personal vaporizers can only hold if the nic continues to be the focus of the product.

Cheers,
-Mickey

thatguyjeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
St. Paul MN, USA
Just because someone from a gov't agency (even the POTUS himself) says something is illegal does not make it so. The judiciary must make a determination based upon the laws as they are in the books at the time.

In other words, something like this (which is pretty much a grey area) will need to go through the court system before anyone really knows if it's illegal or not.

What the FDA can do is push for new legislation that is specific to e-cigs. Though that may not necessarily happen either since that has to go through the legislature.

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
From what I've read the FDA had not declared the sale of e-cigs / nic juice illegal but said it warranted heavy scrutiny? Maybe I missed something. This issue may well be on it's way to an FDA crackdown but everything that I've read points more to a game of chicken right now between the FDA and the e-cig market.

I could be wrong of course.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The entire FDA discussion revolved around the use of an ecig with nicotine in the context of an NRT. The 'combination' of the nicotine juice and the hardware in this context was claimed to be illegal.

There are holes large enough to drive a truck through at this point but I think most people expect some action to be taken on the sale of nicotine liquid in the future.

vapor_addict

Mar 5, 2009
I just heard from a supplier that there may be a ban coming on ecigs from Chinese government:shock:. He suspects that either big pharms or big tobacco is involved with some big payola. This way we can keep killing ourselves with analogs and wasting money on nic patches and they can keep making money. Sounds like "death of the electric car" type of consipiracy:evil:. Can anyone substantiate?

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
Ha ha, Chinese bans and such mean next to nothing. The gov't there is already overextended. Ok, so big tobacco and pharma shut down the chinese. so the japanese pick it up. There's a whole enterprising world, and the sale of e-cigs has been too lucrative to ignore. In fact, the chinese will, in the long run, make more money taxing trade than even big tobacco could payoff.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hey guys, I'm sorry for resurrecting such an old post but I wanted to know the legal status. I have read that it is illegal to market/sell the electronic cigarettes but I have and still do see kiosks in the malls selling them. I want to start a business selling these goodies. What are the chances of me able to do this?

I've actually heard that some US suppliers are having trouble with shipments being stopped.

I've heard of that too but I don't think that's the most of the problems. If I'm making small sales every here and there, would I get busted? I still see malls selling them.

You can get yourself up to speed right here with the pending legal staus of the e-cig---take a read-------Sun

See http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...erywhere-v-fda-daily-docket-sheet-update.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread