LEGO Micro Coil Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDG

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Hi!

Been lurking around this Micro coil threads and thought, hey! I'll try it.

With my stocks 32 gauge Kanthal and 3mm Silica wick, I built my first micro coil. Well not really! Sort of! Plus I did it on a Kanger replacement head coz that's what I have for now.

I built this LEGO Micro coil jig with inspiration of DarkZero's Jig.

IMAG0436.jpg IMAG0437.jpg IMAG0438.jpg

I wrap 8 times on a 1mm screwdriver head that I took out (broken anyway) and used glue gun to make it permanent in the lego block.

Anyway, I got 1.8 ohms. I inserted 1 strand of Silica wick and just added 5 strands for flavor wick.

I'm satisfied with flavor and vapor. :vapor: Will have to stop by CVS and Walgreens to buy that sterile cotton balls and give them a try.

What do you think guys?

MikeDG

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Nice!

although, I gotta admit, I came here expecting to see some little LEGO winch mechanism, or something off a LEGO fishing boat.

btw: 1mm is tiny. If you find yourself burning wick, or lacking flavor, shoot for 1.5-1.6mm

Hahaha! See! the title is catchy!

Anyway, it's good for now... I have it on my Mini Protank 2 and running on 6 watts on my MVP 2. Only have and using the built coil for more or less 6 hours... will see about the flavor and burning issue later... hope not though!

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
hmmmmmmm . . . . there are people . . .. . some people . . .. . who would call a "2.5mm micro" a tightly stacked standard coil . . . . . . . . not me tho. . . . . nope. ;)

after all, 3.5 mm ID . .. . that's bigger than most rolled SS wicks in a drilled out AGA-T, or an RSST with the insulator removed. . . . . . yeah, so "micro"?

. . . . . maybe "mega"

a tightly stacked "mega" coil . .. .

whatever . . . .. semantics .. . . . .

communication . . . . . whatever :)

Nitwit

Apr 22, 2009
I dreamt something like this up...but It had 2 posts. Built for the same purpose as this except it would allow you to build 2 coils at once of any size with it's modular design. Let me demonstrate with a graphic. I will probably never sell something like this so I hope someone steals this idea and manufactures it.

F7Lmdgt.jpg

Attachments

• njig.jpg
    njig.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,694
Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Nice, im thinking for myself why not jut a piece of wood ... On the protank I always went 5/64 drill bit/ or toothpick. perfect size to slide in 3mm silica. And I used no flavor wick. If flavor wicking only use 2 strands - if you have flooding problems. 3/32 works ok but it has to stay tight. Usually the spring back on 32 will make it slightly too big. Increasing the need for flavor wick to keep the coil saturated.. 28 on a 3/32 would probably work good. If in doubt use a tape measure to measure the width of the jig piece.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Nice, im thinking for myself why not jut a piece of wood ... On the protank I always went 5/64 drill bit/ or toothpick. perfect size to slide in 3mm silica. And I used no flavor wick. If flavor wicking only use 2 strands - if you have flooding problems. 3/32 works ok but it has to stay tight. Usually the spring back on 32 will make it slightly too big. Increasing the need for flavor wick to keep the coil saturated.. 28 on a 3/32 would probably work good. If in doubt use a tape measure to measure the width of the jig piece.

Wood works ;)

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
nice! :) only . . . . . . I placed my finger there. . . . . and nothing happened. :?:

Did the same thing....all that happened was.....I put a thumb smudge on my monitor!!!:D
I use a wood block jig similar to Rader's....but instead of a set-screw to allow swapping rod sizes (Clever!!:)) I use a "double-sided" block - 1/16" on one side, 3/64" on the other......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread