Lemon Juice And Salt Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys well i had an atomiser that was not working very well at all, very hard draw, not bad vapour production but throat hit just not there.

I soaked the atomiser in lemon juice and salt over night.

Rinsed it out and blasted out the water with canned air.

The draw seems a lot easier but there is a very funny taste, i also noticed something very strange, when i drip my liquid onto the atomiser it behaves differently, instead of soaking into the wick like it normally does it seems to just either drop through it or shoot right around the edge of it, almost like it's lost it's ability to hold the liquid.

Im wondering if it's something to do with the salt?

Anyways i have decided to soak it in water, it deffinately was an easier draw but early signs on the vapour production and throat hit no real change that i could detect, but it might just need waking up again with plenty of draws and liquid.

Ill keep this updated what happens after the water soak.

Im thinking more and more though like others have said these things should be classed 100% disposable, i.e you buy them for a cheap price like a pound or 2 use them for a couple of days to a week then just put a new one on.

It would save all the hassle, i think the problem at the minute is they are just not seen as disposable and £8.95 for an atomiser is not really a disposable price.

Also if these things were sold as disposable with no returns or guarantees then this would allow the price to drop to a disposable price.

Cheers Lee.

Edit - this test was done on a M401/M402? PiLOT Atomiser
Edit 2 - I also forgot to mention that the colour of the wick does not seem as light as before but now a darker colour, not black but deffinately darker.

Last edited:

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I do not recommed salt. Salt is a mineral.... it will actually leave mineral deposit on your atomizer. You may not see it, but it is in the mesh. Ever notice when salt dries,,, it's white?

I only use this... http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nu-Calgon-4...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110239421392

Of course I rinse it with water when it's done soaking. My atomizer's are like brand new afterwards. Highly recommend.

Pilot M-401!
Tobacco Free 31 Days

Last edited:

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Quality control is bad enough right now. Don't encourage them.:)

Seriously, I could live with a $8USD atomizer that lasts a month. I still have a m401 atomizer soaking in straight lemon juice for about 24 hours now. We'll see how it goes.

Good point, but we are already getting a disposable item at a non-disposable price, i find after a week i am getting nowhere near the performance of a new one.

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I do not recommed salt. Salt is a mineral.... it will acually leave mineral deposit on your atomizer. You may not see it, but it is in the mesh. Ever notice when salt dries,,, it's white?

I only use this... New Nu-Calgon 4207-47 8 oz. Liquid Ice Machine Cleaner - eBay (item 110239421392 end time Apr-26-09 11:44:44 PDT)

Of course I rinse it with water when it's done soaking. My atomizer's are like brand new afterwards. Highly recommend.

I did plan on using lemon juice on it's own to start with but then read on a non e-smoking related site adding salt makes a huge difference to the cleaning power.

Anybody have any idea why this is? There must be a scientific reason?

I also though if i rinsed the salt off before i let it dry it would not leave any deposit but maybe i was wrong?

Im going to check that link now thx.

Cheers Lee.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
If you have salt encrusted in the mesh, dropping the atomizer in some warm water should dissolve it.

I've been thinking about using the ice machine cleaner, just haven't gotten around to purchasing some.

The sh*t works, I can't stress enough! People always seem reluctant to trying it, I don't get it. I guess some people like to dink around and experiment? I just soaked my atomizer overnight with the Nu Colgon.... I am stoking it as I write. It hits like a frieght train! Very clean, e-liquid tastes fresh and delicious! The difference with a clean atomizer is absolutely amazing.
My main atomizer is a month old, still goin' strong! I usually only use my secondary atomizer while the main is soaking.

I LOVE MY PILOT!

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I haven't been able to get any of the ice machine cleaner to try in England but if it really dissolves the black gunk then it must be something else in the cleaner other than the phosphoric acid because I have had some dead coils soaking for many days in 25% and it hasn't dissolved it in the slightest.

Last edited:

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
The sh*t works, I can't stress enough! People always seem reluctant to trying it, I don't get it. I guess some people like to dink around and experiment? I just soaked my atomizer overnight with the Nu Colgon.... I am stoking it as I write. It hits like a frieght train! Very clean, e-liquid tastes fresh and delicious! The differance with a clean atomizer is absoulutely amazing.
My main atomizer is a month old, still goin' strong! I usually only use my secondary atomizer while the main is soaking.

I LOVE MY PILOT!

Did you order the stuff online? I remember a thread I posted on weeks ago with a price around $11-$15 shipped. I have a couple of local sources, but I haven't checked with them for a price on it.

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Nope, it just reads: 75% phosphoric acid. I'm assuming the rest is inert? it's runny, but thicker than water. Maybe the rest is water and gylcerin?

I think thats the reason most people are unsure about trying it, they don't know for sure whats in the 25% but i think im convinced enough to give it a try :D Ill be ordering some this week.

Cheers Lee.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I think thats the reason most people are unsure about trying it, they don't know for sure whats in the 25% but i think im convinced enough to give it a try :D Ill be ordering some this week.

Cheers Lee.

It is U.S.D.A. approved safe after it is rinsed off of equipment.

Like I figure, I rinse it with hot water. I doubt if any of it "magically" stays in the atomizer. After the atomizer is dry, I prime it and fire it up. I just puff afew times first, but don't inhale (just incase). I've had no problems.

Last edited:

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
The sh*t works, I can't stress enough!
People always seem reluctant to trying it, I don't get it.
I guess some people like to dink around and experiment?
I just soaked my atomizer overnight with the Nu Colgon.... I am stoking it as I write.
It hits like a frieght train! Very clean, e-liquid tastes fresh and delicious!
The difference with a clean atomizer is absolutely amazing.
My main atomizer is a month old, still goin' strong!
I usually only use my secondary atomizer while the main is soaking.

I haven't been able to get any of the ice machine cleaner to try in England
but if it really dissolves the black gunk then it must be something else in the cleaner other than
the phosphoric acid because I have had some dead coils soaking for many days in 25%
and it hasn't dissolved it in the slightest.

SunV's original test said that this '60 to 100%' phos.acid (only) liquid removed 90% of the black gunk,
I have tried long-term cold soaks with with 85%, 75%, 50% and 25% & it doesn't shift it for me,
or Pete it seems.

Boomer,Toker, can you see the coil (should be able to with a 401) & is it clean/cleanish ?
If it's still black & gunked-up but temporary gives a better vape, that's better than nothing,
but a short life extension might be all you are getting?

Maybe the effectiveness depends on what/how we use these things, presumably SunV's gunk was
easier to remove for a reason, maybe Boomer's/Toker's was as well,
if you can take a look & try to see the coils?

Last edited:

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Boomer,Toker, can you see the coil (should be able to with a 401) & is it clean/cleanish ?
If it's still black & gunked-up but temporary gives a better vape, that's better than nothing,
but a short life extension might be all you are getting?

Maybe the effectiveness depends on what/how we use these things, presumably SunV's gunk was
easier to remove for a reason, maybe Boomer's/Toker's was as well,
if you can take a look & try to see the coils?

I can't see the coil it is just too far down on my PiLOT, if this atomiser does not get better after a little soak in warm water i will take it apart and then see what it looks like, of course i would not have a before picture for comparison.

Cheers Lee.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I've never had my coils get "black" or gunky. Usually when I notice lower performance, my atomizer is just a light brown. That's when I clean it. The biggest problem I've had with the m401 atomizer is build up in the air hole and contacts (I do blow hole out with air and maintain contacts). I am a glutton for Nicotine Vapor and I dip/drip alot.
I mostly vape the "light" colored liquids, like Marlboro, Camel flavors I do not like all of the fancy flavors as they tend to taste very "fake" to me. I would suspect people who use liquids that contain high concentrate of colored flavors are more susceptable to "black" gunk?
If that's the case, I would recommend more frequent cleaning, not letting atomizer get that bad in the first place.
I have only had my atomizer for a month, quite possible it could burn out tommorrow because of this cleaner. But until that happens, I will continue to "risk it".

Thanks for your input though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread