Let’s Increase The Air Flow of Siren 2 (Drilling...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
Every time when I have 2 same toy, I will modified (or damage) one of them :) Yeah, it’s typical me :) Now I have 2 Siren V2, so let’s do it.

I love Siren V2, but I wish it has bigger air holes on AFC to choose. Most of the times I like using it as it is, a restricted MTL, but sometimes I like to use it as a restricted DTL or a comfy one. So new project is to make it do dual work for me.

First of all I washed and dried deck section. By unscrewing both 510 pin and connector screw you can easily clean up AFC section.

20180721_135533.jpg

It’s important to dry it completely, because if it wasn’t dry, after drilling, metal chips will stick inside the deck and it will be hard to clean it up.

20180721_135618.jpg

Next step, drilling. I used 2mm metal bit for whole process. First I drilled into middle hole of air section on the base and make it larger. A bit larger than 2mm. It was quite easy! I’m not expert in this filed but it was like drilling aluminum, not steel.

20180721_135710.jpg

Then I drilled 4 holes of AFC section and make them 2mm holes. It was steel! Now I have 4 equal 2mm hole and a very tiny hole on my AFC.

20180721_135753.jpg

For cleaning chips I use blower and manual blowing :) then I washed it with water thoroughly.

:danger:
WARNING: Cleaning and removing chips from inside the cylinder is very hard and time consuming, and you need proper tools like industrial blower and for the process inside of the cylinder must be complete dry.

Result:
I like the result. But If I do it again, I will drill 3 holes of AFC section with 1.8mm bit and leave two other small holes untouched. With 2mm hole on air section of base, these 4 big hole is a lot of air flow.

With 1 big hole open its work like original setting with all holes open, smooth.
With 2 big holes it is a loose MTL.
With 3 big holes it is like restricted DTL.
With 4 big holes it is like comfy DTL.

In 2, 3 and 4 big holes setting in become loud and louder. But not that loud to bother me at all. And there is no whistle.

20180721_142021.jpg

That’s it.

Last edited:

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
LOL I find the Siren to be one of the airiest tanks I have. IDK. I'm glad you enjoyed the process and the result though, that's what matters most. :)

Anna
;) After TFV8-BigBaby > Serpent SMM > Themis ... It's not airy to me at all :lol:
By the way "Themis" was very very bad choice for me.

Reactions: stols001

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I did it to one of my Siren with 5/64 drill bit (but only center hole under coil) and did the same to my SXK Doggystyle... right now my SXK Doggystyle works better for some unknown reason than my SMJY Doggystyle that has hole slightly bigger than 2mm... Siren draw is also a little more smooth.

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
I did it to one of my Siren with 5/64 drill bit (but only center hole under coil) and did the same to my SXK Doggystyle... right now my SXK Doggystyle works better for some unknown reason than my SMJY Doggystyle that has hole slightly bigger than 2mm... Siren draw is also a little more smooth.
You done it all now? Wow dude you are quick ;)
At first I drilled center hole too, and vape it for on tank, honestly I didn't notice any change
After using this 4 whole for a day, I wish I used 1.8mm and 1.5mm bit for 3 hole, I think that setup give me better option to choose. I didn't have those two bit so I drilled all 4 wholes with 2mm. :lol: I was in rush to kill it quickly.
My 2 years old son was in shower and I wanted to done it quickly before he came for tools :) he Love playing with real tools.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Yeah... I did it relatively fast and easy... I would drill one or two on AFC ring but I decided not to because It is not easy to blow off any metal particles from inside (do not have compressed air) ... but with just center hole enlarged to 5/64 (2mm) with 2 tiny holes on side and all 5 original holes on AFC ring opened I can clearly see difference and like it very much. Today... for the first time ever I made 26 gauge twisted wire (used drill and vice) made from it coil (2.5mm ID and 7 wraps) installed in this Siren and since it came @ 0.5 ohm put it on Smok Stick V8 Baby that I rarely use and it works like a charm... perfect, flavorful restricted lung hit vape from Smok battery that has no VW control...:banana:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I could see giving one of my doggies a little more air, although I must say, I'm pretty happy with it the way it is, and also I could puff on that think for weeks straight without getting a dry hit, so I have to assume something is TOTALLY RIGHT with that setup, flavor and etc.

Also, I'd have to learn how to do it and/or instruct the husband to do it and neither is appealing at this time. Although it's a fun thought and I'm glad you are getting the results you want and etc.

Anna

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Since you have couple of doggies and doggie is relatively not expensive tank making one of them more airy make sense... it is really not difficult. You have to unscrew bottom pin remove post pull off insulator... secure post in vise grip wrench (place square part of post in vise grip) and hold it in your left hand... with right hand with a drill start drilling trying to keep it as straight as possible...do not put much pressure... use several slight pushes and after each push inspect it visualy and blow any tine scrap... with sharp brand new 5/64 drill whole disassembly ,drilling and assembly will not take more than 10 minutes... drilling is easy because existing hole is only half mm smaller than drill bit...drill bit is not sliding and do not have to cut much steel...

You know I had mixed feeling about doggy but after I made that hole half mm bigger I can honestly say that now I love my doggy... it is weird but my second doggy that came with bigger hole did not work as good as the one I drilled... it looks I have to buy couple more SXK Doggies and treat them this way...:D

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I could see giving one of my doggies a little more air, although I must say, I'm pretty happy with it the way it is, and also I could puff on that think for weeks straight without getting a dry hit, so I have to assume something is TOTALLY RIGHT with that setup, flavor and etc.

Also, I'd have to learn how to do it and/or instruct the husband to do it and neither is appealing at this time. Although it's a fun thought and I'm glad you are getting the results you want and etc.

Anna

@ToolmanTexas found these replacement posts for the doggystyle at fasttech. They have the same airflow hole as the sjmy version.

So if you don't wanna get the drill and the husband out - here's an option for an airier sxk doggystyle RTA ;)

eMado

ECF Veteran
    Jun 27, 2017
    Tehran
    Hey, I added a WARNING to the post.

After inspecting inside the cylinder (with spot light and magnifying glass) I found chips inside it. I wash it again and after blowing inside to remove water, placed it under the hot sun for hours to make it dry. Now I using blower again and manage to remove chips.

I thinks it's clean now but process was HELL.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    Interesting. This may seem kind of a snarky comment, I know, but why try to make the poor Siren into something it isn't? There are better suited tanks for DL or restricted DL, already, right?
    Siren2 has a pretty wide range of airflow, in my opinion, and the 'low' side of some DL tanks is more restrictive than Siren2 open, so I would get a second tank of that variety, instead of ruining a Siren2, which is pretty good at what it is supposed to do. ???

• Agree

eMado

ECF Veteran
    Jun 27, 2017
    Tehran
    Interesting. This may seem kind of a snarky comment, I know, but why try to make the poor Siren into something it isn't? There are better suited tanks for DL or restricted DL, already, right?
    Siren2 has a pretty wide range of airflow, in my opinion, and the 'low' side of some DL tanks is more restrictive than Siren2 open, so I would get a second tank of that variety, instead of ruining a Siren2, which is pretty good at what it is supposed to do. ???

Like I said: "Every time when I have 2 same toy, I will modified (or damage) one of them :) Yeah, it’s typical me :) Now I have 2 Siren V2, so let’s do it."

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    Like I said: "Every time when I have 2 same toy, I will modified (or damage) one of them :) Yeah, it’s typical me :) Now I have 2 Siren V2, so let’s do it."
    Do you get them cheap? Mine was US$22 each, and I won't take a drill to them. You are braver than me, I guess...:D

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I'd never modify a Siren either but that is one of my favorite atties and even though I guess I could try it with a doggy I probably won't. I bet you anything the perfection gets less, not more. Maybe a Berserker but man, that thing's draw is so tight I can't vape it with my dentures in, they pop out. LOL. Right now I am in "so good, so not change it," status. LOL. I don't really trust myself although MAYBE the husband.

It's a good thing he's feeling better from food poisoning since, as of tomorrow he his House Husband. That means ALL chores, but let's face it, there will be a ton of remedial training because he doesn't care to CLEAN the way I care to have things clean. Even then, I know I will have to do things like clean the bathrooms I JUST KNOW it. LOL.

Anna

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA

I will make as "snarky" comment as your comment...;) You are right...:D Siren2 is pretty good at what it is supposed to do... but it does not mean it cannot be better... at least for some people...

I like Siren2 very much...I ordered second one after just a week of using first one... it is the most often used tank in my RTA arsenal... Siren2 has a pretty wide range of airflow but for me (and I think many other people) enjoyable vape on Siren 2 is only with AF wide open... the first three smallest holes on Siren2 AFC ring provide tighter draw than three smallest holes on Nautilus2... single smallest hole on Siren2 is probably as tight as Berserker single hole...

Wide open Siren2 provides wonderful loose MTL but for restricted DTL is still... too restricted... there are times that even a little too restricted for loose MTL...

I was baffled... why my Siren2 is tighter with 3 holes open on AF ring than Nautilus2 with 3 holes open... visually those 3 smallest holes on Nautilus2 are the same or maybe even tad smaller...

So I came to conclusion that the reason has to be... under the coil...

There are people who insist that true/proper MTL require very small hole (not bigger than 1.5mm) under coil and AFC holes on AFC ring are not able compensate for larger hole under coil... maybe it is true in extreme cases when hole under coil is really big (3mm or bigger) but I think if we really accept that internal air flow bigger than 1.5mm do not provide proper/true MTL we have to stop calling Nautilus or any other tank using Nautilus BVC coils (even Kabuki) MTL tank... internal air flow of any tank using those coils is slightly bigger than ...2.5 mm

Let's go back to Siren2... under coil you have three holes... middle one is about 1.5mm... on both sides are holes the same size but only partially connected to AF tube so total AF is probably smaller than 2.5 mm... after drilling center hole to 2 mm I did not ruined my Siren... I did not even experienced huge difference (air flow probably is still limited by inner diameter of AF tube) but I noticed slight improvement... more smooth (Nautilus kind), "effortlessly" draw...and...maybe slightly better flavor...

Some of us like to tinker and experiment with vaping equipment...that is part of hobby and $ 22 is just cost of 3 packs of stinkies... buying other tank is also a gamble... I spent $36 on Vapefly Galaxies and for that price would prefer to buy 2 SXK Doggystyle and drill their under coil 1.5mm hole to 2mm... my gallaxies is useles for me... I have to look if I can ruin it to make it usable ;)

It looks like 2-2.5mm is my sweet spot... Do you know of any DL tanks that have such diameter hole under coil?

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2018
    IL, Duh
    Nevermind. Life's too short. Always sounds nastier than I intended...
    It is your money, and your time, to do with as you like.
    I love to tinker with stuff. I understand, really. I wasn't kidding about eMado being braver than I. Takes guts to drill into a new tank.
    As long as you understand the relationship between pressure, volume, and velocity, you may have some hope of actually getting what you want.
    If you are interested in a smooth airflow, and minimum noise, you should be drilling undersize holes, and reaming them to size. And the edges need deburring. Those look pretty rough.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread