Let the madness BEGIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just placed my order for a K100 and RSST from fasttech,

I will now be ordering from Amazon...

A few questions...

Should I get 2 batteries, or 4? How long could I expect out of these? For reference, my Spinner 1300 has been lasting 1.5-2.5 days on a charge...

What batteries should I look at? I want to try my hand at sub-ohm and high-voltage builds, that is why I was considering CGR18650CH's, I see many people use them on these types of builds for their high amp output. Am I making a mistake choosing these for this setup? Are there less expensive batteries I could get away with for now that will do a good job for most things, and later, I can step up, or would you just go for the good stuff right away even though it will likely be a little while before I start to push any batteries to their limits?

What type of wire and wick would be best for me? I like my vapor to be on the cooler side, and somewhere between sucking a milkshake and breathing normally...around drinking water through a straw...just a little resistance...that is why I picked my Kanger T3s. And I want the focus to be on flavor over anything else.

I want to have fun with my new RBA and try many different coil types, from micro coils to sub ohms, twisted pairs, etc...I was thinking of getting pretty small wire so I could always twist it up to be thicker with lower resistance...sound right? If I just wanted to buy one larger spool at first...say 100' of 32-34AWG, would that do?

Is there anything else I am missing???

Thank you for your time reading that mess, and any help at all is appreciated!!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Slow down cali boy, since you ordered from Fast Tech, you have weeks to search and figure this all out.

Basically the answers to most of your questions can only be answered by you. I'd recommend going to YouTube and search for RSST coil builds. you will find 100's of "The Best Way" to make your build. Then once you see methods you like and you say, that makes sense to me, try it then experiment some more. No one method is best for everybody, and one finds ways that work best for them

I'm currently working on the 3rd build for my Kayfun style rba. Have had great success with a SS mesh silica Hybrid, and am attempting to expand on it. While searching YouTube I viewed several different builds with silica that looked amazing. So now I'm going to incorporate those ideas into my hybrid build. I even saw a hybrid build that was similar to what I am currently using.

Far as batteries go, would stick with the recommendations of the manufacturer. I have 3 18490's for use with my Provari. Usually can vape a full day at work before replacing. Depends on how much one is vaping and how often. 3-4 is a good number. I rotate mine out so only using the same one every 3rd replacement.

Personally I'm not very interested in the micro coils. Don't like the idea of having to tear down my rba every day or so, to replace the cotton. But their method of rolling the wire coil part is intriguing, and might use that part of the build for a future project.

Last edited:

kylemd

Mar 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
If you haven't tried rebuildables before please be careful about what you do on a mechanical mod. At the least get a vape safe fuse so if you do get a short you won't damage your device/battery/person. Personally I always use my rebuildables on VV devices with protection built in.

A note for how long the batteries will last - take note that as their voltage drops when they start to run out of charge your vape will get weaker. I believe that these will last longer though, I can't comment on sub ohm builds.

As for the batteries I'm on my phone so can't Google them...if they're the 10A rated ones then yes, that's the stuff to get.

If you really like a cooler airy draw I don't think the RSST will be your thing out of the box...you will probably need to bore the air hole out slightly!

As for wicks and coils...I've had the most success with a #500 solid mesh wick with 0.5mm ribbon kanthal...another apparently outstanding setup is the autodripper setup with a microcoil and cotton...that's next on my list to try!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Slow down cali boy, since you ordered from Fast Tech, you have weeks to search and figure this all out.

Basically the answers to most of your questions can only be answered by you. I'd recommend going to YouTube and search for RSST coil builds. you will find 100's of "The Best Way" to make your build. Then once you see methods you like and you say, that makes sense to me, try it then experiment some more. No one method is best for everybody, and one finds ways that work best for them

I'm currently working on the 3rd build for my Kayfun style rba. Have had great success with a SS mesh silica Hybrid, and am attempting to expand on it. While searching YouTube I viewed several different builds with silica that looked amazing. So now I'm going to incorporate those ideas into my hybrid build. I even saw a hybrid build that was similar to what I am currently using.

Far as batteries go, would stick with the recommendations of the manufacturer. I have 3 18490's for use with my Provari. Usually can vape a full day at work before replacing. Depends on how much one is vaping and how often. 3-4 is a good number. I rotate mine out so only using the same one every 3rd replacement.

Personally I'm not very interested in the micro coils. Don't like the idea of having to tear down my rba every day or so, to replace the cotton. But their method of rolling the wire coil part is intriguing, and might use that part of the build for a future project.

I fully intend to have all sorts of foolery going on once my piece is delivered, I was just hoping to get a good idea of a starting point so I can have fun, try many things and enjoy my investment before dropping a TON of money on more supplies.

I have been looking at many videos, and that is part of my confusion...if I had all the supplies possible available to me, I am confident I could come up with some fun and crazy things based on my research, but ATM I do not have all of those things available to me.

As far as batteries, I understand what you are saying, but where can I find those recommendations if I bought a Chinese knock-off mod? lol!

The micro-coil thing was just something I was mentioning so people could have an idea of the direction I hope to take my mod in, although, who is to say I will keep going that direction after trying it?

If you haven't tried rebuildables before please be careful about what you do on a mechanical mod. At the least get a vape safe fuse so if you do get a short you won't damage your device/battery/person. Personally I always use my rebuildables on VV devices with protection built in.

A note for how long the batteries will last - take note that as their voltage drops when they start to run out of charge your vape will get weaker. I believe that these will last longer though, I can't comment on sub ohm builds.

As for the batteries I'm on my phone so can't Google them...if they're the 10A rated ones then yes, that's the stuff to get.

If you really like a cooler airy draw I don't think the RSST will be your thing out of the box...you will probably need to bore the air hole out slightly!

As for wicks and coils...I've had the most success with a #500 solid mesh wick with 0.5mm ribbon kanthal...another apparently outstanding setup is the autodripper setup with a microcoil and cotton...that's next on my list to try!

I fully understand your point about safety, and I plan on being as safe as possible, that is one reason I have posted here to see if I have potentially made any bad decisions...

Yes, the CGR18650CH is the 10A rated one...So, I should be getting those right off the bat? I was hoping to get away with something a little cheaper to start, but I do not want to skimp or have sub-par performance...

I am completely ready to be drilling out the air holes and any other necessary mods to make this a nice setup for me. Although, I may need to get a couple RBA's, because while overall I prefer a cooler vape, especially with fruity or minty juices, anything like cinnamon or a baked good, I would prefer a slightly warmer vapor, lol...DAMN!

Thank you both for your time and responses!

Keep them coming!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
4 Battery deal is usually the best choice. Good charger is important.
Time will depend on coil resistance and use.

As for coil wire - The smaller the wire, the harsher the vape under low load conditions.
30ga for smaller RDA's
28ga down to 22ga and Ribbon wire work well for Tanks

This may take some time to figure out. Everything will ultimately depend on your building skills. The more you work at it the better things will perform.

kylemd

Mar 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
If you are definitely going to go sub-ohm you need high amperage batteries, otherwise there's a good chance that you'll overload the battery...I have not experienced this first hand but I'd imagine it wouldn't be pretty.

Most protected batteries have a 3.5A limit, when reached the protection circuit will trip and goodbye battery.

So yeah, unless you're using a VV/VW device (which, for the most part, don't support sub ohm) then you will need high draw batteries.

There are plenty of calculators out there that will calculate your amperage so you can get an idea (look up filbert's vaping calculator in Google)

So, for this mech mod, if I were to go any high-draw route like sub-ohm, I would NOT want a protected battery?

Good to know, thank you!

However, if I go other routes, like just normal vaping, or micro-coils, or anything else that is not particularly high-draw...would I then want to have a protected battery? Or does that make a difference...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread