http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/809967?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=206789SZ

E-Cigs: Is It Safe to vape?

Electronic Cigarettes as Good as Patch for Quitting Smoking
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810645?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=206789SZ

Electronic Cigarettes: No Adverse Effects on Coronary Microcirculation
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810295?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=206789SZ

Electronic Cigarette Use Doubles Among Adolescents in 1 Year
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810586?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=206789SZ

Medscape also has one of the stronger medical reviews (not listed in todays email);

Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine; The Emerging Phenomenon of Electronic Cigarettes
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758218_1

Medscape has ties to the FDA and CDC.
IMO, the FDA ignoring many of the published studies, reviews, opinions should be hard for them to defend.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I am sorry. I haven't logged in for so long that I'm not sure what it was - I didn't realize it was restricted. I noticed I'm listed as "other health professional" and it's free. It's a good resource for medical info that might be worth the registration.

I don't know what to do because I think this info is valuable.

Last edited:

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA

EDIT*
First two videos/articles are interesting. All I have had time to watch. I'll have to watch all of them. I have family I am trying to convert to PVs instead of analogs.

I couldn't find the link to sign in as a 'consumer'. Heck, I'm a nurse, I could probably set up a 'real' account. But I didn't see how to do that either. (Obviously I need more coffee or something. :) )

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Went to "Help" and clicked the
"New User FREE Registration" link which just took me to same home page where there is no link to join. And even going to the home page from my search engine (not google) every time I try to look at anything I'm still asked to sign in as the OP.... super weird. Ultra-confusing site. So is the OP's IP identity now me? :blink:

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
That first video rocks. The comments were mostly supportive as well, from nurses to family Doctors to Dr. Ross. I really like how it was pointed out about real cigarettes taking a nosedive at the same time eCigs populated. Anyway, there is one commenter, on the opposing side, who sounds just like one of the posters here in the forum. No no no wrong wrong wrong lol.

Off to the next link, I hope it's as positive as this one is. I wish it were on YouTube like some of his other videos are. He's apparently actually read a lot of the stuff that's been published over the years. :). I really like this guy.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
I am sorry. I haven't logged in for so long that I'm not sure what it was - I didn't realize it was restricted. I noticed I'm listed as "other health professional" and it's free. It's a good resource for medical info that might be worth the registration.

I don't know what to do because I think this info is valuable.

When you click on the link it takes you to the log in screen. For username it says alkanae1 (not alkanae1?). Just click on (not alkanea1). Then on the next screen, click on Not a member? Create a free account. Then sign up.

J.R.

dave8944

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
In the second video, she mentions PEG (polyethylene glycol) as being used in e-cigs, but I wonder if she is confusing that with PG (propylene glycol). All of the e-liquid I buy is PG based, not PEG.

They do make it with PEG too. I bought a liter of it by mistake. It's still sitting in my fridge b/c I figure PG has been studied more.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Not sure why Medscape also prompted me to login (as I've been registered for years, and never was asked to login)

But the editorial by former Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) editor George Lundberg
"Let them use e-cigarettes" at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810666
is truly excellent (especially the last two sentences), and should be widely circulated.

Lundberg has long been one of my public health heroes.

Below is the latter part of his editorial.

Then why not simply provide those hopelessly hooked tobacco addicts with the nicotine they must have without all those carcinogens and other nasty toxins?

Great idea. Does that work? Well, it does if the slope of the blood nicotine uptake is steep enough to produce the hard-hitting charge that the nicotine addict must have. How about nicotine gum? It works poorly. How about lozenges? Not good enough. Patches? No, too bland. Intravenous nicotine could work, but there's potential for infections. An inhaler? Now you are getting closer.

Maybe these devices called e-cigarettes? They produce a high nicotine content vapor that's inhaled and is reported to produce a serious nicotine rush, similar to that produced by inhaling smoke from burning tobacco.

Sounds pretty good.

Because tobacco deaths don't come from nicotine, maybe we could rescue some 450,000 Americans a year from premature death secondary to tobacco use by making e-cigarettes available to tobacco addicts.

Yeah. Maybe we could. That would be called harm reduction. It could also be called compassionate therapy. Who could oppose that? A lot of folks are antitobacco zealots and they say to the tobacco addicts, "Quit or die!" Ooh. Huge numbers can't quit, so they die, prematurely.

There are many regulatory hurdles awaiting e-cigarettes on their way toward approval, including success at smoking cessation; potential toxicity for the user; any possible harm to people nearby the user; the potential for developing new nicotine addicts via this method of nicotine delivery; possible destigmatization of tobacco; age limits; and the best ways to advertise, market, sell, and tax this new family of products.

Meanwhile, we the public and we the public-health folks ought to cool it and just let the tobacco addicts, who are going to get their nicotine rush any way they can, use e-cigs rather than burn tobacco and inhale its smoke. It strikes me as immoral to try to prevent them that access. Right? Right.

Wikipedia list the following description of Lundberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_D._Lundberg

George D. Lundberg is an American board-certified pathologist and, from February 1999 to January 2009, editor of Medscape.[1] For 17 years prior to joining Medscape, Lundberg served as editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
One month before joining Medscape, Lundberg was terminated from his position with JAMA by E. Ratcliffe Anderson, who was then executive vice president of the AMA, over a research study report from the Kinsey Institute that Lundberg had selected for publication. The JAMA article reported, among other things, that 60% of college students surveyed in 1991 considered "oral sex" as not "having sex," which Anderson said was "inappropriately and inexcusably" timed to influence the debate over the Impeachment of Bill Clinton and "to extract political leverage." Lundberg subsequently successfully sued the AMA and was awarded an undisclosed settlement.

Last edited:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
real science will have field day with all the false information out there, when they are "able" to release it.

My problem (in my opinion) is that "all" of the state and federal government budgets are fully dependent on cigarette taxes.. and Vapors are avoiding them..They will keep dependency numbers up, any way they can.. and add a category for nic. to be taxed to death to make up for the losses.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Speaking of JAMA, did you see the announcement about dropping ecig research articles ( until SG comes up with far fetched zingers).
BMJ Group blogs: BMJ Open » Blog Archive » Journal policy on research funded by the tobacco industry
"
"As editors of the BMJ, Heart, Thorax, and BMJ Open we have decided that the journals will no longer consider for publication any study that is partly or wholly funded by the tobacco industry". And they then go on to talk about how tobacco companies & eCigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread