Let us discuss the deep well phenomena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charkel

Mar 19, 2021
I bought a Hellvape Passage as my first rda after hours of reading reviews making it down to the two finalists of Rabbit and Passage. So I started reading comparisons of those and Passage was the choice of all reviewers.

I guess the deep well came naturally but I was actually thinking about that would be the best.
Turns out, it's not... not for me atleast
  • If you want to test mixes it's a real bad choice.
  • Because you have to put in a bit more (at least to my experience) there is a chance you have leftovers leaking if you try to carry it on your person.
Am I just doing it wrong or are smaller wells actually to prefer for RDA's and deep wells is just for lazy and desk-vaping people?

I mean the D in RDA is dripper for a reason, right?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Am I just doing it wrong or are smaller wells actually to prefer for RDA's and deep wells is just for lazy and desk-vaping people?

I agree that small deck wells are much better for testing diy mixes.

However, plenty of us use RDAs with bottom feed pins on a squonk mod. So the D becomes irrelevant.

As for well size, that is 100% personal preference.

For me, I prefer deep well RDAs, as I can squonk my head off and not worry about flooding a tiny deck. And no, I'm not desk bound, nor lazy, most of the time :D

Other people prefer a small well for squonking :thumbs:

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi @Charkel and Welcome,

I am a no deck-shallow well squonker.
    In my perfect RDA, I can squonk up enough to submerge the coil and wick and the surplus is drawn back into the bottle. After a few pulls, the whole unit can be tossed about with no chance of the RDA leaking.

IMO, sample mixes in the device(s) you use daily.
    As far as testing, I always suggest letting a build "bed-in" with a ml or two before passing judgement.
    During those 30 or more pulls; adjust wattage, coil position, air flow etc, to get the best from the RDA and the mix.

HTH
    I

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Simple solution...when just tasting mixes keep your wick tails short, like 1-2mm from the coil. Enough to just saturate the wick without filling the well. Or use tc and just vape the wick dry.

That is still one of the best pieces of advice you gave me, when I started diy :wub:

• Love
    Reactions: Letitia

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I bought a Hellvape Passage as my first RDA after hours of reading reviews making it down to the two finalists of Rabbit and Passage. So I started reading comparisons of those and Passage was the choice of all reviewers.

I guess the deep well came naturally but I was actually thinking about that would be the best.
    Turns out, it's not... not for me atleast
    • If you want to test mixes it's a real bad choice.
    • Because you have to put in a bit more (at least to my experience) there is a chance you have leftovers leaking if you try to carry it on your person.

I Squonk so Well Size isn't a big factor.

If you carrying a RDA, sooner or later you're going to have a Leak. It's just kinda the Nature of the Beast. A Bigger Well for a pure Dripper means Dripping Less Frequently. So that can be a Plus.

BTW - Maybe it it just the Pictures? But it sure looks like the Air Inlets in the RDA Cover sure Look High.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    For me personally the Passage is the better designed RDA in almost all respects compared to the DeadRabbit.
    But in terms of juice well there is not a big difference.

If an RDA leaks inside your pocket, you have overdripped. Simple as that.

For testing a tiny RDA with a small juice well might seem the best option at first glance, but if you want to vape that same juice you have just tested on a different atty, the flavor profile of your all day atty will be different, so the testing with that tiny RDA will be pointless.

Tiny juice wells suck imo. Just learn how to build with the right amount of wicking and establish a dripping routine for yourself, and leaking will be a non issue.

• Useful
    Reactions: Izan

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Simple solution...when just tasting mixes keep your wick tails short, like 1-2mm from the coil. Enough to just saturate the wick without filling the well. Or use tc and just vape the wick dry.
    You can actually test juices directly on an unwicked coil at low power levels. Certain coils suit this technique better than others obviously.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    For me personally the Passage is the better designed RDA in almost all respects compared to the DeadRabbit.
    But in terms of juice well there is not a big difference.

If an RDA leaks inside your pocket, you have overdripped. Simple as that.

For testing a tiny RDA with a small juice well might seem the best option at first glance, but if you want to vape that same juice you have just tested on a different atty, the flavor profile of your all day atty will be different, so the testing with that tiny RDA will be pointless.

Tiny juice wells suck imo. Just learn how to build with the right amount of wicking and establish a dripping routine for yourself, and leaking will be a non issue.
    I prefer tiny rdas with tiny wells simply because I don't drip often and generally only take several hits. Dpro mini is my favorite rda for dripping.

Reactions: mimöschen

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Right. This method works best with braided coils imo. But it has drawbacks as well. Lower power and the abscence of a wick will again change the flavor profile.
    Not enough to matter. Tells you if the juice is maturing nicely and if the high notes are what you were shooting for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread