Not open for further replies.

dirquist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2009
Kent, Wa
Hey Guys,
I have the chance to visit the ZFO Tuesday and pick up a granite ZNA and an Lite. It will be a total of 12 hours to drive and Im going to need to seel my Cartel. Im not much of a sub ohm guy . (usually go as low as .7-1.2) . I already have one regular ZNA. My question to you is do you think it is worth getting rid of the Cartel and driving 12 hours for to pick up the granite or am I making a mistake since I already have a ZNA.

Really only you can answer that. What the heck though, Id sell the Cartel if I wasnt into sub ohming at all.

mariotenuta

Feb 15, 2014
MONTREAL
Amazing experience at the ZFO. Zen and Jason Smith are just awesome definatley going back 2014-07-01 23.23.50.jpg 2014-07-01 23.17.20.jpg 2014-07-01 23.23.50.jpg 2014-07-01 23.17.13.jpg 2014-07-01 23.16.59.jpg 2014-07-01 23.16.59.jpg 2014-07-01 23.41.10.jpg

barfly711

Sep 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I just got my ZNA back from the shop. I had a serial 611, so the redesign (not being aware beforehand) was enough for me to call Zen. He was extremely helpful and explained why he introduced the new design to prohibit flattop batteries. He was getting a lot of units back from people that had inserted batteries the wrong direction. Plus he went in depth on his preference for using AW IMR batteries in the ZNA. I won't try to recite it, but one thing I took away is that he said I should get a more true battery reading with AW IMR batteries.

The top cap redesign took a lot of finagling to get my Russian to sit flush. I had no problems adjusting the old top cap, but this one took a lot of work. In the end, I had to file down the bottom side of the copper so I can screw the top cap all the way down. We're talking less than a millimeter and it wasn't a big deal because copper is so soft. Not a huge fan and I know he had good intentions, but the copper is really easy to gnarl up when back the pin in and out.

Anyways. I'm all adjusted and 100% back in business now. Extremely happy with HoH support and the ZNA in general.

Last edited:

barfly711

Sep 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
He just recently changed the design. I believe my new serial is 1162. It's a pretty ingenious little design he's come up with for making flattops incompatible. I read a few pages back someone posted you can just remove the little extra ring of delrin, but doing so compromises the integrity of the whole threading mechanism at the the top of the device.

I can't blame him for doing it. It isn't my preference to have to use nipple top batteries as I was fine using VTC5's as well. However, if he was getting a lot of fried units shipped back this is an easy to way to stem the flow.

When I talked to him today he was very explicit in his preference for using AW IMR batteries in his device and not VTC5's. How much weight you put on that is up to you.

brekec88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
US
I bet most people fried their ZNA from putting the battery in the wrong way, not from using VTC5s. I just use a small magnet on the top of my VTC5 and it works no problem in the ZNA. I say it all the time, if you can't make sure the battery goes in the right way the ZNA is probably not the mod for you lol.

Last edited:

Flyfishsick

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2014
USA
# 271 ZNA here !!! Using a Tobh Atty and a Kayfun lite and loving it!!!!vtc5's are working also. I need to order the new top cap to get everything flush.

i have noticed that it would reset quite often and the battery indicator would be all over the place? Cleaned the threads and the bottom cap spring and some dielectric grease and it works great!!!! Keep an eye on the bottom cap spring I think that is the week link with the DNA reset?

IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1521.jpg IMG_1521.jpg

joaquingt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
San Francisco
weird issue with my zna guys. I have a lite and granite. after some use the wattage rolls up to 30 watts . after a couple of resets it will stabalize then a few minutes later back up to 30w. anyone ever have this happen to them?

Yeah, the best solution is to send it back to mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
Well guys I finally got home to southern cal after dropping copper off at AlB53's house and my ZNA was waiting for me. A few impressions:

The feel and perceived quality of this thing is well above any box mod I've used. It's quite heavy and I have the lite version. I was able to simply remove the black reverse battery spacer from the white insulator and my VTC5s now work great. While I had that copper bolt out to remove the reverse battery spacer, I was able to reposition the body tube to sit flush with the neck of the device. It didn't at first. The standard 18490 body tube had a rather large bur on the threads that scratches batteries, but I don't plan on using that tube as I do not own and do not intend to own any 18490s. The 18650 tube is fine. I am very happy with this device.

image.jpg

barfly711

Sep 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
After I got my ZNA back form repairs, Zen had included the new battery spacer design. When I tried to remove the delrin spacer, it compromised the integrity of that whole portion of the device becuase he's now using a slightly longer screw as well. Can you take a picture of what yours looks like without the delrin spacer?

Also, I asked him for a replacement tube because my 18490 has a huge burr in it as well. He happily replaced it with a nice new smooth one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread