Level with me- Kayfun Lite + worth the dough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magman007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sarasota, FL
So I have been rebuilding my pt2 heads now for a while, and I can make a clean, consistent micro coil every time add a cotton wick and I'm vaping happily, however I am starting to run into space issues within the tiny head, and I believe I am ready to go to something a bit more build friendly. That said, I just can't tell through all of the BS if it is really worth the money. Is a KFL+ really that much better than a well built dialed in PT with a microcoil?

Design wise, they function about the same in a basic sense, 2 juice channels into a vape chamber and up the chimney, the KFL has more room for cotton, which means more juice delivered to the coil and a much easier build deck to work with, so I can see the advantage there clearly, but function wise, is it really night and day? If I were blind folded and given either with the same drip tip, could I actually tell a difference?

I ask you guys because you have always been straight shooters. The provari was worth the coin, so I ask, is this topper really all it is cracked up to be?

I have kicked around the idea of purchasing a cheep clone, but I am sure just like the provari I will be happier purchasing the real thing the first time, and not wasting my money on a clone which may or may not afford the same level of satisfaction.

Thanks for reading!

wagon52

Verified Member
So I have been rebuilding my pt2 heads now for a while, and I can make a clean, consistent micro coil every time add a cotton wick and I'm vaping happily, however I am starting to run into space issues within the tiny head, and I believe I am ready to go to something a bit more build friendly. That said, I just can't tell through all of the BS if it is really worth the money. Is a KFL+ really that much better than a well built dialed in PT with a microcoil?

Design wise, they function about the same in a basic sense, 2 juice channels into a vape chamber and up the chimney, the KFL has more room for cotton, which means more juice delivered to the coil and a much easier build deck to work with, so I can see the advantage there clearly, but function wise, is it really night and day? If I were blind folded and given either with the same drip tip, could I actually tell a difference?

I ask you guys because you have always been straight shooters. The provari was worth the coin, so I ask, is this topper really all it is cracked up to be?

I have kicked around the idea of purchasing a cheep clone, but I am sure just like the provari I will be happier purchasing the real thing the first time, and not wasting my money on a clone which may or may not afford the same level of satisfaction.

Thanks for reading!
I recently purchased a HCigar Kayfun 3.1 clone and couldn't be more happier with it. The flavor and vapor production is way above any PT. I have rebuilt my PT's and it definitely improved them but they still don't compare to the Kayfun. Although I think I am still pretty new at the coil thing, It is pretty easy to do and worth the effort! With the performance I have gotten from the clone, I would definitely consider a true Kayfun.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
My 3rd & 4th ones should be showing up any time now. All authentic. A Provari & KFL+, in my opinion, is the perfect vape. You could try a clone first, but it's cheaper in the long run to get an authentic one. The machining & materials are second to none & it has a very high resale % should you decide to sell it. The clones aren't made nearly as nice (including the R91) and you'll be lucky to get half your money back out of it should you decide to try & sell it. Just like the Provari or a divorce - expensive, but worth it.

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
The clones aren't made nearly as nice (including the R91)

Hmm... not sure I agree with this statement. Do you have any clones? I have a real KFL+ v2, two EHPro clones, and a real R91, so I can speak to first hand experience. Yes, I like my real KFL better, but not because they aren't made well or work as good, only because its the real deal. I have found that the HCigar and EHPro clones are JUST as nice and perform exactly like the original.

The rest of your statement is true though regarding resell value... :) But for those that can't afford $100+ for a real Kayfun, they shouldn't be put off by a clone if they stick to the bigger names and stay away from Tobeco, Fasttech, etc.. IMHO anyways.

:vapor:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I have two HCigar Kayfun 3.1ES clones and they have been flawless.

My issue is that I love the 3.1ES design. Yes, the fill valve on the side is a PITA, but it's all good since I don't use it and it doesn't leak, so no problems. I love that it has easy access airflow adjustment and adjustable 510 connection. I don't know about the KFL, KFL+ variants because I haven't tried them.

Of course the 3.1ES design has been officially discontinued and can't be bought unless I buy a real one used. So for me, If I want to keep the Kayfun form factor I like, I have to buy a clone, like the HCigar, or the original Russian. If I want to buy an "authentic Kayfun" I have to go to the KFL+ which is basically the same build deck and internal design, but has some functional changes.

Decisions...Decisions.....

Last edited:

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
Hmm... not sure I agree with this statement. Do you have any clones? I have a real KFL+ v2, two EHPro clones, and a real R91, so I can speak to first hand experience. Yes, I like my real KFL better, but not because they aren't made well or work as good, only because its the real deal. I have found that the HCigar and EHPro clones are JUST as nice and perform exactly like the original.

The rest of your statement is true though regarding resell value... :) But for those that can't afford $100+ for a real Kayfun, they shouldn't be put off by a clone if they stick to the bigger names and stay away from Tobeco, Fasttech, etc.. IMHO anyways.

I agree with this. I have both the russian91%, KFL+, & KFL+ V2 and there are thing about the R91 I like better than the KFLs... The adjustable 510pin, the angled route of the air intake(less whistle) and the clear tank section is a lot higher quality than the KFL. On the KFL+ V2 I like the location of the air flow adjustment on the bottom just for the looks & the new designed top cap for the function.

Both are far superior to any of the clones I have seen, but each has its pros and cons when comparing one to the other.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana

I had a R91 that got returned because the machining was poor & it's a lower grade of stainless. I've also looked at a bunch of close-up photos, and they're not consistent at all. I can get a KFL+ for under $100 shipped, so I wasn't about to pay premium prices for a subpar clone. I looked at other clones to see what was out there, but same thing - poor machining, poor QC, lower grades of stainless at best & many of them are just chromed. The real ones aren't cheap, but they're worth the extra money. I do a ton of research before I buy anything; it wasn't a mistake that I bought the KFL+. I liked it so much I bought 3 more. Now I have to buy more Provari's. :facepalm: I knew there was a catch!

I agree with this. I have both the russian91%, KFL+, & KFL+ V2 and there are thing about the R91 I like better than the KFLs... The adjustable 510pin, the angled route of the air intake(less whistle) and the clear tank section is a lot higher quality than the KFL. On the KFL+ V2 I like the location of the air flow adjustment on the bottom just for the looks & the new designed top cap for the function.

Both are far superior to any of the clones I have seen, but each has its pros and cons when comparing one to the other.

None of mine whistle at all.

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
I've also looked at a bunch of close-up photos, and they're not consistent at all.
Really... you're saying all clones are subpar because you looked at pictures?

I can get a KFL+ for under $100 shipped.
Oh really? Where from??? Got a link?

I looked at other clones to see what was out there, but same thing - poor machining, poor QC, lower grades of stainless at best & many of them are just chromed.
Like I said previously, not all clones are equal! Your statement is blanketing all clones, and this just isn't true. No chrome on any of my EHPro or HCigar clones, all 3xx SS parts, VERY good machining, buttery smooth threads, etc..

Please refrain from product reviews and blanket statements about a product unless you have first hand experience or knowledge. Like I said, some people cannot afford the real deal and the higher end clones ARE NOT junk, as you put it. Some are, yes, but if you do the research you claim to do, you will discover this for yourself.

Cheers!

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
I had a R91 that got returned because the machining was poor & it's a lower grade of stainless. I've also looked at a bunch of close-up photos, and they're not consistent at all. I can get a KFL+ for under $100 shipped, so I wasn't about to pay premium prices for a subpar clone. I looked at other clones to see what was out there, but same thing - poor machining, poor QC, lower grades of stainless at best & many of them are just chromed. The real ones aren't cheap, but they're worth the extra money. I do a ton of research before I buy anything; it wasn't a mistake that I bought the KFL+. I liked it so much I bought 3 more. Now I have to buy more Provari's. :facepalm: I knew there was a catch!

None of mine whistle at all.

The machining on the R91 is every bit as good and the KFLs... matter of fact ALL the parts interchange perfect, except for the poorly made clear tanks of the KFL. Even had the same quality issues with the new blue tank SvoeMesto made. Was disappointed after receiving it from C9V that I has to trim excess plastic from the inside as well as clean the threads to even be usable just like the clear one it came with.

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
except for the poorly made clear tanks of the KFL. I had to trim excess plastic from the inside as well as clean the threads to even be usable just like the clear one it came with.

THIS!

My brand new KFL+ v2 came with plastic flashing all over the threads. On the other hand, the frosted tanks that came with my clones were perfect. The tank that Svoemesto includes also has two lines through them from where they were molded together. This really annoys me too as it makes the tank looked cracked with certain juices. Again, none of my clones are like that... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread