LG HB6 Pink 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...great 30A/1500mAh battery, better than ivory HB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for testing by Origin vape (www.originvape.com). To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This pink-colored version of the HB6 is a great 30A continuous, 1500mAh battery that outperforms the older ivory HB6 in voltage and capacity. Both the new pink HB6 and new mustard HB4 have a similar increase in performance over their older versions. The pink HB6 equals the VTC4's starting pulse voltage but due to the HB6's lower capacity that voltage starts dropping faster.

A lot of people ask where they can buy the batteries I test. These were donated for testing by Origin Vape (www.originvape.com).

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting of, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.png image.png

Comparison between the ivory HB6 and the pink HB6
    image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached about 1425mAh. This is fantastic performance for a 1500mAh-rated cell operating at 10A so I am rating this cell at 1500mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 56°C. This is significantly below the average temperature for a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 64°C. This is still a lot below the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 71°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR, indicating that we're discharging near the cell's rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 76°C. This is just below the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is the upper limit for the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 40A and 45A continuous the temperature rose to 89°C and 93°C. These temperatures are too high to set either of these current levels as the CDR.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    Looks as if the pulsed current data is quite close to that of the HB4. What I noticed about the mustard HB4 (of which I have four) is that the profiled height of the cover cap has noticeably increased over that of the brown HB4. Whether this is within manufacturing tolerances or done purposefully in an attempt to emulate a button top, I have no idea. Does the same hold true with the HB6 in regards to the cover cap being taller than that of its ivory predecessor?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Derek Cross

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Looks as if the pulsed current data is quite close to that of the HB4. What I noticed about the mustard HB4 is that the profiled height of the cover cap has noticeably increased over that of the brown HB4. Whether this is within manufacturing tolerances or done purposefully in an attempt to emulate a button top, I have no idea. Does the same hold true with the HB6 in regards to the cover cap being taller than that of its ivory predecessor?

Don't know, been so busy testing I haven't looked. :)
    You could check the pictures in the two HB6 test reports.

Reactions: Derek Cross

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    Hard to tell. Looks to be the same. Based on the blurry shot of the top cap, you had not yet perfected your camera skills in the original review ;) . So I gather that the cover cap from the HB6 wrapped in pink does not noticeably protrude?

top_cap_hb6_vs_hb6.jpg

I'm posting the updated shootout results for the three [HB series].
    HB 30A shootouts are definitely my favorite :thumbs: .

Last edited:

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Very nice how consistently these newer 30amp cells are keeping theyre voltages consistently.

I purchased 4 hb4 lg's due to your review and they do not disappoint. I love my vtc4 for unregulated mechs but these seem to hit at the same voltage for longer or at least the voltage drop is minimal. @Mooch never lets me down

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread