LG HE4 20A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...good, but not as good as the 25R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current. Cells were purchased from Orbtronic and donated for testing.

Dropbox - lg he4 20a 2500mah 18650 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - lg he4 20a 2500mah 18650 can.jpeg

Dropbox - lg he4 20a 2500mah 18650 top.jpeg

Dropbox - lg he4 20a 2500mah 18650 bottom.jpeg

Disclaimer
    Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Bottom Line
    A true 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that runs a bit hot at 20A.
    Has a bit lower voltage under load and less capacity than the Samsung 25R when pushed hard.

Test Results
    Dropbox - lg he4 20a 2500mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    • Good capacity and maximum temperature of 82°C at 20A. This is about 4°C hotter than the Samsung 25R but shouldn't affect cycle life too much versus the 25R.
    • Five additional cycles at 20A showed only 0.9% loss in capacity and almost no voltage sag. A 10A discharge done after this though showed a 2.1%% loss in capacity. This is slightly higher than what happens in the 25R and could be explained by the HE4's slightly higher temperature when discharged hard.
    • The HE4, to 3.2V at 20A, has about 15% less capacity than the Samsung 25R.
    • The HE4 has a slightly lower voltage under load than the Samsung 25R.
    • While operating any cell at its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from the HE4 at 20A.
    • A discharge at 25A brought the cell temperature to 92°C and dropped the voltage considerably. That's too hot and will significantly speed up the damage done to the cell. This is a 20A cell.
    • See my blog for more information on the testing procedures, equipment used, and links to all my test results.

Last edited:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2014
    Fontana, CA
    monotremata.bandcamp.com
    Yeah I hate to say it but even at lower amperages they still dont last as long as the 25Rs.. I run a 1.0 ohm coil at 16w most of the time in my drippers, and dont even hit 5A, and my 25Rs easily outlast both my HE2s and 4s.. I can go a whole day with the 25Rs before swapping, where with the LG's I can put one in when I wake up and Ill be replacing it before bedtime. LG probably really gives you the absolute max specs with theirs, where Samsung often underrates their cells, so they probably have a bit more kick under the hood than they advertise, which your awesome tests kinda prove.. This makes me curious now as to what kind of draw the 18650 flashlights these are often used for is. Id hate to be in the middle of a power outage and not have a place to plug in my xtar when my LGs died haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread