LG MH1 10A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...safe at 10A but suffers damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 5A-15A constant current. Cells were graciously donated for testing by Liion Wholesale (Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor

Dropbox - lg mh1 10a 3200mah 18650 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - lg mh1 10a 3200mah 18650 can.jpeg

Dropbox - lg mh1 10a 3200mah 18650 top.jpeg

Dropbox - lg mh1 10a 3200mah 18650 bottom.jpeg

Disclaimer
    Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Bottom Line
    A cell that suffers some damage at 10A but is safe to use at that level. I recommend 7A max to ensure decent cycle life.

Test Results
    Dropbox - lg mh1 10a 3200mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    • This cell has a moderate maximum temperature of 73°C-75°C at its 10A rating. But it suffered some damage from five subsequent 10A discharges. While safe to use at 10A I would recommend not exceeding 7A for decent cycle life.
    • A 5A discharge run after the 10A discharges showed a drop in voltage and slightly reduced capacity. This indicates that damage was done during the six 10A discharges.
    • A discharge at 15A brought the cell temperature to 99°C and dropped the voltage considerably. That's way too hot and will significantly speed up the damage being done and risks venting of the cell. Stay under 10A.
    • See my blog for more information on the testing procedures, equipment used, and links to all my test results.

Reactions: State O' Flux
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread