LGDBHE21865 Vs Sony Vtc5 for DNA30

Status
Not open for further replies.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I have both batteries the Sony lasts longer by far the lg hits hard but drops fast also the he2 is 20 amps 35 amp pulsed

The Sony VTC5 and the Samsung -25R last about an equal about of vape time in my Hana.

I agree that the LG HE2 does not last as long as either of the aforementioned batteries.

Here are some discharge curves for the Sony and the Samsung as well as the HE2:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/592339-comparison-vtc4-vtc5-lg-icr18650he2-samsung-inr18650-25r.html

When discharged at 5A the Samsung and the Sony actually are much closer.
The Samsung actually stays in a vape-able voltage range a little longer than the Sony. Making it an almost ideal battery for a 30 to 50W regulated mod like the DNA30 or the IPV2.

And, at $8 a cell a much more inexpensive option than the now pricey and hard to source VTC5.
18650 Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh High Discharge Flat Top - Batteries - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers

I was a bit skeptical at first but after a few weeks of using the Samsung and the VTC5, The Samsung is a contender when used in the 5 to 15A range.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
The LGs are 20 amps continuous, not 35. They perform great though. I only have VTC 4s (of Sonys) to compare with, not VTC 5s, but the LGs are better performers. Also, just to point out that mAh rating isn't everything, they last considerably longer than my 2900 mAh Panasonic PFs.

Yes that's a good point. The rating on those Panasonic's are based on a discharge down to 2.5v, I believe. Most regulated mods will cut off before that voltage. Also some of those high capacity Panasonic batteries tend to give a lower voltage output throughout their range compared to some of the competition.

For example a Panasonic hybrid 2900mah based battery (Keeppower 2900 mah) vs a LG HE2 based Keeppower 2500mah, shows the LG based battery holds a noticeably higher voltage @ 10A discharge until it's almost empty.

Source: Battery Comparator

oCEbZIH.png

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
You can tell protected batteries because they are usually 2-5mm longer than unprotected 18650's (i.e. 67-70mm long). VTC5's are normally sold as a bare cell (green wrapper) and these do not have a protection circuit.

I should think the built in charger in the mod will shut off at the correct voltage, but I can't say for sure as I've never seen it tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread