The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

li-ion charger to IMRs?

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by Bert101, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bert101

Bert101 Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    United States
    Just curious if it will work i have a tenergy tn270 to charge my li ion cells and i just picked up some aw imr 18650s the 1600 mah 24a models but after reading severy threads im not sure if it can be done alot say yes alot say no so which is it?

2. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Google is your friend! :)

3. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    Go to RTD Vapor and get a Nitecore, Xtar or Pila charger, then you won't have to worry, all three will IMR or NCR without a problem. The Nitecore chargers will actually distinguish what type of battery it is and charge it accordingly.

4. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    It's fine Bert. It outputs 500mA only, so it will take a few hours to charge those batteries if they are reasonably discharged which is a good thing for the batteries. It's also got independent channels which is also good.

Vape on :thumb:

5. Bert101

Bert101 Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    United States
    Thank you!

6. ride_k2

ride_k2 Full Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    The Tenergy is not a bad charger, it works. Provape includes the Tenergy TN270 charger in their bundle deal, that's where I got mine.

I have since dove into Mech Mods and purchased 4 new AW IMR 18650 1600mah batteries. I'm a lot more cautious on my battery charging habits and battery voltage now that I'm sub-ohm vaping. So I decided to go with the Pila charger. So far it is great, consistent charging, and looks nice. Time will tell if my batteries will last longer with this charger. I would recommend the Pila but if your on a budget just make sure to use a multimeter to check the batteries off the Tenergy charger to make sure it is not overcharging them.

(I did notice one channel on my Tenergy was over charging a little.. to about 4.25)

7. WarHawk-AVG

WarHawk-AVG Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    H-Town
    Tenergy TN270 Li-ion Charger for Li-Ion Cylindrical Cells

That should be fine...it's a low end charger...there are MUCH better ones out!

4.25vdc is actually OVER charged and putting undue stress on the Li Ion...they should be AT or below 4.20vdc

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.