li-ion charger to IMRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ride_k2

Mar 16, 2013
Sacramento CA
The Tenergy is not a bad charger, it works. Provape includes the Tenergy TN270 charger in their bundle deal, that's where I got mine.

I have since dove into Mech Mods and purchased 4 new AW IMR 18650 1600mah batteries. I'm a lot more cautious on my battery charging habits and battery voltage now that I'm sub-ohm vaping. So I decided to go with the Pila charger. So far it is great, consistent charging, and looks nice. Time will tell if my batteries will last longer with this charger. I would recommend the Pila but if your on a budget just make sure to use a multimeter to check the batteries off the Tenergy charger to make sure it is not overcharging them.

(I did notice one channel on my Tenergy was over charging a little.. to about 4.25)

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Tenergy TN270 Li-ion Charger for Li-Ion Cylindrical Cells

Model: TN270
Cell Size Compatible: 14500/18500/18650/RCR123A
Number of Cells:

Indicators: LED
Charging Indicator:

Charging Current: 500mA
Compatible Chemistry: Li-Ion
Input Voltage: 100 - 240V AC/12 - 24V DC
Charging Voltage Range: 2.5V - 4.25V
Rated Charging Current:

Trickle Charging Current:

LED Indicators:
No Battery: Solid Green
Charging: Solid Red
Fully Charged: Solid Green
Short Circuit: Solid Green
Reverse Polarity: Solid Green
That should be fine...it's a low end charger...there are MUCH better ones out!

4.25vdc is actually OVER charged and putting undue stress on the Li Ion...they should be AT or below 4.20vdc

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
For safety reasons, lithium-ion cannot exceed 4.20V/cell. While a higher voltage would boost capacity, over-voltage shortens service life and compromises safety.
lithium2.jpg

Figure 5: Effects on cycle life at elevated charge voltages

Higher charge voltages boost capacity but lowers cycle life and compromises safety.

Source: Choi et al. (2002)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread