Life expectancy of AW IMR 18650 3.7v 1600mah Batteries???

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
Hi guys, I'm new to these batteries. So just a few questions..

I got two AW IMR 18650 3.7V 1600mAh batts from SuperT Manufacturing...

1.) What is the life expectancy on these, how long will they last before needing to buy new ones? Are they rated for a certain number of charge cycles? Is there a ruff amount of months?

2.) My bats only charge upto 4.1V (at least that's what my lava tube tells me). By the end of the day I'm down to about 3.7V. Should I continue using down to 3.3-3.5v, or is it ok to charge every night?

3.) I know I'm not supposed to charge unattended, should I worry about doing it while sleeping? Or will over charging for a few hours while sleeping cause any problems?

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Hi guys, I'm new to these batteries. So just a few questions..

I got two AW IMR 18650 3.7V 1600mAh batts from SuperT Manufacturing...

1.) What is the life expectancy on these, how long will they last before needing to buy new ones? Are they rated for a certain number of charge cycles? Is there a ruff amount of months?

I have no actual idea the # of charge cycles but it should be in the 500+ range...if you charge everyday, that is well over 1yr of usage....

2.) My bats only charge upto 4.1V (at least that's what my lava tube tells me). By the end of the day I'm down to about 3.7V. Should I continue using down to 3.3-3.5v, or is it ok to charge every night?

...max charge is 4.2v...that tenth of a volt is well within the accuracy factor of the meters involved or the charger used...it is better to not run batts all the way down before recharging...so charging every night is best.

3.) I know I'm not supposed to charge unattended, should I worry about doing it while sleeping? Or will over charging for a few hours while sleeping cause any problems?

...since 4.2v is max charge, and anything over that would be destructive, you are not "overcharging"...the charger should be kicking out before then...the danger is if the charger doesn't kick out, it may well destroy the batt, possibly catastrophically...although that is not supposed to happen with IMR batts....

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

madjack:2cool:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
IMR18650 Specifications :
Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1600mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 4.5A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 10C
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

According to Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University it is better to undercharge a battery than to fully charge one, as previously stated 0.1V is insignificant. Charge cycle is only an indication. It depends on how the battery is used wrt longevity. Stressing a battery will shorten its life etc... this is not the case as you have a high drain battery. Things that will damage a battery is going below the LV threshold or overcharging. In your case by all means charge it at the end of the day (better for the battery) It is the amount of chemistry in the battery that determines cycles, as this is being used up, less is available to produce work and charge vaping times will decrease and charge cycles will increase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread