life expectancy of nitecore i4 intellicharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
I've had mine for about a year and a half now. I noticed yesterday that it was getting quite hot while charging not the battery the charger and also noticed that it was warm from just being plugged in is time for a new one? Has it happen to anybody else, should I stick with nitecore or go with something else . if I can't trust it I don't want it period .

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hmm... Seems to be somewhat normal for this charger?
Review of Charger Nitecore Intellicharger i4

Temperature1.png

Temperature2.png

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Mine has been going strong for several years now, it does tend to get warm.
But recently I've noticed one sled acting a bit dodgy, my original two-bay charger (don't recall the brand) had to be replaced when one sled snapped so I've already ordered a Digicharger for that inevitability.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some heat is normal while charging. I've had a 2 bay for over a year, it's holding up fine.

My question is, are you noticing HEAT generally for the first time? The intellechargers tend to charge a bit more speedily than some other chargers. The two bay one does at least. You can get other chargers that charge more slowly and hence, generate less heat. It's arguable that it may be better for the batteries and you may want to look into slower charging chargers, if it's a concern.

If it is a SUDDEN, ABNORMAL, and VAST change in heat levels, I'd probably retire it. It could ALSO be your batteries getting elderly is within the realm of speculation, although I am not 100% sure it is, and if you try a newer battery and still get SUDDEN, ABNORMAL, and VAST change, I would retire it.

No point getting into potential troubles for the cost of a charger. My batteries do heat up though when they charge, some heat is normal but scorching heat is not. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've owned a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 for a few years now. Aside from being what I consider to be a slow charger, it has very minimal indicator lights to indicate its charging status. I don't recall any heat generation with my i4, even when charging four batteries simultaneously.

About a year ago I upgraded to a higher end charger, the Xtar VP4, which displays much more information about battery charging status with a very nice, larger LCD screen. This charger can charge two batteries up to 1 amp speed with its two outer bays. If all four bays are full, the amp speed automatically drops down to 0.5 amp by default for all four bays.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread