Life insurance, being a non smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synnuh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Orange Park, FL
I sell life insurance and can say that of all the companies I represent, only 1 company considers vaping as non smoking. Americo simplified issue / underwriting will approve vapers as non smokers, as well as smokeless, pipes and cigars. Max face on those policies is $30,000 but they do have a term with return of premium rider.

The rest have all said that anything remotely close to smoking / nicotine use is considered smoking.

Anything that requires you to do parameds (blood, urine, and saliva) will show up as nicotine use and you'll get rated up a few tables.

For policies under $49,999 you can get away with simplified issue (no parameds) but for anything over a $50,000 face amount you're going to have to do the fully underwritten products and they'll find the nicotine.

There is also a 2 year contestability that the insurance company has to dispute claims. If you falsify anything on the application (mainly for simplified issue products) and you pass within the first 2 years, they are 99% of the time going to work to deny the claim. If they choose to do that, your family's options are pretty much limited because the insurance companies will spend the money to prevent paying it, and wearing your family down until they just give up. The companies will find out about anything you're hiding if you go fully underwritten.

What size policy are you considering? I may be able to direct you towards a company that can help get you approved. Also, how old are you? Any pre-existing conditions? What meds are you taking? Are you looking for term, whole or universal?

You can send those to me in PM and I'll try to get back to you.

Last edited:

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I could have sworn I saw somebody who had an insurance background say something to the effect that your policy would be voided if nicotine was discovered in the bloodstream. I didn't like that nor did I feel it was fair but that appeared to be how it (presence of nicotine) was or would be interpreted. Guilty by association unfortunately ...

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I was going to get life insurance not too long ago...I felt like I got really bad advice and told them I reconsidered. The guy that set me up with the insurance company told me to drop nicotine use for several days so I'd be clean...that just didn't sit well with me. I just felt like I was setting my family up for failure should something happen to me.

If I put these down for 2 or 3 days, I'm going to quit for good..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread